Former Gator Percy Harvin Named NFL Rookie of the Year - Florida News - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Former Gator Percy Harvin Named NFL Rookie of the Year

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
New York, NY - Wednesday January 6, 2010

Former Florida Gator All-American Percy Harvin was named the Associated Press 2009 National Football League Offensive Rookie of the Year, as announced by the league on Wednesday. The announcement comes just days after Harvin became the 19th Gator in school history to be named to the Pro Bowl.  

Harvin joins Emmitt Smith and Jevon Kearse as the only other Gators to be bestowed the honor of Rookie of the Year. Smith took home the offensive honor in 1990 as a running back for the Dallas Cowboys, while Kearse received the defensive nod as a defensive end with the Tennessee Titans in 1999.

The Minnesota Vikings’ wide receiver/kick returner received 41 votes from the nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. Baltimore tackle Michael Oher was second with six votes. Linebacker Brian Cushing of the Houston Texans was named the Associated Press 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year.

The 22nd overall draft pick out of Florida, Harvin had 60 receptions for 790 yards and six touchdowns; rushed 15 times for 135 yards; and returned 42 kickoffs for 1,156 yards (27.5 per) and two touchdowns, one covering 101 yards. He tied with the Indianapolis Colts' Austin Collie for most catches by a rookie and set Minnesota's single-season franchise record for all-purpose yardage with 2,081.

Harvin is the sixth Vikings player to win the award, joining Adrian Peterson (2007), Randy Moss (1998), Sammy White (1976), Chuck Foreman (1973) and Paul Flatley (1963).

Gator2753

Gator2753

Going HAM since 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sounds great. Harvin was a game changer for us so this is no surprise.
Congrats Percy!

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Gator2753 said:

Sounds great. Harvin was a game changer for us so this is no surprise.
Congrats Percy!

Yeah, he had a huge year. His teammates had all kinds of glowing remarks about him:

"I call him Little Phenom," said teammate Adrian Peterson, the 2007 Offensive Rookie of the Year. "He's got the heart of a lion when he's out there playing."

"I think Percy's on his way to a league of his own," Brett Favre said. "He's quick like Wes Welker. He's got a long ways to go to be in the same category with Wes, but at the rate he's going he's a dominant force in a lot of ways."

Louis Murphy had a good year, too, considering who he was playing for, and who was throwing him the ball. The leading receiver was a TE, if that tells you anything.

2nd on the Raiders with 34 catches for 521 yards, 4 TD's, and a long of 75 yards. Rushed 6 times for 34 yards.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

leakbrewergator

leakbrewergator

UF Alum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Congrats to Percy! He definitely deserved it. As you said gatorunvrsty, Murphy had a great season as well. He's responsible for one of my favorite plays this season.

It's at 1:48.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks to TNCheckeredBoards for the sig!

Bulldog Bry

Bulldog Bry
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Actually, Harvin doesn't really have that far to go to be better than Welker. I think Farve gives himself too much credit.

Weston M

Weston M

I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Congratulations to Harvin. I'm pretty sure most of us expected him to win the award as there was no more productive, or exciting, rookie in the NFL this year. I hope the kid can stay healthy for his career because he can become one of the more dangerous players in the league if he does.

Posted Image

RoyalDBridge

RoyalDBridge
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
So you say the Gators had an offensive dropoff this season? I wonder why? Strange.

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Harvin leaves no doubt that he is worthy of this recognition. I have always admired his talent and knew he would be a very special spark for the Vikings. He is still so much fun to watch as a pro!
Posted Image