Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Bucs release Dunn, Brooks, and Hilliard

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

gatoraus

gatoraus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Linebacker Derrick Brooks, one of the greatest players in Tampa Bay Buccaneers history, was released Wednesday along with four other veterans.
2008: Best of Derrick Brooks

NFL.com Video

Highlights of the best moments from Derrick Brooks in 2008.

Brooks is an 11-time Pro Bowler and a potential Hall of Famer. Wide receivers Joey Galloway and Ike Hilliard, halfback Warrick Dunn and linebacker Cato June were also released.

"Our family and the entire Tampa Bay community owe Derrick an indescribable measure of gratitude for all that he has meant over the last 14 years," Bucs co-chairman Bryan Glazer said in a statement. "His play on the field and leadership in the locker room helped resurrect our franchise and we look forward to celebrating his certain enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame."

With Raheem Morris taking over for Jon Gruden, the Bucs are apparently starting a youth movement and a major change in philosophies. They are also getting away from the Cover 2 defensive scheme that had been employed by former Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Jim Bates has taken over the defense and is changing the style. In the Cover 2, Brooks was considered the perfect weakside linebacker. He was quick enough to cover the field and make most of the tackles.

He was a first-round pick of the Bucs in 1995 and never missed a game. He had 25 interceptions during his 14-year career in Tampa Bay.

--------------

I understand we are trying make this a younger team, but it is kind of a slap in the face to release a guy like Derrick Brooks or Warrick Dunn. It looks like we are starting over from scratch.

Edited by gatoraus, 25 February 2009 - 02:39 PM.
typo

Posted Image

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Releasing Dunn and Brooks is an awful move, back to the uncompetetive Bucs.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yayyyyyy, I smell a Falcons division title.

carwwest

carwwest

Cowbell Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
interesting moves to say the least....anybody think they'll end up anywhere??...they are kind of old...

Posted Image

GTHOM

JerryBeeds

JerryBeeds
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Brooks and Dunn will always have their music...
SEC Talk SEC Pickem' 2006/07 Co-Champion

Posted Image

WayzUp

WayzUp

Cynical Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Managing the salary cap makes moves like these necessary unfortunately.  Consider yourself fortunate to have had Brooks as long as you have.  My Steelers usually have to allow guys like him to walk halfway through their prime because they get outbid & choose to let 'em go and replace 'em through the draft.  I'm sure TB will address LB early in the draft and target a guy that fits whatever defensive style they're switching to.  

Hard to believe they're dumping the Cover 2 - that news was more surprising to me than their letting these aging veterans go.

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?