Do You Believe In Ghosts? - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Do You Believe In Ghosts?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Believe In Ghosts? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Believe In Ghosts?

1. Yes (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Well, college football is so close we can almost smell the pigskin in the air. However, there is only so much we can talk about practices everyday. I figured I would make a thread to keep us distracted at least a little while longer while we all wait on the best time of the year. So heres the question:

Do you believe in ghosts?

Feel free to give any reasoning or share any experiences.
all your bases are belong to us

BeeDee

BeeDee
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Nope.  Never seen any proof or evidence that they exist.
Original Image: http://www.servercentrix.com/albums/sectalk_news/o_zone.gif

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

cocky4ever said:

Well, college football is so close we can almost smell the pigskin in the air. However, there is only so much we can talk about practices everyday. I figured I would make a thread to keep us distracted at least a little while longer while we all wait on the best time of the year. So heres the question:

Do you believe in ghosts?

Feel free to give any reasoning or share any experiences.

I don't, but South Louisiana is loaded with old plantations where ghost tales abound.  The Myrtles (a plantation at St. Francisville) is only a few miles from Baton Rouge and they are often called "the most haunted place in America."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BeeDee said:

Nope.  Never seen any proof or evidence that they exist.
I dont have any concrete evidence that they exist, but I have seen things that I cant explain in which cases a spirit could be an explanation for what happened. One time I was hangin out with some friends in a house in which a few people had died. I think one or two killed themselves, one was murdered, and one died from health problems. We were sitting around watching tv and there was a lighter on the coffee table. Everyone was relaxing and all of a sudden a flame about 2 feet tall starting shooting out of the side of the lighter. Not the top part, but straight through the plastic part on the side. It stopped after about 20 seconds(I guess, it was kinda hard to know how much time had passed). After about another minute of everyone just staring at it not knowing what the hell just happened or if it was gonna blow up someone finally picked it up and there was no more fluid in it and no crack or hole in the plastic for the fluid to get out. I still dont know how the hell the fluid ignited and came straight through the plastic.

In the same house I once saw someone light a candle and place it on the floor beside the coffee table. After having it burn for about 30-40 minutes he got up to go to the bathroom and noticed that there was wax surrounding his shoes. There was no melted wax in the candle and none leading to his shoes, but his shoes were surrounded with wax. I still dont know how that happened either.

I have also heard some stories from reliable sources that suggested the presence of some kind of spirit, but those are the only times I've seen something that crazy with my own eyes.

Djshockley3

Djshockley3
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I have had friends tell me they have seen a ghost before,but I have never seen any so No I don't believe.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hmmm, I woulda thought more people believed in ghosts than in aliens. Guess not.

Cianne

Cianne

Oct. 2005 Poster of the Month

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

cocky4ever said:

Hmmm, I woulda thought more people believed in ghosts than in aliens. Guess not.

I believe in the human soul but I don't believe that the soul inhabits this plane of existence. However, I do believe there to be a good possibility that extraterrestial life for in a universe of near infinite size and near infinite stars and worlds, there would have to be another planet with the ecology to support life such as Earth. Of course that relies heavily on the assumption that extraterrestial life is similar in their physiology to Earth life.

WayzUp

WayzUp

Cynical Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

cocky4ever said:

I dont have any concrete evidence that they exist, but I have seen things that I cant explain in which cases a spirit could be an explanation for what happened. One time I was hangin out with some friends in a house in which a few people had died. I think one or two killed themselves, one was murdered, and one died from health problems. We were sitting around watching tv and there was a lighter on the coffee table. Everyone was relaxing and all of a sudden a flame about 2 feet tall starting shooting out of the side of the lighter. Not the top part, but straight through the plastic part on the side. It stopped after about 20 seconds(I guess, it was kinda hard to know how much time had passed). After about another minute of everyone just staring at it not knowing what the hell just happened or if it was gonna blow up someone finally picked it up and there was no more fluid in it and no crack or hole in the plastic for the fluid to get out. I still dont know how the hell the fluid ignited and came straight through the plastic.

In the same house I once saw someone light a candle and place it on the floor beside the coffee table. After having it burn for about 30-40 minutes he got up to go to the bathroom and noticed that there was wax surrounding his shoes. There was no melted wax in the candle and none leading to his shoes, but his shoes were surrounded with wax. I still dont know how that happened either.

I have also heard some stories from reliable sources that suggested the presence of some kind of spirit, but those are the only times I've seen something that crazy with my own eyes.

Dang, I've never seen anything like that without having been doing something I could blame it on.  A friend of mine once claimed to have had 4 three-foot penguins follow him around all night one night but I never saw them. ;)  He told me they grew out of some ice cubes he dropped early on in the evening.  

But anyway, the closest thing to freaky I've come across probably sounds like one of those cliche stories.  I took a late night phone call for my first roommate in college from a guy who said he was his best friend from back home...outside Houston, if I remember right.  Anyway, my roommate wasn't there that weekend, he had gone home & I told the guy as much but I was just in from Five Points so I could have just as easily told the guy about the Jagermeister shot girl but I don't think so...it had to be 3am or so.  I digress, later that same morning...a more reasonable hour for most, I'd guess 10 or 11am...my roommate comes in and I tell him that so-and-so called.  He gets all pissed off and takes off after informing me of what a monumental assholio I am.  

