Obama Reverses Stance on Off-shore Drilling - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Obama Reverses Stance on Off-shore Drilling

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Expanded drilling activity will undoubtedly be billed as good for the economy and job creation, and good for our national energy independence; and conservatives have been saying these things for years, with their words falling on the deaf ears of the majority party.  Such words are true – domestic production of the oil we will inevitably use can only be better than imported oil.

Finally, something good from the Obama administration.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

JerryBeeds

JerryBeeds
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
While I'm glad this is going to happen, its just another example of how everything Obama says comes with an expiration date.
SEC Talk SEC Pickem' 2006/07 Co-Champion

Posted Image

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I hope that expiration date is November 2012

Posted Image

Weston M

Weston M

I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sounds good on paper. However, I'm interested to see how much it may cost "us" to do it.

Posted Image

Robzilla

Robzilla

Do you feel like we do?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hey guys, what if we compromised with the conservatives and did this off-shore drilling thing.  Then we could tax the shiv out of the oil companies and maybe pay for some of this multi-trillion dollar debt we've created!

Translation=I would be surprised if this had any significant impact with what middle class America pays at the pump.

Bo Cognizes

Bo Cognizes

I'm the best, hands down, they nicknamed me 6:30.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Robzilla said:

Hey guys, what if we compromised with the conservatives and did this off-shore drilling thing.  Then we could tax the shiv out of the oil companies and maybe pay for some of this multi-trillion dollar debt we've created!

Translation=I would be surprised if this had any significant impact with what middle class America pays at the pump.

I was told one time (admittedly, I didn't do the research to back it up, so it may or may not be true) that the amount of drilling is not the problem. The problem is that our refineries are constantly running at well under their capacity. Build more refineries/run them at capacity and we wouldn't be in the situation we are in. However, it's all about making a profit, so that's not going to happen as long as we continue to buy it.

Posted Image

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If they would open up drilling on the Atlantic coast, the Gulf, and in Alaska, it would be a great thing for the overall economy; jobs, sales, etc., would boom.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

AUskip07

AUskip07

Time to make History

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He is a politician  they all to that.    ill be interested to see how many jobs are created.
"Sometimes you need to decide which mountaintop you want to die on." John Dixon

Posted Image

Tator

Tator

Optimistically Disappointed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've said this a while back, but I'll say it again - I'd move my kids' swing set so they could set up a rig in my back yard if that's all it would take to get gas back consistently below $2/gal.

Today's technology for oil extraction is significantly cleaner and more eco-friendly than in years past. That means that the eco-freaks don't have a leg to stand upon when they rabidly cry out that drilling for oil destroys the environment. Their arguments are no longer valid, and since they cannot form an independent, logical thought on their own, they simply repeat their argument louder when presented with blatant facts.

As to the point of refineries; A significant portion of our gas price fluctuations come requirements placed on the Oil industry to produce several different formulations of gasoline to meet federal and state emissions standards. To top that off, there are also seasonal formulations as well as the three common octane grades you see at the pump. So, most of the country's refining capacity is broken up into regional and seasonal production runs that are never in sync with one another. Thus you have state to state and even town to town price differences.

Unifying our gasoline production under one, all encompassing emissions control standard and being rid of the seasonal blends as well as mid octane rated fuel would increase our nations overall output and supply significantly and it could bring gas prices down to early 1990's levels.

While I do applaud President Obama in his efforts to open up more areas to drilling, it still falls far too short of what needs to be done to break the Middle East's grip on our energy needs.

Edited by Tator, 31 March 2010 - 05:43 PM.
boogers on the screen

timNem

timNem

I Need A Squeegee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
A man trying to save his party
Posted Image

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
blatant pandering.
Posted Image

Spunk

Spunk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
schmlatent schmandering
Never to conquer, ever to yield.

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Ceman 22 said:

schmlatent schmandering
isn't that from the theme song to Laverne & Shirley? ahhh, you're a young bastard, you won't know of which i speak...
Posted Image

Spunk

Spunk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I know more about you than you know about you G.I. Joe villain.

Yes, I am going to continue calling you G.I. Joe references for a long time.
Never to conquer, ever to yield.

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Ceman 22 said:

I know more about you than you know about you G.I. Joe villain.

Yes, I am going to continue calling you G.I. Joe references for a long time.
it's better than what most people call me.
Posted Image