Rejuvenated Chavis ready to tackle LSU challenge - Page 3 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Rejuvenated Chavis ready to tackle LSU challenge

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

GTTiger

GTTiger
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think there are alot of people that are a bit misguided about LSU's defense last year. The defense gave up a bunch of point due to poor coaching, not lack of talent. There were atleast 1 or 2 blown coverages in EVERY game that led to long TD's. When a defense gives up those kind of plays, it doesn't allow for the defense to do many things.

I would be very surprised if LSU's defense wasn't very impressive next year. Just too much talent to be an average defense.

BAMAPERRY

BAMAPERRY

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

GTTiger said:

I think there are alot of people that are a bit misguided about LSU's defense last year. The defense gave up a bunch of point due to poor coaching, not lack of talent. There were atleast 1 or 2 blown coverages in EVERY game that led to long TD's. When a defense gives up those kind of plays, it doesn't allow for the defense to do many things.

I would be very surprised if LSU's defense wasn't very impressive next year. Just too much talent to be an average defense.

You would have thought that LAST year too! :laugh:
Posted Image
Posted Image

GTTiger

GTTiger
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BAMAPERRY said:

You would have thought that LAST year too! :laugh:

Agreed, that's why I blame the coaching. I am assuming that Chavis is a solid DC. With a good defensive staff, there is just too much talent for the defense to be just average.

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

M2J said:

In most of those 14 years they had stability though.   They're going into a situation where the defense is either guys who shouldn't have been on the field last year and others guys that weren't even good enough to play a lot for a terrible one. There is going to be that meeting up with a brand new coaching staff and brand new system.   It kinda reminds me recently when Saban's staff came in 07 with a defense losing many key players from 06 which wasn't exactly an overly impressive D in itself, and we didn't rank highly defensively his first year (even though our 06 D was a good bit better than the 08 LSU D and Saban is a better coach than Chavis, and we probably still had more proven impact players come back for 07 as LSU just may have none). And it doesn't matter if you're one year removed from a good defense, because its about to be 2.  LSU is not about to be an elite D next year with that kind of turnover in personnel learning a brand new system...no matter the previous recruiting classes or the new coach.  And I would say that even if it was my team with the best defensive name out there coming in.  That's just not a positive situation to be in.  Whether Pelini is there, his replacement DCs (whoever they were), or Chavis is there last year when just looking at the lost talent and the unproven bunch of replacements for next season 08 would've just been the underachieving year...09 is going to be the rebuilding one

The problem with your position is that occurrences like last year's effort by Tennessee's defense are extremely rare. Usually when an offense struggles to the extent the Vol's  offense struggled in 2008, the defensive numbers suffer as well. Like Auburn, for example. OR MSU and UK.

We'll get a chance to see how well Alabama responds to the same situation in 2009. I expect the Tide to be ranked in the bottom third of the SEC next year in time of possession.

LSU's defense, on the other hand, will be helped by one of, if not the best offense in the conference. The Tigers will probably have the best offensive line in the SEC next year and will pound defenses with a steady diet of Charles Scott. I would not be at all surprised if LSU leads the conference in time of possession in 2009.

It's telling that although LSU brought in one of the top recruiting classes in the country, none of the freshman are penciled in as starters. LSU has recruited well for the last five years, and talent is not the issue.

With Chavis and his stellar assistants roaming the sidelines for LSU, the system wil now work for LSU, not against it. LSU's defense will improve by leaps and bounds simply because the Chinese Fire Drill of substitutions by last year's staff is over.

So to sum up, LSU will be improved simply by having less confusion, and will be helped by the Tiger offense playing keep-away.

:D

Edited by Crescent City Tiger, 13 March 2009 - 03:42 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Crescent City Tiger said:

The problem with your position is that occurrences like last year's effort by Tennessee's defense are extremely rare. Usually when an offense struggles to the extent the Vol's  offense struggled in 2008, the defensive numbers suffer as well. Like Auburn, for example. OR MSU and UK.

We'll get a chance to see how well Alabama responds to the same situation in 2009. I expect the Tide to be ranked in the bottom third of the SEC next year in time of possession.

LSU's defense, on the other hand, will be helped by one of, if not the best offense in the conference. The Tigers will probably have the best offensive line in the SEC next year and will pound defenses with a steady diet of Charles Scott. I would not be at all surprised if LSU leads the conference in time of possession in 2009.

It's telling that although LSU brought in one of the top recruiting classes in the country, none of the freshman are penciled in as starters. LSU has recruited well for the last five years, and talent is not the issue.

With Chavis and his stellar assistants roaming the sidelines for LSU, the system wil now work for LSU, not against it. LSU's defense will improve by leaps and bounds simply because the Chinese Fire Drill of substitutions by last year's staff is over.

So to sum up, LSU will be improved simply by having less confusion, and will be helped by the Tiger offense playing keep-away.

If saying Tennessee having a good defense last year is the only problem with my argument in your opinion, then my argument has no problems.   Tennessee was a good defense, and they're not the first team to overcome a terrible offense to have a good defense too, see the Cocks, see Auburn 07...guess what those teams have though, proven defensive stars.  LSU doesn't. And expecting "less confusion" with that amount of inexperience, new coaches, new system in year 1 is just crazy.  And a good offense may be able to help, should you actually have one, but I'd never bet money  on a unit being good with the scenario LSUs D is in, no matter the coach or what they did the last year.  Much like if we needed a new OC to go along with the turnover of talent for our offense, I wouldn't exactly predict good things and we have a good bit of stars returning for that unit.

Anybody actually expecting that unit to return to an elite D next year, and not just hoping or thinking its a possibility is in for a rude awakening.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

M2J said:

Anybody actually expecting that unit to return to an elite D next year, and not just hoping or thinking its a possibility is in for a rude awakening.

