Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Transfer Moody looks to cure Florida's RB deficiency

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

crawfish

crawfish
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Nice article by SI on Florida RB Moody who is expected to be a huge help in keeping the T-man healthy this season.  Here's the article.

Just what the doctor ordered

Posted Image
High Expectations are on RB Emmanuel Moody

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

crawfish said:

Nice article by SI on Florida RB Moody who is expected to be a huge help in keeping the T-man healthy this season.  Here's the article.

Just what the doctor ordered

Posted Image
High Expectations are on RB Emmanuel Moody

That's a good find, crawfish. By all accounts, Moody has been tearing it up in practice.:thumpsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image
. _ "Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

geechee

geechee
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
That was a good article. He seems ready to go if he stays healthy.

shanksta13

shanksta13
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was amazed by his ability at USC, but what keeps coming to mind is how weak PAC-10 defenses are in general.  In the Arizona State vs. Texas bowl game, everyone was expecting Arizona State to win fairly comfortable.  I went against the grain and said that ASU had faced almost no legitimate defenses except USC and would get dominated by Texas' defense.  I was right.  That's what scares me about Moody.  SEC defenses are a whole different ballgame and I just hope his skills translate over to our conference.  Like Gatorbait said, though, he's supposedly all that in practice.  Also, our offensive line has full confidence in him as I indicated in a thread a few weeks ago.

Bulldog Bry

Bulldog Bry
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

shanksta13 said:

I was amazed by his ability at USC, but what keeps coming to mind is how weak PAC-10 defenses are in general.  In the Arizona State vs. Texas bowl game, everyone was expecting Arizona State to win fairly comfortable.  I went against the grain and said that ASU had faced almost no legitimate defenses except USC and would get dominated by Texas' defense.  I was right.  That's what scares me about Moody.  SEC defenses are a whole different ballgame and I just hope his skills translate over to our conference.  Like Gatorbait said, though, he's supposedly all that in practice.  Also, our offensive line has full confidence in him as I indicated in a thread a few weeks ago.

Don't tease me, Shanskta!:laugh:
GATA!

shanksta13

shanksta13
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Bulldog Bry said:

Don't tease me, Shanskta!:laugh:

Don't worry, I promise you will go up against an SEC defense in Jacksonville this year. :laugh:

gatorlover97

gatorlover97
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If he doesn't start I'll be mad. He reminds me of a poor man's Darren McFadden. He's got everything, moves, speed, and power, except DMF was great at everything and Moody is very good at everything.

shanksta13

shanksta13
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

gatorlover97 said:

If he doesn't start I'll be mad. He reminds me of a poor man's Darren McFadden. He's got everything, moves, speed, and power, except DMF was great at everything and Moody is very good at everything.

He's currently sitting at #4 on the depth chart in practice.  Kestahn Moore, Brandon James and Mon Williams are all ahead of him at the moment.  He looks very good, though.

MullensTaintNectar

MullensTaintNectar

TSUNami

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
think he'll get the start or carry by comittee?
Posted Image

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Nothing is real

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Can't wait to see him out there on the field as a Gator!
Posted Image

shanksta13

shanksta13
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

NiKka said:

think he'll get the start or carry by comittee?

It really depends on the kind of spring he has and who ends up in front of him heading into fall practice.  Meyer is firmly of the belief that spots are won and lost in spring practice.  He also hates turnovers and if Kestahn Moore fumbles the ball next year at all, you have to figure Moody or Mon Williams will be right there to take over.

FiftytwoTwentyForever

FiftytwoTwentyForever
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I still see it as a committee regardless of who the starter is.  There are just too many weapons to have a "feature back" getting 20 carries a game.

shanksta13

shanksta13
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The new runnings back coach said in an interview that he didn't really care whether or not we had a 1,000 yard rusher.

Here were his comments:
News - - Gainesville.com

New running backs coach Kenny Carter has already boned up on some of his Florida football history.

When asked if one of his goals is to have a 1,000-yard rusher in his first season at UF, Carter was quick to point out Thursday that the Gators have had only seven since 1955 (over nine seasons).

