Rejuvenated Chavis ready to tackle LSU challenge - Page 2 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Rejuvenated Chavis ready to tackle LSU challenge

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

M2J said:

Next year some Tiggers are gonna be scratching their heads regarding Chavis as that D will still be trash.   It won't be his fault, that talent just won't be ready and they won't be in sync next year.  2010, I may change my tune.    But while Chavis is a DC most teams should be proud to have, its not like he's immune to coaching terrible defenses,  there are numerous years when the Vols D was pathetic and some when it was just average (see as recent as 2007 for the pathetic example).  And its not like Tennessee didn't recruit talent over his near 2 decades of coaching the D.  Its just not wishful thinking regarding next year either, there's just way too much turnover on that defenses personnel and at key positions, and considering how bad they were last year there really is little to feel confident about regarding the 09 LSU D unit.

And if they do return to form in 09, well it will just be an amazing job by that staff.  Its not impossible, but not likely.

Actually, it's far more likely than not, given the fact that Chavis produced a top three in the SEC defense nine times in his fourteen years as DC  at UT.

Add that to the fact that LSU is ONE year removed from having the top defense in the SEC, has recruited very well over the last five years, and Miles and Chavis now have the best defensive staff they've ever had in their careers.

The LSU defense finished ninth in the conference in scoring defense last year. UT finished 3rd, and was tied for tops overall.

I expect to see LSU to be in the top three in defense in both categories, which will be made easier because the offense will be at or near the top of the conference.

:D

Edited by Crescent City Tiger, 12 March 2009 - 09:55 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

bbqit said:

I can't wait! Bring some tiger a$$ to the field!! White shirts yellow britches gth you somebitches!!!:D:D:D

It is so good to know that Ole Miss only fields a decent team about once every 10 years or so, otherwise we would be inundated with this type of goofiness ad infinitum.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

GeauxTo said:

It is so good to know that Ole Miss only fields a decent team about once every 10 years or so, otherwise we would be inundated with this type of goofiness ad infinitum.

Like it or not GT, Ole Miss is a major player in the SEC now. Especially this year, when they could win the whole darn conference!

And bbqit is good people in my book.Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

BAMAPERRY

BAMAPERRY

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
Bama will light up Chavis, again.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BAMAPERRY said:

Bama will light up Chavis, again.

Bama won't be lighting up anybody this year. Period. Especially not The Chief! Once again your crimson colored coke-bottle lenses fail you.

Edited by Crescent City Tiger, 12 March 2009 - 08:12 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Crescent City Tiger said:

I beg to differ. Chavis had a much bigger challenge last season at UT. Leading his defense to being tied for top overall unit in 2008 was an eye-opener. Especially when the Vol's offense was dead-last in time of possession in the conference.
This is one of those rare occasions when I must agree with the inbred heauxmer.
Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

jthomas666 said:

This is one of those rare occasions when I must agree with the inbred heauxmer.

Nice to see that not all of the Bama fan base is without teeth or wits.

I keed! I keed!

Thanks man! I admire your sportsmanship.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

fernandomike

fernandomike
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

M2J said:

Next year some Tiggers are gonna be scratching their heads regarding Chavis as that D will still be trash.   It won't be his fault, that talent just won't be ready and they won't be in sync next year.  2010, I may change my tune.    But while Chavis is a DC most teams should be proud to have, its not like he's immune to coaching terrible defenses,  there are numerous years when the Vols D was pathetic and some when it was just average (see as recent as 2007 for the pathetic example).  And its not like Tennessee didn't recruit talent over his near 2 decades of coaching the D.  Its just not wishful thinking regarding next year either, there's just way too much turnover on that defenses personnel and at key positions, and considering how bad they were last year there really is little to feel confident about regarding the 09 LSU D unit.

And if they do return to form in 09, well it will just be an amazing job by that staff.  Its not impossible, but not likely.

Good post, but I gotta disagree.  UT recruited fairly well on defense, but nowhere near the level that LSU has and will continue to.  As you know, we have to recruit out of state to survive, well, the two toughest spots to recruit are defensive tackle and quarterback.  In our league, you need fast, physical specimens manning the middle of your defense and we just haven't been able to consistently come up with those type guys since Henderson and Haynesworth.  Justin Harrell ended up as a first-rounder, but he missed practically his entire senior season with an injury.  These guys are much more plentiful in Louisiana than they're in Tennessee.  Chavis is going to have much better horses.  He will have more talent on dee his first season at LSU than he did last year at UT.  
Bama will not light LSU up.  I think the two of you are lining up for a tussle over the next few years with implications as big as any rivalry in the game.  They'll be very good and a serious hurdle to your national title aspirations.

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

fernandomike said:

As you know, we have to recruit out of state to survive...

You now have the stellar staff to go along with your massive recruiting budget. People either don't know, or tend to forget, that UT routinely has the biggest recruiting budget of any school in the country, year in and year out.

UT will be bringing in monster recruiting classes as soon as next year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

fernandomike said:

As you know, we have to recruit out of state to survive,

Whatever you may think about Orgeron, the fact is that he is one helluva recruiter.  He has a knack for bringing in the kids that you may least expect he'll get.  The Vols recruiting efforts, I think, are already surprising, and they will get better as time goes on.  I look for the Vols to be back in the mix for the top spot in the SEC East along with Florida and Georgia, maybe even this year.  Everyone likes to laugh at Kiffin's faux pas, but he and Orgeron and the others he has assembled in Knoxville may render the surprise team of the year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Crescent City Tiger said:

Actually, it's far more likely than not, given the fact that Chavis produced a top three in the SEC defense nine times in his fourteen years as DC  at UT.

Add that to the fact that LSU is ONE year removed from having the top defense in the SEC, has recruited very well over the last five years, and Miles and Chavis now have the best defensive staff they've ever had in their careers.

The LSU defense finished ninth in the conference in scoring defense last year. UT finished 3rd, and was tied for tops overall.

I expect to see LSU to be in the top three in defense in both categories, which will be made easier because the offense will be at or near the top of the conference.

In most of those 14 years they had stability though.   They're going into a situation where the defense is either guys who shouldn't have been on the field last year and others guys that weren't even good enough to play a lot for a terrible one. There is going to be that meeting up with a brand new coaching staff and brand new system.   It kinda reminds me recently when Saban's staff came in 07 with a defense losing many key players from 06 which wasn't exactly an overly impressive D in itself, and we didn't rank highly defensively his first year (even though our 06 D was a good bit better than the 08 LSU D and Saban is a better coach than Chavis, and we probably still had more proven impact players come back for 07 as LSU just may have none). And it doesn't matter if you're one year removed from a good defense, because its about to be 2.  LSU is not about to be an elite D next year with that kind of turnover in personnel learning a brand new system...no matter the previous recruiting classes or the new coach.  And I would say that even if it was my team with the best defensive name out there coming in.  That's just not a positive situation to be in.  Whether Pelini is there, his replacement DCs (whoever they were), or Chavis is there last year when just looking at the lost talent and the unproven bunch of replacements for next season 08 would've just been the underachieving year...09 is going to be the rebuilding one

Edited by M2J, 13 March 2009 - 12:24 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

fullstrut12

fullstrut12

Fullstrut12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BAMAPERRY said:

It still starts at the top, and LSU still has Miles.

If it all starts at the top then Miles gets the credit for a Nat'l Championship and not "Saben's recruits"

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

GeauxTo said:

You know you love it! No other fan base can have more fun with ya than us!

GeauxTo said:

Whatever you may think about Orgeron, the fact is that he is one helluva recruiter.  He has a knack for bringing in the kids that you may least expect he'll get.  The Vols recruiting efforts, I think, are already surprising, and they will get better as time goes on.  I look for the Vols to be back in the mix for the top spot in the SEC East along with Florida and Georgia, maybe even this year.  Everyone likes to laugh at Kiffin's faux pas, but he and Orgeron and the others he has assembled in Knoxville may render the surprise team of the year.

What you posted may be true but it could also be that Tenn got those recruits cause they are Tenn. Lets face it, nobody ever rode a NC longer than fulmer. Also these kids may be on to coach o now. He didn't get some he wanted and some of them went on to say it was how he approached them. Thats not a good rep to get in this business.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Adam_346

Adam_346

say yeaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

bbqit said:

I can't wait! Bring some tiger a$$ to the field!! White shirts yellow britches gth you somebitches!!!:D:D:D
that's some funny sheet! :D

TPM

TPM

COONASS MAFIA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

fullstrut12 said:

If it all starts at the top then Miles gets the credit for a Nat'l Championship and not "Saben's recruits"

You'll have to learn grasshoppa. Some Bama posters talk out both sides of their mouth.:laugh: