House Judiciary Committee finds Karl Rove in contempt - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

House Judiciary Committee finds Karl Rove in contempt

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

WayzUp

WayzUp

Cynical Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Image

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. congressional panel voted on Wednesday to find former presidential adviser Karl Rove in contempt for defying a subpoena to testify in its probe into suspected political meddling at the Justice Department.

On a party-line vote of 20-14, the Democratic-led House of Representatives Judiciary Committee approved a contempt citation against President George W. Bush's former deputy chief of staff and political adviser and sent it to the full House of Representatives for needed concurrence.

"It is regrettable that it has become necessary to pursue this course, but Mr. Rove has left us no option," Chairman John Conyers, a Michigan Democrat, said in noting that the committee has been trying for months to get Rove to appear under oath.

Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, the committee's top Republican, accused Democrats of "conducting witch hunts." Instead, he said, "We should consider bipartisan legislation to reduce the price of gas, reduce crime and secure the borders.

The committee probe is part of a Democratic effort to challenge what they see as Bush's unwarranted expansion of his presidential powers during his eight years in office.

The House earlier this year approved contempt citations against White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten and former White House Counsel Harriet Miers.

They were cited for refusing to comply with subpoenas demanding documents and testimony in a congressional probe into the firing in 2006 of nine of the 93 U.S. attorneys.

The committee wants to question Rove about those dismissals as well as the decision to prosecute former Gov. Donald E. Siegelman of Alabama, a Democrat.

The Bush administration contends that turning over records and providing testimony would violate the president's rights to private counsel from staff.  Continued...
Linkage to article

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?

JessJess6713

JessJess6713
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
SWEET!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wynnco.com

Wynnco.com
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The House Judiciary Committee is a joke and they should be in contempt!

JerryBeeds

JerryBeeds
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sorry libs but nothing is going to happen to him. Like you people wouldn't be calling it a witch hunt if a Republican comittee did this to a pinko. I can hear it now. "McCarthism"!
SEC Talk SEC Pickem' 2006/07 Co-Champion

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

JerryBeeds said:

Sorry libs but nothing is going to happen to him. Like you people wouldn't be calling it a witch hunt if a Republican comittee did this to a pinko. I can hear it now. "McCarthism"!

They DID do it to Dems... remember spending millions of dollars to investigate Bill for lying about getting a BJ? Talk about hypocrisy and a waste of money and time.
Posted Image

Tator

Tator

Optimistically Disappointed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Well, I guess being found in contempt is better than being found in a hotel with a hooker and some crack.....or is it?

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
i would readily admit that Lewinsky was just the tip of the iceberg as far as Clinton's indiscretions. would Righties admit the same concerning Rove? somehow i doubt it...
Posted Image

timNem

timNem

I Need A Squeegee

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

zartan said:

i would readily admit that Lewinsky was just the tip of the iceberg as far as Clinton's indiscretions. would Righties admit the same concerning Rove? somehow i doubt it...
Since I'm not on Rove's or the Republican's team I can admit it with ease.  I wouldn't doubt it. Im sure he was the guy who handled all the dirty deeds.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

timNem said:

Since I'm not on Rove's or the Republican's team I can admit it with ease.  I wouldn't doubt it. Im sure he was the guy who handled all the dirty deeds.

Did you get that impression from him, too? If I could be a fly on the wall during a discussion between Rove and Cheney...
Posted Image