"You would love to have a 1,000-yard rusher," he said. "But that's not easy to come by at any school. It's not easy."

Carter actually could have illustrated his point even a little better. Since the Gators had no player rush for 1,000 yards in a season before 1955, there have been only seven in the entire 100-year-plus history of Florida football.

Because no UF tailback has come close to rushing for 1,000 yards in three seasons under Urban Meyer, the figure has been tossed around a lot lately, especially with a new running backs coach taking over and the start of spring practice less than three weeks away.

Carter has some definite thoughts on the 1,000-yard thing, the dominant one being that the goal isn't necessarily to have a tailback rush for 1,000 yards, but for the position to produce a 1,000-yard season.

"The biggest thing is we want to be productive," said Carter, the former running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Vanderbilt. "We want to be a productive part of the offense. We want to make sure when it's time for us to carry the ball, we do what we're supposed to do.

"Our whole deal is to do what we need to do to win games. If we have one guy that rushes for 1,000 yards, outstanding. But if we have a collection of guys that rush for more than 1,000 yards, then we're getting the production out of the position, which is more important.

"In the end, it all comes down to how many yards did you rush for. Ultimately, it doesn't matter who rushed for what. What matters is what we produce from that position and how many wins do you have at the end of the season."

Florida's lack of production (and lack of a feature back) at the position the past three seasons has created (fairly or unfairly) the perception that Meyer's spread offense is not tailback friendly. The perception seemed to grow last season, when UF's top two rushers were quarterback Tim Tebow and wide receiver Percy Harvin.

Then Stan Drayton left in January to become the running backs coach at Tennessee, saying he wanted the opportunity to coach in a more traditional tailback-oriented offense.

Is it the offense or the talent at the position that's resulted in no feature back at Florida?

"My thought on that is whatever our responsibility is within the system, that's what we're supposed to do and we get it done," Carter said. "When it's time to run the ball, we run the ball. When it's time to block, we block. When it's time to pass protect, we pass protect.

"The ultimate goal is to win championships. We are not going to get caught up in the ‘I rushed for this, I rushed for that,’ because you can rush for 280 yards in a game and if you don't win, who cares?"

Carter said Meyer hired him to make the tailback position more productive.

"That was one of the things that really attracted me to this job, the challenge of getting that position going and getting them productive," he said.

Carter said from what he's seen, lack of talent is not an issue.

The leading contenders to become the feature back this spring are incumbent starter Kestahn Moore, Southern California transfer Emmanuel Moody, Mon Williams (who has fully recovered from knee surgery), Brandon James and redshirt freshman Chis Rainey.

"Nothing's set," Carter said. "We want to put ourselves in a position where somebody establishes themselves as the back at Florida. We're excited about seeing who is going to step up and answer the call.

"We do have running backs. There are some good players here and they're going to get their carries and get their opportunity to make some things happen. It will show out real quick who is going to be the No. 1 guy, the guy who's going to play a lot."

Many are thinking Moody might be the guy, but Carter said he hasn't seen any tape on the transfer and that Moody is currently trying to battle through a quadriceps contusion.

"He's very, very athletic, he's very fast and he's very strong," Carter said. "He's one of the stronger backs I've ever been around. He's got a lot of things he brings to the table. You don't just start at Southern Cal (as a true freshman) and not be the real deal. I'm excited to see the things that he'll be able to do."

Carter said there is no pressure on Moody or any other tailback heading into the spring.

"The pressure is on our position group," he said. "The group has to step up and get the job done. It's all about when you get an opportunity to run the ball, you make something happen and you make a difference."

Texas_Dawg

Texas_Dawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
:whistle:

geechee

geechee
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Texas_Dawg said:

:whistle:

Yea, I really don't won't to start judging this early but he probably has a lot less yards than our 4th string RB. He has certainly not lived up to his hype so far, not even close. Even worse, he has yet to face an SEC defense. Of course, on the bright side for UF, they really haven't needed him to.