Long story short, whoever it was that called was a pretty good friend of my then-roommate but had died like three nights before in a car wreck...which means he had to have been dead two days before he called my room looking for his friend.  Figure that one out....i've never been able to and my then-roommate never did believe that I wasn't trying to play some sick joke on him.  Why anyone would think doing something like that intentionally would ever be funny is beyond me but it's the only explanation I can think of...someone that didn't like him from back home called knowing he wouldn't be there?  :confused:

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Cianne said:

I believe in the human soul but I don't believe that the soul inhabits this plane of existence. However, I do believe there to be a good possibility that extraterrestial life for in a universe of near infinite size and near infinite stars and worlds, there would have to be another planet with the ecology to support life such as Earth. Of course that relies heavily on the assumption that extraterrestial life is similar in their physiology to Earth life.
Thats a good point. There is life all over Earth, even in places once considered uninhabitable. From the North Pole to the depths of volcanoes life has found a way to flourish. I think its pretty safe to say that given the staggering size of the universe there is probably life somewhere else.

BeeDee

BeeDee
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Speaking of freaky coincidences:

My best friend in elementary school and junior high school's name was John Wesley Marble.  We called him Wes.  He died in a car wreck on January 29, 1991 and we buried him at noon on February 1, 1991.  Time went on and I had a new best friend.  Joseph Wade Hollingsworth, whom we called Wade.  Wade and I were best buds through high school and college and even lived together after school for a while before I got married.  Wade died in a work related car wreck on January 29, 2004 - exactly 13 years to the day after Wes did.  We buried him on February 1, 2004 in the SAME cemetary as Wes.  During both of their funerals, the tornado sirens went off (they always test them at noon on the first of the month).  So, I lost two friends, both with the initials J.W., who went by their middle names that started with W, on the same day, 13 years apart, buried them on the same day 13 years apart in the same cemetary (you can see each of their graves from the other one), tornado sirens went off during both graveside services.  And to make matters even freakier, I had a son (my second) on December 17, 2003 (a little over a month before Wade died) and we named him Jonathan Wesley (after Wes)... I hope the curse of the JW's doesn't follow him.
Original Image: http://www.servercentrix.com/albums/sectalk_news/o_zone.gif

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Cianne said:

I believe that conciousness can travel out of this body and that all souls are connected. I've had a friend of mine dream about another friend of ours coming up and kissing her. That wouldnt be so weird except for the fact that she dreamed about it the exact day he fell off of a mountain and into a coma. She hadnt talked to him for weeks before that. Its kinda like his conciousness was out of his body and telling her something that he didnt have the courage to tell her in person.

There are also many,many well documented cases of astral projection.

Cianne

Cianne

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

cocky4ever said:

I believe that conciousness can travel out of this body and that all souls are connected. I've had a friend of mine dream about another friend of ours coming up and kissing her. That wouldnt be so weird except for the fact that she dreamed about it the exact day he fell off of a mountain and into a coma. She hadnt talked to him for weeks before that. Its kinda like his conciousness was out of his body and telling her something that he didnt have the courage to tell her in person.

There are also many,many well documented cases of astral projection.

Astral projection wouldn't be on this plane, but I see what you're saying. Dreams and memories are a funny thing especially when you look at them from a pure neurological standpoint. Memories aren't actually stored in a single point in the brain but really as electrical impulses along neurons all over. The impulses get jumbled up sometimes and thus dreams can be created out of random memories or you can swear up and down that the basketball you saw the day before was purple and not orange.

HSVTider

HSVTider
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My great grandmother passed away in 1988 (I was 7 at the time). Before she died she was very sick and bed ridden for about two months. While she was in the bed, she had an old cowbell that she would ring if she needed something.

Well, after she died, my mom got the cowbell and we had it sitting on the bottom of the coffee table.

About two weeks after the funeral (if I remember correctly), my Mom and I were getting ready to go to the mall and the bell started ringing.

It scared us at first, but then we realized that is was probably "granny" or someone letting us know that she was okay.

There have been a couple of other experiences, but they're a little more eerie and I don't feel like typing them out. So, in short, yes I do believe in ghosts.

HSVTider

HSVTider
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Cianne said:

Astral projection wouldn't be on this plane, but I see what you're saying. Dreams and memories are a funny thing especially when you look at them from a pure neurological standpoint. Memories aren't actually stored in a single point in the brain but really as electrical impulses along neurons all over. The impulses get jumbled up sometimes and thus dreams can be created out of random memories or you can swear up and down that the basketball you saw the day before was purple and not orange.

Its also pretty fascinating that we only use 10-15% of our brains. What does the other 85% do? Makes you wonder.

Cianne

Cianne

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

HSVTider said:

Its also pretty fascinating that we only use 10-15% of our brains. What does the other 85% do? Makes you wonder.

I'll give you an answer in the fall. We're going to be more in depth obviously in Neuroanatomy than we were in Med Phys.