Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

McCorvey Not Joining Football Staff as Reported

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Schedule  |   Roster   |   News   |   Archives   No Coaching Additions Until January

McCorvey Not Joining Football Staff As Reported

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

Head coach Steve Spurrier

Football Home

HEADLINES  
No Coaching Additions Until January
Coaching Staff Changes Announced

Garcia Named Starter for Bowl Game

RELATED LINKS  
• Follow all of the college football action at CollegeSports.com

• Email this to a friend

Dec. 3, 2008

University of South Carolina head football coach Steve Spurrier announced today that no assistant coaches would be hired prior to the Gamecocks' bowl game.

"I acted too hastily in confirming that Coach (Woody) McCorvey would be joining our staff," said Coach Spurrier. "After thoroughly reviewing the entire situation and all the issues involved, we felt it was best to go to the bowl game with our current staff and add the two new coaches in January."

The Gamecocks (7-5, 4-4 SEC) are short two assistant coaches after offensive line coach John Hunt was relieved of his duties and quarterbacks coach/recruiting coordinator David Reaves accepted a job on the staff at Tennessee with his brother-in-law Lane Kiffin on Sunday

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sounds like a little buyer's remorse, but at the same time he still appears to be a strong candidate to be hired after the bowl.  On the radio they just reported Clemson is interested in him as well, so I guess we'll see if he's even still available next month.
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

msgadawg

msgadawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Lord Do They Know This Man!  Take Him, Take Him, Take Him!!!!

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Maybe Spurrier is wantiing a younger guy.

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The report now is that McCorvey wanted a 2+ yr deal so he could have a little stability.  We weren't willing to do that so he's no longer a candidate, but it sounds like Clemson still wants him so he'll be gainfully employed either way.   Tony Morrell from our rivals site says Spurrier now will be looking for a young guy willing to take a 1 yr deal.
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

JerryBeeds

JerryBeeds
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I had heard all along that it would be a younger guy. Aubrey Hill's name keeps coming up. I was very surprised at the McCorvey hire.
SEC Talk SEC Pickem' 2006/07 Co-Champion

Posted Image

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I am pullling for Duece Staley as a running back coach, I think that would be a great hire. He has been a successful college back, a successful pro back, he knows the position in and out and above all he loves gamecock football and he cannot stand a person that does not give 100% all the time.

JerryBeeds

JerryBeeds
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Duce should coach RB's and Taneyhill should coach QB's. We need some Gamecock blood in this program.
SEC Talk SEC Pickem' 2006/07 Co-Champion

Posted Image

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

JerryBeeds said:

I had heard all along that it would be a younger guy. Aubrey Hill's name keeps coming up. I was very surprised at the McCorvey hire.

Now you are talking, lets bring some garnet blood into this program. Maybe they can teach them the importance of beating Clemson. I wonder how many of you read the Spurs and Feathers last week in the article that was spotlighting former Clemson Carolina games and Benny Galloway was interviewed. Here is a portion of the article. " I was from Easley (just down the road from Clemson) and the rivaly was imbedded in me. In the 1968 game I had two broken ribs and the trainer Jim Price put a big plasitic pad on my side to protect my ribs. I was trying to hold the football before going out on the field and it was stilcking way out. I told him there was no way I could play a football game and not fumble the football with this pad. It was a slick as glass being plastic and inside a nylon football jersey. He told me I had to wear it. I had no choice.
I had a broken hand, a torn cartilage in a knee and a swollen ankle. I had a size 10 shoe on one foot and a size eight on the other. But there was no way they were going to keep me out of the lineup. If you played football, you played then.  Before you went out you got novicained up.
"I fumbled the first time I carried the football. Clemson recovered and we held and got three points off of that. That is where their three points came from. I took the pad off and didn't fumble anymore."
Some where over the years players like Benny Galloway that knew the importance of this rivalry, who would sacrifice there body to help their team has gone. So maybe we need some gamecock blood back in our program.