Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Biggest upset in professional baseball history?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Netherlands 3, DR 2.
Netherlands 2, DR 1.  

What upsets have been bigger (i.e. more unlikely)?

Run lines above -1.5 in MLB games are almost unheard of.  And they are usually -150 or so on the payout when they happen.

The first Netherlands/DR game was -7.5 (-110). The second was -4.5 (-110).

The 2009 combined salary of the Dominican team is $83.4M.  The Netherlands?  $400,000.  

A truly amazing upset.

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
ESPN highlights here for those who missed the game.

Man, that was one of the coolest baseball games I've ever watched.

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Here are the 11th inning highlights with the broadcast audio:

-- DR takes the lead
-- Netherlands rallies

Before that 11th inning, the Netherlands had only 3 hits (all singles), but 14 strikeouts, in the first 10 innings.  They had only 6 hits in 19 innings against the DR in the two games up to that point.

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
Yes in terms of non-professional exhibition games created by Bud Selig that no one cares about, it is the biggest upset. It's not like most of these guys are even in playing shape yet.

"That’s right, I am the mod at SECTalk. So what? If I don’t like a Anti-UF post, i move it or delete it. Not much anyone can say or do about it, is there?"--GatorHunter via Loserwithsocks.com

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BamaFanNKy said:

Yes in terms of non-professional exhibition games created by Bud Selig that no one cares about, it is the biggest upset. It's not like most of these guys are even in playing shape yet.

The run lines were still -7.5 and -4.5.  You'll never see anything even close to that in MLB games.  It should not even matter what time of year it is.  That is a team of MLB All-Stars that just lost, twice, to a team that probably couldn't win an American rookie league.

And on the cynicism about the WBC, that's too bad.  It's very good stuff.  Check the highlights I posted above and you'll see two teams that really, really wanted to win that game.  

http://www.sectalk.com/boards/

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

Texas_Dawg said:

The run lines were still -7.5 and -4.5.  You'll never see anything even close to that in MLB games.  It should not even matter what time of year it is.  That is a team of MLB All-Stars that just lost, twice, to a team that probably couldn't win an American rookie league.

And on the cynicism about the WBC, that's too bad.  It's very good stuff.  Check the highlights I posted above and you'll see two teams that really, really wanted to win that game.  

Posted Image
Cynicism.... it's a boring game, with a make believe world cup. Those crowds are nuts. Dozens of people are going crazy watching it.

It was so big no paper in the Netherlands is running it as a top sports story http://www.depers.nl/sport/

"That’s right, I am the mod at SECTalk. So what? If I don’t like a Anti-UF post, i move it or delete it. Not much anyone can say or do about it, is there?"--GatorHunter via Loserwithsocks.com

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Upsets like this usually require some really good luck.

The DR hitters were just teeing off as this game went on, trying to put an end to the mess.  They just kept hitting everything right at the outfielders though (with a brisk wind clearly knocking fly balls down).

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BamaFanNKy said:

Cynicism...

Yeah, cynicism ("Bud Selig" blah blah blah).

And additionally you're not a baseball fan.  Whatever.

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

Texas_Dawg said:

Yeah, cynicism ("Bud Selig" blah blah blah).

And additionally you're not a baseball fan.  Whatever.

I was when baseball was interesting. Now it's fake and watered down. Baseball is dead. I'm glad Bud Selig made you at least happy.

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
Also evident it was so popular a cynic is the only one to respond after 3 different posts by you. I get more reaction in a soccer thread.

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
:rolleyes:

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

It's the MLB forum, fwiw.  No one posts here.

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

Texas_Dawg said:

It's the MLB forum, fwiw.  No one posts here.

That's the point. MLB is dead. I actually dig college and don't mind minors.

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BamaFanNKy said:

It was so big no paper in the Netherlands is running it as a top sports story DePers - woensdag 11 maart 2009

They're simply listed in order of posting not popularity.  Here's the baseball story on the front page...

Honkballers verrassen opnieuw - woensdag 11 maart 2009 - DePers.nl
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

BamaFanNKy

BamaFanNKy

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

OmahaBound said:

They're simply listed in order of posting not popularity.  Here's the baseball story on the front page...

Honkballers verrassen opnieuw - woensdag 11 maart 2009 - DePers.nl

Ah. It was HUGE for 35 minutes.