Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Per GCC Preliminary Reports Are....

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

ConwayGamecock

ConwayGamecock

Your Ad Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

That MSU's former OC Woody McCorvey will be hired by Spurrier as our new WR coach. That's per GCC's Scott Hood. I know he's been crucified by MSU fans when he was their OC - and I can't say I fault them for that - but how would he work as a position coach for us? He obviously would have very little if any say in how our offense is run, thank goodness. Has he held that position before, and how did he do???

The Joker

The Joker

Let's put a smile on that face.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Oh God.......
Blu-ray Disc Movie Collection: 927
Newest Purchase: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Gov. Gary Johnson for President in 2016

"Honor the vision of your founders, and respect the most sublime Constitution devised by´╗┐ human intelligence." - Daniel Hannan - British Member Of Parliament.

JerryBeeds

JerryBeeds
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Tony Morrell said on the radio a few hours ago that this spot wouldn't be filled quickly and that he was under the impression that it would go to a young guy. Said Aubrey Hill was a front runner. He also said that its possible that the O-line position is filled before the bowl game.
SEC Talk SEC Pickem' 2006/07 Co-Champion

Posted Image

Williams-Brice

Williams-Brice

I'm just sayin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Wow.  It's official.  McCorvey is the guy.  Can't say I know much about him other than he was a terrible coordinator.  He was a WR coach here before, but I really don't know much other than that.  I'll see what I can dig up.

The fact that it didn't take long at all gives me reason to believe that Spurrier may have been planning on letting Reaves go even if Kiffin didn't come after him.
Posted Image

JerryBeeds

JerryBeeds
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Well I really wanted someone younger. We've got a bunch of fifty somethings running the program now.
SEC Talk SEC Pickem' 2006/07 Co-Champion

Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
you didn't want this guy
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

ConwayGamecock

ConwayGamecock

Your Ad Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
No assistant coach hired by Sylvester Croom has a longer personal relationship with the Bulldog head man than Woody McCorvey, who Croom hired as his assistant head coach on his initial Mississippi State staff. McCorvey runs Croom’s West Coast offense and coaches the team’s quarterbacks.

In his first two seasons at the helm of the Bulldog offense, McCorvey helped Jerious Norwood become just the second running back in MSU history to surpass the 1,000-yard rushing plateau in consecutive seasons. Within McCorvey’s offense, Norwood became the school’s all-time leading rusher. Following the mid-point of his third season directing the attack, McCorvey’s offense began to flourish on the ground and through the air. State averaged 24.2 points per game over the season’s final six weeks. The team averaged 217.7 yards per game passing over that stretch, and 145.7 yards per game rushing in the final three, all conference games.

In 2005, Norwood gained 1,136 yards on the ground, the school’s third-highest single-season rushing mark. On the way to that feat, he gained 257 yards rushing against Houston, a single-game MSU record. In Norwood’s first season under McCorvey, the running back became just the sixth Bulldog back to rush for more than 1,000 yards. In 2006, Anthony Dixon set school freshman rushing attempts, yards and touchdowns records.

This past season, MSU improved its scoring offense by 40 points over ’06, and its total offense average by nearly 20 yards per game.

McCorvey, 56, came to State from the University of Tennessee where he served the previous five seasons as the Volunteers’ running backs coach. With McCorvey heading the UT running game, the Volunteers posted a 46-14 overall record during that time frame. He helped guide Tennessee to the 2000 Fiesta, 2001 Cotton, 2002 Florida Citrus, 2002 and ‘03 Peach Bowls.

Under McCorvey’s leadership, Tennessee maintained the school’s reputation of having a hard-nosed rushing attack. The Volunteers led the Southeastern Conference in rushing in 1999, averaging 191.3 yards per game. McCorvey’s work helped tailback Travis Stephens pace the SEC in rushing in 2001 with 1,464 yards. He was named first-team, all-America that season and narrowly missed winning the Doak Walker Award as the country’s premier running back. One year prior, McCorvey helped tailback Travis Henry finish second in the league and 14th nationally in rushing with 1,314 yards. During that team-rushing, league-leading ‘99 season, current National Football League star Jamal Lewis was third among conference ground-gainers.
Prior to joining the staff at Tennessee, McCorvey worked one season at South Carolina, where he served as the Gamecocks’ receivers coach.

