Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Chizik sets dress code standards

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

AUcarlton

AUcarlton

positively grandiloquent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
To me it says something to dress the part and act the part as well as play the part. Props to Chizik for setting an etiquette standard.

Auburn coach Chizik sets new standard with dress code for football players

AUBURN, Ala. — When Gene Chizik met with his players for the first time after being hired in December, he glanced over at a casually dressed Lee Ziemba, whose ensemble consisted of a purple shirt and pants that had bits of orange, green and yellow.

“Everybody thought he was like a crayon box,” cornerback Walt McFadden joked.

It was the first and last time that would happen under the watchful eye of Chizik, who has instituted a strict set of rules for his players in the athletic complex with regards to tidiness and appearance.

“Everything’s going to be night and day, so you can’t say, ‘Oh, I didn’t notice,’” defensive end Antoine Carter said. “They put everything up front so you know.”

In the locker room, each player’s area must be tidy, with clothes, shoes, helmets and shoulder pads neatly aligned.

“Everything’s got a place,” Ziemba said, “and they check it.”

No hats, jewelry or cleats are allowed in the facility. And if you violate those rules?

“They’ll probably take it from you,” Carter said. “Earrings are not cheap nowadays.”

“It sounds childish but at the same time it’s something that if you look good, you’re going to play good,” center Ryan Pugh said.

The dress code extends to when the players are out in public. Chizik wants them to look presentable, no surprise from a coach whose wardrobe of slick-looking shirts and sharp blazers looks like it’s directly lifted from the pages of GQ magazine.

“This is Auburn. Respect it,” said Chizik, who has set down similar rules in all 23 years of his coaching career. “When you’re out in public, make people know who you are because you’re doing it the Auburn way.

“When people see, make them understand right now, ‘That must be an Auburn football player because I can tell with the way he carries himself.’ That’s important to us. That’s what we talk to them about every day, and we’re going to be unbending on that.”

“We want to model our coach,” McFadden said. “We want to speak like him, we want to talk like him, we want to dress like him. We want to be better like him.”

It goes beyond how the players dress and present themselves. The coaches demand precision on the playing field too, whether it’s doing a drill or simply taking the field.

A large Auburn logo is painted in a white circle on the practice field just outside the athletic complex. When the players leave the facility, they must walk down the right side of the ramp and meet in the circle, where strength and conditioning coach Kevin Yoxall breaks them down before they take the field.

When they leave, they have to hustle until they get to the logo again.

“Practice is not over until you reach that AU,” Ziemba said.

The rules might seem trivial, but the players have bought into them, convinced it will translate to a sharper performance on the football field.

“If I take a step here, and not here,” Ziemba said, moving his foot six inches, “that’s a big difference in whether I’m going to block that three tech and cut him off in the back side of a zone. It’s a huge difference. It’s all about the little things.

“(Chizik’s) goal was to make no gray area on anything so we’re not guessing. He lays out the expectations for us, and when those expectations are implemented, we follow them.”

Ledger-Enquirer.com | 03/29/2009 | Auburn coach Chizik sets new standard with dress code for football players

Posted Image

THE_KRIEG

THE_KRIEG
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
As long as we bring back those slick black cleats, I'll be alright. Seriously, I just hate those white cleats. They look junior highish.

Posted Image

AUviaDC101

AUviaDC101

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
I think its Racist...

Just Kidding.  Actually, I think he should make the whole team wear polos, and khakis...  And timberland chukkas...  Make them look preppy.  And/or make them where white shirts, ties, blue blazers and khakis...

F@ck it!  Make the whole school wear uniforms.  ESPECIALLY the women.  Standard skirts, and socks, and heels... and tank tops...

STANDARD!

:-)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

AUcarlton

AUcarlton

positively grandiloquent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Skirts can't be below the wrist...

Posted Image

AUviaDC101

AUviaDC101

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • Cash:

AUcarlton said:

Damn... Yours standards are VERY strict sir.  However, I think to be fair to the female gender.  NO SKIRTS below STANDARD Camel Toe!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

AUTiger94

AUTiger94

I'm a zit get it?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

KRIEGER said:

As long as we bring back those slick black cleats, I'll be alright. Seriously, I just hate those white cleats. They look junior highish.
More like 1983'ish.
Posted Image

AUTiger94

AUTiger94

I'm a zit get it?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

AUcarlton said:

The wrist huh? Dude I like your thinking.:D
Posted Image

Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

AUviaDC101 said:

I think its Racists

Just Kidding.  Actually, I think he should make the whole team wear polos, and khakis...  And timberland chukkas...  Make them look preppy.  And/or make them where white shirts, ties, blue blazers and khakis...

F@ck it!  Make the whole school wear uniforms.  ESPECIALLY the women.  Standard skirts, and socks, and heels... and tank tops...

STANDARD!
:-)

What's wrong w/ polos (aka golf shirt) & khakis? I wear them every day...even weekends. The weekend version though is usually shorts instead of pants. :) I also prefer mercerized cotton or similar breathable materials in the shirts. The Polo brand shirts tend to be thick cotton.... no thanks!

I own only one pair of jeans and rarely get them out of the closet. Khakis are much more comfortable.
Posted Image

AUviaDC101

AUviaDC101

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • Cash:

WarEagle73 said:

What's wrong w/ polos (aka golf shirt) & khakis? I wear them every day...even weekends. The weekend version though is usually shorts instead of pants. :) I also prefer mercerized cotton or similar breathable materials in the shirts. The Polo brand shirts tend to be thick cotton.... no thanks!

I own only one pair of jeans and rarely get them out of the closet. Khakis are much more comfortable.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the concept either.  I went to the same school as half DC's most wealthy and powerful sent their sons to.  Our dress code was polos, and khakis...  But I think that all AUburn chicks should wear standard tank tops, and plaid skirts.  With Heels...

Standard...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PaperShaker

PaperShaker

Work, Hard Work

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
That's my kind of coach right there... a guy they all respect and model.

“We want to model our coach,” McFadden said. “We want to speak like him, we want to talk like him, we want to dress like him. We want to be better like him.”

That is the biggest measure of success so far in his short, but very pleasing reign over our tigers. War Eagle.

luperSUPERtrooper

luperSUPERtrooper
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Good to hear. Looks like he's making a good impact on our young men
Posted Image

WDE!

The Architect

The Architect

drawin' pitchers n' such

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I like these kinds of measures for a team. I think it instills a sense of oneness amongst the players, while also mitigating socioeconomic/political/racial differences. I'd personally like to see all college teams in every sport have a dress code. And keeping your locker / space / room clean and organized is a way of showing respect for the things you have and the things given to you. It's all good stuff. It won't win them any ballgames necessarily, but it's good stuff. :thumpsup:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WarEagle7791

WarEagle7791

Do What We Do

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah keep em in order.  It's good to have standards and stuff like that.  yep
Posted Image

AUviaDC101

AUviaDC101

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
Again, here are examples of the new dress code for Femal Auburn Students...

Posted Image
Unacceptable.  Grounds for expulsion...

Posted Image
60% acceptable.  Lose the snow boots. ASAP!!!  Or expect suspension.

Posted Image
Model Students...

Posted Image
Accordingly fit for 80% of each college male's deepest fantasies.  So, acceptable.

[reposted in BABES forum as well]

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image