Rejuvenated Chavis ready to tackle LSU challenge - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Rejuvenated Chavis ready to tackle LSU challenge

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Rejuvenated Chavis ready to tackle LSU challenge Posted Image
March 12, 2009 12:09 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
For the first time since 1988, John Chavis isn't getting ready for spring practice at Tennessee.
It's a bit surreal for the veteran defensive coordinator. He walked on and played at Tennessee in the late 1970s, got his coaching start there as a graduate assistant and later worked his way up to the associate head coach/defensive coordinator position.
He had countless chances to leave for NFL assistant jobs and other college coordinator jobs, but could never bring himself to do so.
It was home, and in his world, you don't just walk out on family because somebody else is offering you a sweeter deal.
"Obviously, nothing lasts forever," Chavis said.
He was part of the purge last year in Knoxville that saw Phillip Fulmer and his entire staff ousted. Chavis took it as hard as anyone. An emotional, fiery (and admittedly stubborn) guy who's as loyal as the day is long, Chavis struggled mightily with how everything went down.
He still does, but he's moved on.
Chavis has a new challenge these days: Restoring the LSU defense to prominence after last season's slide.
And he couldn't be more excited.
"I feel like a different man. I can't explain it," Chavis said. "It's almost like having a second honeymoon. I couldn't ask for anything more than to be coaching at a program like LSU and working for a man like Les (Miles). It's a great staff and a very competitive group of guys. It's going to be a lot of fun going through spring practice."
Chavis' credentials are unquestioned. The Vols finished among the top 3 in the SEC in total defense nine times during his 14 years as defensive coordinator. They were tied for third nationally with Alabama last season in total defense.
If you can't run, you can't play in Chavis' defense. He believes in speed and more speed and will bring guys from all over the place after the quarterback.
The staple of his defense, though, has been stopping the run.
"Our style's going to be very similar," said Chavis, named the AFCA Division I-A assistant coach of the year in 2006. "There will be some things that we tweak, but it's a system that was very good to us (at Tennessee). It's a system that's been proven in the best league in college football, and it's a system that works well."
There's no shortage of defensive pride at LSU, but it's obvious that pride was bruised last season.
The Tigers allowed 30 or more points five times and dropped to ninth in the SEC in total defense. For whatever reason, they lost their edge defensively.
Now it's on Chavis to help them get it back.
He'll reserve judgment on specific players until seeing them in pads. But he likes the depth and athleticism at all the positions, which means there should be fierce competition in the spring.
"There's not a position I look at and don't see competition, and competition is truly what brings out the best in you," Chavis said. "They've done a great job recruiting here. We have the talent, but we have a lot of work to do to put it all together."
Chavis said there's also nothing to be gained from looking back -- for the LSU defense or for him.
"Our focus is what's in front of us and truly doing it the LSU way," he said.
And if Chavis looks rejuvenated when he hits the Charles McClendon practice fields later Thursday afternoon, that's because he is.
"I even feel healthier. My wife tells me I look 10 years younger ... but she's supposed to say that," Chavis cracked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

bulldawg

bulldawg

HUNKER DOWN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm more worried about playing LSU than I am UF this year. After the beatings ya'll took last year I expect a hungry team with alot to prove this year. And then your crazy coach with his screw it go for it on 4th and 20 mentality won't makes things any easier.
Posted Image
"I'd rather lose as a Dawg than win as any other team....once a Dawg, always a Dawg---how sweet it is!" :

azamugg

azamugg

Banned

• Banned
  • Cash:
and what a tremendous challenge Chavis faces LOL....his challenge will be greater than Jerry Lewis's
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

azamugg said:

and what a tremendous challenge Chavis faces LOL....his challenge will be greater than Jerry Lewis's

I beg to differ. Chavis had a much bigger challenge last season at UT. Leading his defense to being tied for top overall unit in 2008 was an eye-opener. Especially when the Vol's offense was dead-last in time of possession in the conference.

This year, with more talent on hand, better defensive assistants, and a loaded offense, Chavis's cup runneth over.

:D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

bulldawg said:

I'm more worried about playing LSU than I am UF this year.

I can't wait! Bring some tiger a$$ to the field!! White shirts yellow britches gth you somebitches!!!:D:D:D
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

bbqit said:

I can't wait! Bring some tiger a$$ to the field!! White shirts yellow britches gth you somebitches!!!:D:D:D

At least the Tigers don't wear red pants!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

fernandomike

fernandomike
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Crescent City Tiger said:

I beg to differ. Chavis had a much bigger challenge last season at UT. Leading his defense to being tied for top overall unit in 2008 was an eye-opener. Especially when the Vol's offense was dead-last in time of possession in the conference.

This year, with more talent on hand, better defensive assistants, and a loaded offense, Chavis's cup runneth over.

Chavis worked miracles last season in Knoxville.  I had only one criticism.  Our defense backed off in the second half against UCLA, but I suspect that it was more about fatigue than it was about coaching.  

The rest of the season, we were pretty strong.  As you allude to, we ran three plays and punted all season long.  We totally lacked depth at defensive tackle which everyone here knows is a critical position.  Couple those two things together, no offense and no defensive line depth and you have sure disaster on your hands.  We played pretty well though.

Your boys are going to love Chavis.  They are going to play hard for him and with your superior recruiting base and overall defensive talent, he is going to do wonders for you.  He is gonna bring the heat and LSU is going to stay in the running for league and national championships.

Edited by fernandomike, 12 March 2009 - 04:27 PM.

BAMAPERRY

BAMAPERRY

Banned

• Banned
  • Cash:
It still starts at the top, and LSU still has Miles.
Posted Image
Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

At least the Tigers don't wear red pants!

Tigers wear stripes
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

fernandomike said:

Chavis worked miracles last season in Knoxville.  I had only one criticism.  Our defense backed off in the second half against UCLA, and I suspect that it was more about fatigue than it was about coaching.  
The rest of the season, we were pretty strong.  As you allude to, we ran three plays and punted all season long.  We totally lacked depth at defensive tackle which everyone here knows is a critical position.  Couple those two things together, no offense and no defensive line depth and you have sure disaster on your hands.  We played pretty well though.

Your boys are going to love Chavis.  They are going to play hard for him and with your superior recruiting base and overall defensive talent, he is going to do wonders for you.  He is gonna bring the heat and LSU is going to stay in the running for league and national championships.

Thanks for all your kind words! I'm loving that LSU now has The Chief on our sidelines!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BAMAPERRY said:

It still starts at the top, and LSU still has Miles.

Yes, and Alabama has Saban...for now.

You want to criticize coaches? I wouldn't throw stones if I were you. How long has Saban known about the test book scandal?

Last year, faced with a gimmick offense in his bowl game, Miles went out and hired Larry Lacewell as a consultant on how to stop a triple-option offense. The result was the largest margin of victory in any bowl game.

Last year, faced with a gimmick offense in his bowl game, Saban arrogantly did nothing special in his preparations. The result? The biggest upset of any bowl game.

At this point in their respective careers, it would be a major upset if Miles lost a bowl game, and Saban won one.

:p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • Cash:

Yes, and Alabama has Saban...for now.

You want to criticize coaches? I wouldn't throw stones if I were you. How long has Saban known about the test book scandal?

Last year, faced with a gimmick offense in his bowl game, Miles went out and hired Larry Lacewell as a consultant on how to stop a triple-option offense. The result was the largest margin of victory in any bowl game.

Last year, faced with a gimmick offense in his bowl game, Saban arrogantly did nothing special in his preparations. The result? The biggest upset of any bowl game.

At this point in their respective careers, it would be a major upset if Miles lost a bowl game, and Saban won one.

:p

What is a "Test" book. Is that those blue books?

Yes, Miles did great in the Peach Bowl. Somehow losing to an inferior Saban must still leave you scratching your head.

At this point in their respective careers it would be a major upset if Miles went to a bowl game of importance and Saban didn't.

"That’s right, I am the mod at SECTalk. So what? If I don’t like a Anti-UF post, i move it or delete it. Not much anyone can say or do about it, is there?"--GatorHunter via Loserwithsocks.com

Crescent City Tiger

Crescent City Tiger

Hail to the Chief!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BamaFanNKy said:

What is a "Test" book. Is that those blue books?

Yes, Miles did great in the Peach Bowl. Somehow losing to an inferior Saban must still leave you scratching your head.

At this point in their respective careers it would be a major upset if Miles went to a bowl game of importance and Saban didn't.

It would also be a major upset if Saban stuck around if Bama gets hammered by the NCAA. People tend to lose sight of the fact that Saban has no buyout clause in his contract.

Now, back to talking about Chavis. Bamahomers just bring out the worst in me.

:offtopic:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crescent City Tiger

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Next year some Tiggers are gonna be scratching their heads regarding Chavis as that D will still be trash.   It won't be his fault, that talent just won't be ready and they won't be in sync next year.  2010, I may change my tune.    But while Chavis is a DC most teams should be proud to have, its not like he's immune to coaching terrible defenses,  there are numerous years when the Vols D was pathetic and some when it was just average (see as recent as 2007 for the pathetic example).  And its not like Tennessee didn't recruit talent over his near 2 decades of coaching the D.  Its just not wishful thinking regarding next year either, there's just way too much turnover on that defenses personnel and at key positions, and considering how bad they were last year there really is little to feel confident about regarding the 09 LSU D unit.

And if they do return to form in 09, well it will just be an amazing job by that staff.  Its not impossible, but not likely.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • Cash:

It would also be a major upset if Saban stuck around if Bama gets hammered by the NCAA. People tend to lose sight of the fact that Saban has no buyout clause in his contract.

Now, back to talking about Chavis. Bamahomers just bring out the worst in me.

:offtopic:

Yes, we know. He's leaving us. Until then:
YouTube - 2008 Alabama vs. LSU Overtime: "How The West Was Won"

Scoreboard!

"That’s right, I am the mod at SECTalk. So what? If I don’t like a Anti-UF post, i move it or delete it. Not much anyone can say or do about it, is there?"--GatorHunter via Loserwithsocks.com