McCorvey took the South Carolina job following an eight-year stay at the University of Alabama from 1990-97. McCorvey served seven seasons as the Tide receivers coach, and the 1996 campaign as the team’s offensive coordinator.

During those first seven seasons under head coach Gene Stallings, Alabama posted a 70-16-1 overall record on the field. During that time, UA was invited to the 1991 Fiesta Bowl, the 1991 Blockbuster Bowl, the 1993 Sugar Bowl, the 1993 Gator Bowl, the 1995 Citrus Bowl, and the 1997 Outback Bowl. Alabama won the SEC Championship and the national title during an undefeated ‘92 campaign. With McCorvey at the controls of the offense in 1996, Alabama finished 10-3 overall, including a win over Michigan in the Outback Bowl.

Before his SEC tenure, McCorvey worked seven years at Clemson University (1983-89). With McCorvey coaching the tight ends from 1983-85 and the wide receivers from 1986-89, Clemson posted a 60-19-3 overall record. During that time frame, the Tigers were invited to the 1985 Independence Bowl, the 1986 and ‘89 Gator Bowls, as well as the 1988 and ‘89 Florida Citrus Bowls.

From 1979-82, he served as an assistant coach at Alabama A&M. He began his collegiate coaching career at North Carolina Central in 1978. McCorvey began his coaching career with a six-year stint at Tate High School in Pensacola, Fla.
A quarterback at Alabama State University from 1968-72, McCorvey earned his bachelor’s degree from ASU in 1972 and a master’s degree from the University of West Florida in 1977.

A native of Grove Hill, Ala., McCorvey is married to the former Ann Brown, and the couple has a son, Marlon.

Playing Career
- Was a quarterback at Alabama State from 1968-71

Coaching Career
- 1972-77: Tate [Gonzalez, FL] HS
- 1978: North Carolina Central
- 1979-82: Assistant Coach, Alabama A&M
- 1983-89: Tight Ends/Wide Receivers Coach, Clemson University
- 1990-97: Receivers Coach/Offensive Coordinator (1996), University of Alabama
- 1998: Receivers Coach, University of South Carolina

- 1999-03: Running Backs Coach, University of Tennessee
- 2004-present: Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Coord./Quarterbacks Coach, Mississippi State University

Notable
Coached true-freshman Wesley Carroll to freshman all-SEC honors last season ... Mentored Tennessee’s rushing attack that led the SEC in 1999 ... Tutored first-team, all-American Travis Stephens and current NFL star Jamal Lewis at UT ... Member of the Alabama staff that guided the Crimson Tide to the 1992 SEC and national crowns ... UA went to six bowls during his eight seasons in Tuscaloosa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did Bama or Clemson even pass the football in those days?? Lol, he does look like he could help us with our RB's......

Edited by ConwayGamecock, 02 December 2008 - 07:54 PM.

larryt4111

larryt4111
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Ever heard of the "Peter Principle"?
Maybe the guy was just promoted to the point of being way over his head and out of his element.
He just may have fire in his gut... I HOPE SO?
Think about it. Our recievers haven't been running good sharp routes, haven't been finding the open spots, nor comming back to the ball when the QB is in trouble [which is EVERY PASSING DOWN at USC]. I have felt for some time now that SOS jr hasn't been very effective as a recievers coach and have said so in older postings. A hire is just a hire, and could EASILY BECOME A FIRE IF HE CAN'T PRODUCE.
I admit that I'd like to see someone else get the job. i.e. BYU- TT or other proven HOT reciever coach.
Face it, SOS jr hasn't been getting the most out of the tallent on campus !

Edited by larryt4111, 02 December 2008 - 08:18 PM.

Baller

Baller
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Jesus Christ... Why cant we hire GOOD guys... I swear he makes some dumbass decisions...

timNem

timNem

I Need A Squeegee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
McCorvey was a decent RBs coach but pray that he never gets promoted beyond that
Posted Image

Cockfan720

Cockfan720
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

timNem said:

McCorvey was a decent RBs coach but pray that he never gets promoted beyond that

He won't.  As long as Spurrier's here, he will remain the offensive coord.

2010 NCAA Baseball Champions
2011 NCAA Baseball Champions
2010 SEC East Football Champions

ConwayGamecock

ConwayGamecock

Your Ad Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Well, let's just forget this whole thread, shall we???

TM at GCC is now reporting that the Deal for McCorvey to USC fell through, and he's now not coming......

:eek: