Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Mississippi State Recruiting Thread

* * * * - 6 votes

• Please log in to reply
4424 replies to this topic

bulldawg28

bulldawg28
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 17 December 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

That is why Meyer brought in Mullen to start with.
He needed someone to push him. Y'all see what we became with the SAME EFFING TEAM without him.
Merlin took the potion to Starkville with him. :(

Mullen is the man.

MerlinsJizzSack

MerlinsJizzSack

en fuego

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
Lol

Swayze Field - Oxford University Stadium

Posted Image

The best damned college baseball experience in the land

Formerly known as RebelFan4Life

KnoxvilleDawg

KnoxvilleDawg

ALL HAIL LORD MERLIN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 17 December 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

That is why Meyer brought in Mullen to start with.
He needed someone to push him. Y'all see what we became with the SAME EFFING TEAM without him.
Merlin took the potion to Starkville with him. :(

Maybe Urban will come help us out and tell Merlin to STFU when he wants to run Perkins up the middle for the 5th time in a row. Or tell him to stop drawing up 7 step drop backs w/ 5 receiver sets when everyone sees a blitz coming! Merlin is good, but his staff is a bunch of Merlinittes.

SECTalk Hater's Club Inspiration

Formerly known as Meo Stansbury

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMeo Stansbury, on 17 December 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Maybe Urban will come help us out and tell Merlin to STFU when he wants to run Perkins up the middle for the 5th time in a row. Or tell him to stop drawing up 7 step drop backs w/ 5 receiver sets when everyone sees a blitz coming! Merlin is good, but his staff is a bunch of Merlinittes.

Tears in my eyes right now.
Merlinittes hahahaha

Urban was the conservative one, Mullen was the risk taker.
They balanced each other out which is why our offense was incredible when we had the players and they were both on staff.
Meyer approved of Addazio's offensive plans, so we know he was the boring one who needed someone to challenge him.

I don't know what Merlin's deal is at State the past couple of years, but our offense was Top10 when he was here and hasn't finished inside the Top100 since he left.

BatesvilleBaron

BatesvilleBaron
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
MERLINITTES UNITE.  

ALL HAIL MERLIN.

TRUST THE POTION.

Also percey Harvin was pretty good....

shamoan

shamoan

Technique is a crutch for the talentless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
i wouldnt mind mullen calling some plays here and there....after all, him and a few fantastic players are what allowed florida to win NCs.  my concern is that the playcalling is so bland, and i feel as though mullen recognizes it, yet nothing is getting done about it....hopefully, something happens this off season, so i guess we will just have to wait.  surely he recognizes that we are currently not cutting it in the playcalling dept.

BatesvilleBaron

BatesvilleBaron
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Our playcalling is not bland for college football.  Most teams run fairly simple O's because there is a pretty low ceiling of what most college teams can execute.

Each week there is new install and new coaching on each part of the gameplan to digest.  

This is the norm

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBatesvilleBaron, on 18 December 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

Our playcalling is not bland for college football.  Most teams run fairly simple O's because there is a pretty low ceiling of what most college teams can execute.

Each week there is new install and new coaching on each part of the gameplan to digest.  

This is the norm

Good post.

I don't think the playcalling was necessarily bad, I just don't think it was properly catered to our personnel sometimes.  AKA running Perkins off-tackle.  Not a bad play if its Griffin or Milton running it.  

Plain and simple, we just don't have the horses or right personnel to run an offense exactly like Mullen wants.  You got to remember he hasn't had to deal with too many pocket passing QB's.  I'm willing to bet that if Mullen is still here when Dak takes over the reigns, we will see more "creativity" like folks are wanting.  Because that's what Mullen's jam is.

Regardless of lack of creativity, we just had arguably our best passing season ever and one of our best offensive productions ever.

FIRE EVERYONE

dawgbit

dawgbit

"Liberty isn't a loophole."--nova

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Gotta get those horses. Gotta have the right horse whisperers'. Gotta have 'em at the same time for the potion to work. We haven't seen that happen yet.

Need less Merlinite, more Mullenista. Running 5 star offensive plays with 3 star players is gonna get you beat most of the time. When you're overmatched, you gotta be creative. Hit 'em with guerilla tactics.

Win a few we aren't s'posed to, and then we maybe get a little better situation talking to the 4 and 5 stars.

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
So back to recruiting.... Gerri Hamilton of 247 noted Chris Jones isn't done moving up.  He'll probably shoot up again into the top 5(!!) depending on his all-star game showing.

We have 6-8 spots left depending on any attrition from this class or grades casualties.  Here's the pot of 'croots we are looking at now:

Ashton Shumpert - RB/S
Donald Gray - ATH
De'Runnya Wilson - WR (another 6'5" guy)
Sunny Odogwu - OT
Joshua Dobbs - QB
Asantii Woulard - QB
Za'Darius Smith - JUCO DE
Elijah Daniel - DE
Antonio Connor - S
Jalen Ramsey - CB
Mackenzie Alexander - CB
Mackenro Alexander - S
Lavon Hooks - JUCO DT (was supposed to announce yesterday, now is announcing today.  Prob OM bound)
Tommy Sanders - JUCO LB
Javess Blue -JUCO WR
David Washington - JUCO DT
Antonio Longino - JUCO LB
Nate Willis - JUCO CB

My best-case-scenario 7, stars from 247sports.  Why?  B/c I :lanekiffin: ing said so:

A. Shumpert - 4*
S. Odogwu - 3*
J. Dobbs - 4*
J. Ramsey/MacKenzie Alexander - 5*
Z. Smith - 4*
E. Daniel - 4*
Best available (D. Wilson 3*, D. Gray 4*, T. Connor (0.00001%) 5*, N. Willis 3*, A. Longino 3*)

What I think will happen: As of today:

1)  Shumpert
2)  S. Odogwu
3)  D. Wilson
4)  J. Dobbs
5)  Z. Smith
6)  Brewster will pull at least one of these blue chips:  J. Ramsey, McZ. Alexander, E. Daniel

Should we have room for more than 6:

7)  Can Brewster pull 2 of the above group?
8)  All 3?  McR. Alexander?  JUCO CB/DT? D. Gray?

Edited by JDawg, 18 December 2012 - 09:38 AM.

FIRE EVERYONE

BatesvilleBaron

BatesvilleBaron
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Apparently Mullin's newest plan this year is to recruit a bunch of players late that are already committed to other schools....

I'm not too optimistic about flipping guys when we struggle to keep our own committs.

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBatesvilleBaron, on 18 December 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Apparently Mullin's newest plan this year is to recruit a bunch of players late that are already committed to other schools....

I'm not too optimistic about flipping guys when we struggle to keep our own committs.

Name someone outside of Kailo Moore in this years class that we are struggling to keep.  I'll hang up and listen.

Josh Dobbs and Jalen Ramsey are the only ones committed elsewhere.  I think we could flip Dobbs and its looking more and more like Ramsey wants to be close to home.

Edited by JDawg, 18 December 2012 - 09:42 AM.

FIRE EVERYONE

KnoxvilleDawg

KnoxvilleDawg

ALL HAIL LORD MERLIN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
History shows Merlin struggles to keep his own commits. You can spin it all you want, but when every season 1) Our top commits flip 2) Our top targets go elsewhere 100% of the time it shows that you struggle in recruiting.

Merlin has also shown last year (and to an extent this year) that he can build a solid class even after losing our top commits and whiffing on our top targets

MerlinsJizzSack

MerlinsJizzSack

en fuego

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
I thought it was already established that Mullen was just an average recruiter?

Swayze Field - Oxford University Stadium

Posted Image

The best damned college baseball experience in the land

Formerly known as RebelFan4Life

KnoxvilleDawg

KnoxvilleDawg

ALL HAIL LORD MERLIN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRebelFan4Life, on 18 December 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

I thought it was already established that Mullen was just an average recruiter?

Most realists will say that average is the best adjective you can use to describe Merlin's recruiting. When he was pulling in awful classes, the homers would deflect by saying that it didn't matter because he magically added 2 stars to every recruit he got on campus (hence why I call him Merlin). Now because we are keeping the core of average talent in tact, while we we are still losing our 4 star TOP commits and WHIFFING on 4 and 5 star top targets, the homers will say he is a great recruiter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users