Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Joakim Noah benched by fellow players

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Cianne

Cianne

Oct. 2005 Poster of the Month

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
http://http://sports...tory?id=3194819

ATLANTA -- Chicago Bulls rookie Joakim Noah was benched for Sunday's 105-84 loss to the Atlanta Hawks -- by his teammates.

They delivered a unanimous vote after the rookie from Florida was involved in a confrontation with assistant coach Ron Adams in practice before Friday's game at Philadelphia.

Noah was inactive for the Philadelphia game for internal disciplinary reasons, but the players told interim coach Jim Boylan one game was not enough.

"We have a chance to salvage this season and we just need everybody on the page," said Bulls veteran guard Adrian Griffin.

"It's one of those things that I believe is going to bring us closer.

"Everyone on this team knows what Joakim can do and we just look forward to getting him back on the court."

Noah, who is averaging 4.2 points and 3.1 rebounds in 12.3 minutes, sat behind the Bulls bench, wearing street clothes.

"They just told me what I did was unacceptable and I'm just going to move on from here," Noah said before the game. "I've just got to accept it. What do you want me to say? I've just got to move on. There's nothing I can do about it."

When asked if he believes the two-game suspension is too severe, Noah said "Ask the players who made the decision. I don't know. ... Do I agree with it? It doesn't make a difference. I respect my teammates."

Boylan, promoted to head coach on Dec. 27 after Scott Skiles was fired, said the suspension resulted from more than one incident.

Boylan called Noah "a great kid," but noted he's been involved in "a couple of situations where he's been late or not doing what the Chicago Bulls do. So the cumulative aspect of this is definitely part of the reasoning for the players doing what they did."

"This isn't college anymore," Boylan said. "It's the NBA. This is professional sports."

He said the team felt Noah needed to sit another game.

"They felt it deserved more," Boylan said. "It was the entire team that felt that way, so I back my team and the decision that they made, and appreciate the leadership that they've shown."

Atlanta rookie Al Horford, who played with Noah at Florida, called the ninth pick in the draft "very emotional" and "very competitive."

"I just feel it's a learning experience for everyone in general," Horford said. "If you cross a line in something like that, there's consequences to it. ... He wants to win really bad. I think people will figure him out as time goes on."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tennessee Ted

Tennessee Ted
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What a disappointment the Bulls have been this year.  They keep hording top draft picks that do not gel as a team and cannot play defense.  Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Kurt Heinrich, Tyrus Thomas, and Joakim Noah were all highly touted and individually seem pretty good, but they do not gel as a team.  

The reasons are many.  One, they do not have a good low post player.  Two, they do not have a star or 4th quarter go to player.  Three, they rely too much on the jumper (this is related to not have a low post player.)  Star players are what really drives the NBA.  I think the Bulls are going to have to make a trade to get one.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Tennessee Ted said:

What a disappointment the Bulls have been this year.  They keep hording top draft picks that do not gel as a team and cannot play defense.  Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Kurt Heinrich, Tyrus Thomas, and Joakim Noah were all highly touted and individually seem pretty good, but they do not gel as a team.  

The reasons are many.  One, they do not have a good low post player.  Two, they do not have a star or 4th quarter go to player.  Three, they rely too much on the jumper (this is related to not have a low post player.)  Star players are what really drives the NBA.  I think the Bulls are going to have to make a trade to get one.

That's part of Noah's problem. He's a rookie who's unaccustomed to losing like this; and we all know he's a very passionate and excitable player and person in the first place. It has to be quite frustrating for him. Hopefully, this incident will teach him that those kinds of outburts aren't acceptable for pro players. At least he wasn't a veteran who tried to strangle his coach or start a fight with fans... he'd have no excuse. He has some growing up to do, though, and I guess that's part of being a newbie. I like that his teammates did it, because it'll show him that it's not only coaches who have a problem with it, but his peers; and that'll be far more effective, as he won't think the coaches are being unreasonable and taking sides.
Posted ImagePosted Image

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
hell, i wish some of my favorite pro teams had that kind of leadership.

Tennessee Ted

Tennessee Ted
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

zartan said:

hell, i wish some of my favorite pro teams had that kind of leadership.

They may have leadership as far as discipline, but no one is willing to take that leadership and consistantly be the go to guy in the 4th quarter.

