SEC Officials - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

SEC Officials

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The officials at the USC/KY game were in disarray.  They spent more time in huddles than the Gamecocks did.  They blew several calls, couldn't tell when the USC crossed the goal line or when KY didn't.  They were booed as they WALKED off the field at halftime. (I couldn't believe that they weren't a little more concerned for their safety, most of the time, officials disappear very quickly at half and at the end of the game).

My brother-in-law and I were discussing how bad they were during the second half, and then it dawned on us:  this was the USC/KY game and there was no TV.  Therefore, they sent us the bottom of the barrel as far as officiating crews were concerned.  I suspect the best crew was at TENN/UGA and that LSU/Vandy and UF/MSTATE got top crews as well.

I know that officiating crews are scored at every game, yet I have never seen a report or a ranking of who is the best/worst.  Does anyone know if the reports are published?  Is anyone doing a study of officiating in the NCAA?

the Paradox

the Paradox

Supergenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We can thank Roy Kramer for the pitiful state of officiating in the SEC. The officials are not given games based on merit and the crew system was abolished in 92 or 93 when Kramer made hs famous "Vanderbilt deserves the same quaility officials as Alabama" speech. Since that overall, which supervisor Bobby Gaston objected to at the time, the quality of officiating has steadily declined. The officials are graded but that plays a very little part in the system.  I remember Coach Shula saying last year that he was tired of receiving apologies from Gaston.   RTR
Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It was HORRIBLE at the SC/UK game. I was in the upper deck and could see that our player got into the endzone and didnt get the call. I also saw pass interferences that didnt get called. UK got so many calls in their favor on their first TD drive that when UK finally got the TD(HELL, the officials should've just went ahead and put 7 on the board for them) that when they kicked the extra field goal a fan got the ball and threw it out of the stadium :D Of course he got kicked out of the game. I dont know where the hell they got those refs from...probably either some clown college or from RMU(Remedial Coaching University).......now that I think about it, there was a short bus at the stadium I saw the refs getting out of before the game:D
all your bases are belong to us

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was wondering what was going on in the endzone after the kick.  I thought that the guy was just holding onto the ball.  I didn't know he threw it out of the stadium!

I agree with your critique of the officiating in Columbia, but I am really interested if there is a place on the web to go to see how the various refs rate.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Dr. Pepper said:

I agree with your critique of the officiating in Columbia, but I am really interested if there is a place on the web to go to see how the various refs rate.

I dont know if there is or not. If there isnt then I think there should be. Im sure the conference keeps up with how well the officials do, but I dont know if that information is released to the public. If not maybe there would be a way for us to start keeping up with it. I do know that the ref who called a safety against SC when we were playing Ole Miss two years ago when: A.)it wasnt intentional grounding, and B.)Pinkins was on the FREAKIN TWO YARD LINE, only got a one game suspension for the horrible call of the year.

I think if it had been a bigger game yesterday some of those things would've been reviewed. With it just being SC/UK and the game not being on TV for a larger audience to see the incompetence of the officials I think they just let a lot of bad calls stand. Either way those refs comlpetely SUCKED.

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I am sure that it is a well protected list, but I dare say that the coaches get their hands on it some way.  Somehow, there needs to be a sunshine rule.

uscrebel

uscrebel

April 2005 Poster of the Month

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was at the UCLA/CAL game yesterday (No I did not get to USC/Ariz....long story), what we noticed is on three obvious touchdowns, the officials did not make the call.  We realized they were afraid of making a call that would be overturned by replay.

Then there was the problem of "TV timeouts."  I'm not sure what it worse, bad officials and a game that moves along quickly or "good" officials and a game that drags.

The unexamined life is not worth living.

grapenuts

grapenuts
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't have too many complaints about the crew we had on the field, sporadic holding called as usual...

but the idiots in the booth in charge of instant replays dropped the ball bigtime.  Every close or questionable call was let go, while the most obvious calls got reviewed.

CockyTatGuy

CockyTatGuy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Did you guys notice the number of clipping calls and blocks in the back we had yesterday.  I know we earned some of them but I just didn't see the others (though with the jumbotron being broke we didn't get any replays.)
Heyyyyy hey baby I wanna know oh oh if you'll be my girl. The new Gamecocks Fight Song. lol.

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Here is the team for the USC/KY Game.  As a team, they score poor with me.  

Referee:  Terry Brown
Umpire:  James Allison
Line Judge:  Cleve Hale, III
Linesman:  Joe Dawson
Back Judge:  Stan Murray
Field Judge:  M. Williams
Side Judge:  Don Shanks

Can we figure out a way to score the officials each week?

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Dr. Pepper said:

Here is the team for the USC/KY Game.  As a team, they score poor with me.  

Referee:  Terry Brown
Umpire:  James Allison
Line Judge:  Cleve Hale, III
Linesman:  Joe Dawson
Back Judge:  Stan Murray
Field Judge:  M. Williams
Side Judge:  Don Shanks

Can we figure out a way to score the officials each week?
You bring up a good point Dr. Pepper and I think a score on the refs would be a great addition to the site. Maybe we could get the names of the staff from the games each week and figure out a way to score them by letting the members of this site vote on the jobs done in the games. It would be a little bit of work but I think it would be really interesting to see if the same names keep coming up on bad calls and to get an idea of what kinds of jobs the staffs are doing each week.

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
How about it Administrators?  Any way you can set something up?

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Dr. Pepper said:

How about it Administrators?  Any way you can set something up?
I think its a great idea. Does anyone know of a site where you can get the names of the officials for the games?? Its time to start the Rate-A-Ref thread!