Even Gumps engage in wishful thinking. :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Ok, lets start some shiv. Lsu, you found a qb in your bowl game. One game. Against ga tech. Who beat idaho by 3. Yo D is suspect to bama fans. That makes it suspect to somebody at least. Now bama, do ya really think ya will go undefeated into atlanta again this year? There are targets stuck to every part of yo uniform. Everybody that played ya feels like they could have beat ya. They aint scared. Ya both come to Oxford this year. That's right you visit us. Oh yes, we will be a great host. Come early and you will have all the drink and eats to make an elephant smile and a tiger take off her stripes. Our O will be better. Our D will be at least as good and should be better cause pass D will be better. Y'all both are great visitors and I look forward to it. Yet, BRING IT, cause its our turn this year!
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

bbqit said:

Ok, lets start some shiv. Lsu, you found a qb in your bowl game. One game. Against ga tech. Who beat idaho by 3. Yo D is suspect to bama fans. That makes it suspect to somebody at least. Now bama, do ya really think ya will go undefeated into atlanta again this year? There are targets stuck to every part of yo uniform. Everybody that played ya feels like they could have beat ya. They aint scared. Ya both come to Oxford this year. That's right you visit us. Oh yes, we will be a great host. Come early and you will have all the drink and eats to make an elephant smile and a tiger take off her stripes. Our O will be better. Our D will be at least as good and should be better cause pass D will be better. Y'all both are great visitors and I look forward to it. Yet, BRING IT, cause its our turn this year!

I very much believe that Ole Miss will field a great team this year, and I feel like you will spank Bama's butt good, as well as punishing Arkansas, Auburn, and Miss State.  But the Tiger team coming to Oxford is not going to be like the one you pounded in 2008; not even close.  The offense is going to be wild, with big, fast, punishing runners along with a fleet footed QB who will remind you a lot of your own Jevan Snead, except he may be even faster, smarter, and have a better arm. And, heaven help you if Russell Shepard gets on the field, too.  Chavis will mold our defensive talent into an impregnable unit that will give the Reb offense hell.  It should be a real slobberknocker for about three quarters, then the relentless pounding from the superior Tiger depth will begin to kick in.  By the time we are through, there will be tears in the eyes of those Oxfordites still left in the stands.  The cries of "Hottie Toddy" and "Go to hell, LSU" will turn into murmurs of, "Crap, they are good... real, real good."  It's definitely going to be fun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

GeauxTo said:

Even Gumps engage in wishful thinking. :p

But corndogs take it to another level :rolleyes:

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

M2J said:

If saying Tennessee having a good defense last year is the only problem with my argument in your opinion, then my argument has no problems.   Tennessee was a good defense, and they're not the first team to overcome a terrible offense to have a good defense too, see the Cocks, see Auburn 07...guess what those teams have though, proven defensive stars.  LSU doesn't. And expecting "less confusion" with that amount of inexperience, new coaches, new system in year 1 is just crazy.  And a good offense may be able to help, should you actually have one, but I'd never bet money  on a unit being good with the scenario LSUs D is in, no matter the coach or what they did the last year.  Much like if we needed a new OC to go along with the turnover of talent for our offense, I wouldn't exactly predict good things and we have a good bit of stars returning for that unit.

Ok let's sum up your argument: you're saying a proven DC is going to fail with more talent and better assistants than he's ever had. With the luxury of having perhaps the top offense in the SEC in 2009.

The only one in for a rude awakening is you partner.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

GeauxTo said:

Chavis will mold our defensive talent into an impregnable unit that will give the Reb offense hell.  It should be a real slobberknocker for about three quarters, then the relentless pounding from the superior Tiger depth will begin to kick in.  By the time we are through, there will be tears in the eyes of those Oxfordites still left in the stands.  The cries of "Hottie Toddy" and "Go to hell, LSU" will turn into murmurs of, "Crap, they are good... real, real good."  It's definitely going to be fun.

But didn't the oracles tell you that you can't win this fight or will your 300 be enough?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

bbqit said:

But didn't the oracles tell you that you can't win this fight or will your 300 be enough?

Are you saying this guy:

Posted Image

Is like this guy:

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

bbqit said:

We're coming to Oxford to fondle your women, eat your food, drink your beverages, and raise hell inside the stadium as our Tigers pound you silly.  :laugh:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Crescent City Tiger said:

Ok let's sum up your argument: you're saying a proven DC is going to fail with more talent and better assistants than he's ever had. With the luxury of having perhaps the top offense in the SEC in 2009.

The only one in for a rude awakening is you partner.

We're not talking about the general future sir.  We're talking about next year, and there's no way in hell that LSU next year has more talent, at least not more ready talent than Tennessee had last year.  Again, extremely inexperienced team with nobody of note returning.  There's nobody that's going to be Eric Berry in that secondary or Robert Ayers on that line next season.

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

M2J said:

We're not talking about the general future sir.  We're talking about next year, and there's no way in hell that LSU next year has more talent, at least not more ready talent than Tennessee had last year.  Again, extremely inexperienced team with nobody of note returning.  There's nobody that's going to be Eric Berry in that secondary or Robert Ayers on that line next season.

I think this is your cue to go look up the last five year's worth of recruiting rankings. Tell me if you see even a single year where UT out-recruited LSU.

Just one.

..."extremely inexperienced team with nobody of note returning"? But I thought we were talking about LSU's defense, not Alabama's offense.

You should just stop now, before you need a spade to dig yourself out!Posted Image

We'll be just fine next year, on both sides of the ball. Better than fine, in fact. I bet I know who wishes they could say that!

Edited by Crescent City Tiger, 13 March 2009 - 11:56 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger