Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Official Crow-Eating Thread Re: Marquis Johnson...come and git 'yers

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Ok fellas...it's time for a big ole helpin' of crow for lots of us Tiders here at SECtalk.

Marquis Johnson was lambasted by much of Bama nation following his poor performances in the SEC CG and the Sugar Bowl last season. His play his entire career up until this season, really, has been inconsistent.

But in 2009, the kid looks like a completely different ballplayer.

Not only is he improved, but he's playing lights out in the secondary. I don't know if I've seen a DB clinic like the one he put on tonight against Mississippi State. Textbook coverage...batting balls away to save touchdowns, picking off passes, reading the QB, staying in position, good aggression. This was an amazing game for No. 24. What was it...four or five pass deflections plus an INT? He helped limit the Bulldogs to just 100 passing yards on the night. Incredible.

I was very wrong about him, I will admit. I was one of the many who suggested that true frosh Dre Kirkpatrick would step up into the role of the third CB to play in the nickel package. But alas, that position has been locked away from everyone else by Marquis Johnson.

He's gone from perhaps the most widely-criticized player on this defense to one of the unsung heroes in our quest for a National Championship. He deserves a shout-out for, not just a sensational game versus Miss. State, but a much-improved season.

Don't you just love to see his progression under Saban the last two or three years? I love seein' this kid play well and contributing for us. He kept at least two touchdowns from scoring all by himself. What a ballgame.

So fellas...eat on up, and I better hear a lot of yas smackin' on them crow feathers, cause I know I wasn't the only one.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

Nikon

Nikon

3 of 4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Man that crow tastes great, chomp chomp.....

I must admit I gave no trust to Marquis Johnson and Leigh Tiffin but boy have they proved me wrong. We would never be in the position we are in today if it weren't for these two players. They have exceeded my expectations and I am glad they were given the chances thus far. Great post UAdan!

1925  1926  1930  1934  1941 1961  1964  1965 1973 1978 1979  1992  2009  2011 2012

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He's definitely been lights out so far, and that play where he knocked the ball out in perfect timing was beautiful.

I'm not one to trash players of our University, but I will wait until the big games with alot on the line come. If he performs half as good as tonight in the SECCG, I'll be happy.

I'll still hand it to the guy, he's been impressive so far this season.

Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Nikon said:

Man that crow tastes great, chomp chomp.....

I must admit I gave no trust to Marquis Johnson and Leigh Tiffin but boy have they proved me wrong. We would never be in the position we are in today if it weren't for these two players. They have exceeded my expectations and I am glad they were given the chances thus far. Great post UAdan!

Interesting, isn't it? All these guys who have struggled in the past are finding ways to put it all together. This Alabama team just has the "feel" of a championship team. We might not be the most flashy team in America, but there's just something about us that you gotta love...a real blue-collar, focused attitude that it takes to win. Our coaching staff has done an amazing job with these players and it is great to see the success stories of Marquis Johnson, Leigh Tiffin, etc.

And you are so right, Nikon...these are the guys who are helping us towards a championship. It's a team effort, and while these guys may not receive accolades on ESPN or in newspaper articles like Ingram, McClain and Cody, etc...they are the ones who come to work game in and game out, and do their job. They've really turned it around and we would not be here if not for them.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

SEC CHAMPIONS

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've said all along he's not a bad DB. There has to be a reason why Saban has him starting nickelback. He just has brain farts when it comes to his assignments sometimes. It is however, refreshing to see him shine. This to me was a better game than the S.Carolina game, where he was awesome. The way he timed those PBUs were a thing of beauty. He also stole what would have been Barron's 3rd int of the night lol.

Djshockley3

Djshockley3
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This guy is almost a different player this year.

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

nooneLT said:

I've said all along he's not a bad DB. There has to be a reason why Saban has him starting nickelback. He just has brain farts when it comes to his assignments sometimes. It is however, refreshing to see him shine. This to me was a better game than the S.Carolina game, where he was awesome. The way he timed those PBUs were a thing of beauty. He also stole what would have been Barron's 3rd int of the night lol.

Agreed.  I've said plenty of times he basically starts for us, and would start for most teams in this league as a top 2 corner.    However, there's no doubt that over his career he's been known to miss a lot of assignments and just get lost or be inconsistent in his technique allowing completed passes when he's had proper position by neither making a play on the ball nor making a play on the receiver.   But he absolutely shined in the USC game, and since then you could argue he's been as good as either Kareem or Arenas (who can both be considered number 1 corners).   His plays in the MSU game though were as impressive as any I've seen b a Bama corner in quite some time, those breakups were just gold.

The light has turned on, and if it stays on I like our chances that much better vs Florida and possibly Texas
Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Chalk

Chalk

I'll get inside your face

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hell, I'm guilty too.  I did a lot of badmouthing myself, and was wrong.  He was swattin' balls away left and right Sat. night..... gave them Bulldogs pure hell.  Yes sir I'm proud to have him.
Posted Image

Robzilla

Robzilla

Do you feel like we do?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He's the most attacked DB in our defense.  Opposing offenses look at him as the weakest link.  After Saturday's game, I think they'll start looking elsewhere.

I've been critical of Johnson myself early in the season.  It won't be the first time I've eaten crow around here and damn sure won't be the last.

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Chalk said:

Hell, I'm guilty too.  I did a lot of badmouthing myself, and was wrong.  He was swattin' balls away left and right Sat. night..... gave them Bulldogs pure hell.  Yes sir I'm proud to have him.

Robzilla said:

He's the most attacked DB in our defense.  Opposing offenses look at him as the weakest link.  After Saturday's game, I think they'll start looking elsewhere.

I've been critical of Johnson myself early in the season.  It won't be the first time I've eaten crow around here and damn sure won't be the last.

Well to be fair to yourselves, he deserved some bad mouthing in past seasons and even earlier in this season.  Great to see him turn it around.  He's the tallest and fastest corner of our 3 primary guys, shame it took this long
Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Robzilla

Robzilla

Do you feel like we do?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

M2J said:

Well to be fair to yourselves, he deserved some bad mouthing in past seasons and even earlier in this season.  Great to see him turn it around.  He's the tallest and fastest corner of our 3 primary guys, shame it took this long

True, I think after that azz chewing he took on the field from McClain in the VT game, he decided he'd better pull it together.  I'm proud of his improvement.  He's turned into a big factor on our D just because he's attacked so much being the 3rd DB on the depth chart.

thy name is Yo

thy name is Yo

GENIUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'll admit I've wanted to waterboard Johnson on more than one occasion but now I might make out with him.....  Wait a minute did I just type that?
Posted Image

CrimsonKid

CrimsonKid

Roll Tide Roll!

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
I can't believe I doubted him. When Arenas was out in the SC game I thought, "oh crap, Marquis Johnson is in." That game showed me he improved a lot since last season. Now after his performance in the Miss State game I see he is fitting right in.

My crow is ready, where's the hot sauce?
#2 Alabama  7-0 (4-0)

vs Tennessee - 10/22 @ 7:15 p.m.

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was wrong. He finally turned around and looked for the ball.

SERVE IT UP !!!!!! :)
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

azamugg

azamugg

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
not tryin to one up anybody but I never trashed the guy..........he was a hotshot out of high school and has always played better than your average corner and been consistent........he's just literally been beat up and stygmatized over 3 plays and frankly thats not fair but idiots over at BOL take one criticizm they read and run with it like all of a sudden theyre the expert........BOL pisses me off if you cant tell

Marquis didnt all of a sudden become a lockdown corner, he's always been in the top echelon of corners in this league.............we've been spoiled at Bama with our history of top shelf DB's (which is phenomenal) so when one goofs it is made out to be waaaaay bigger than it should be
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image