Cianne

Cianne

Oct. 2005 Poster of the Month

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Tennessee Ted said:

They may have leadership as far as discipline, but no one is willing to take that leadership and consistantly be the go to guy in the 4th quarter.

Can you blame them?  None of them have any job security.  They play like they might not be around next game and have since the end of last season when the Kobe Bryant trades started.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tennessee Ted

Tennessee Ted
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Cianne said:

Can you blame them?  None of them have any job security.  They play like they might not be around next game and have since the end of last season when the Kobe Bryant trades started.

Actually, I disagree.  The reason they did not pull the trigger on the Kobe trade was they thought the young talent they had was too valuable.  I would think that would be a confidence booster to these players.

Kurt Heinrich is signed to a long term contract, so he has security.  Deng and Gordon were the main players being shopped in the possible trade.  All of three of these player have not had the kind of year that was expected of them.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

He has some growing up to do

Understatement of the century.  Rooks do not go running their mouth to the media or to the veterans on a professional basketball team.  They do not act like spoiled brats.  And they sure as hell don't run their mouth to their coach.  Noah did not receive that memo, and continues to prove how classless he really is.

Only Gator fans will defend his actions.  You won't find anyone outside of Gainesville, including (and especially) in Chicago...no matter how much "hustle" and "heart" and "passion" he brings.  This is basketball, this is professional, this is a business, and there are rules and ways to conduct yourself.  Noah is a brat who received an overly inflated ego because he was a part of a solid team.  His "heart" and "passion" (what the rest of us in reality refer to as running his mouth and his attitude) made him an easy target for praise and acceptance on campus.  That and his ugly ass haircut.  

Once the team was seperated and shipped off to where they are...only Horford has proven to be 100% capable.  If Noah didn't have the emotional stability of Terrell Owens...he might have a future in the NBA.

As far as the Kobe trade, I thought I addressed that issue many moons ago.  Paxson has an avowed love affair w/Deng (not literally moron! :D ) and as was stated above....believed the young talent he had was more valuable than one player.  Scott Skiles meanwhile as early as the end of last season was quoted as saying he thought he had lost this team.  Obviously, his firing was not totally unexpexcted, or undeserved....but I guarantee Skiles wasn't exactly sad about it either.  Coaches get stale in the NBA and that's why they have to move on and around.

Which is why Larry Brown is so damn good at what he does.
Posted Image

Tennessee Ted

Tennessee Ted
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Here is a good article about the woeful state of the Bulls and Noah.

Pow! Bulls might be down for the count without some scoring punch -- chicagotribune.com

Tennessee Ted

Tennessee Ted
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This just shows how stupid Noah is.  If you are pissed at the way the veterans are treating you go after Ben Gordon or Kurt Heinrich, not Ben Wallace.  

Bulls rookie Joakim Noah has another testy exchange with teammate Ben Wallace - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The Ramp

The Ramp
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
sugar coat it all you want...the kid is immature
Posted Image
BamaPerry: No trophy for Miles. Not this year, not ever.

the Paradox

the Paradox

Supergenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Actually he was suspended because his teammates finally discovered that Noah is actually female.

RTR

Dooley's Perfect Part

Dooley's Perfect Part

Sabanocchio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

the Paradox said:

Actually he was suspended because his teammates finally discovered that Noah is actually female.

RTR
WTH, he plays for the Bulls? I thought he was in the WNBA.

follow me on Twitter @sabanocchio

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Actually, the kid did well in his first game back... he got his first career double-double. He did a helluva lot better than Wallace. Wallace had 4 points, 3 rebounds, and 0 blocks in 22 minutes as the starter; and Noah had 12 points, 11 rebounds, and 1 block in 23 minutes off the bench vs. Orlando.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tennessee Ted

Tennessee Ted
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah, Wallace has been a big bust for the Bulls, but I don't think it is all his fault.  The Bulls do not have a low post player like the Pistons nor do we have a low post defender like Rasheed Wallace.  In Detroit Wallace was free to roam more, which is where he excels.  

Not to make excuses for him because he seems to get frustrated here in Chicago because of the way he is used and gives up.  There is no excuse for that.  Noah was probably giving him hell because of it.  Talking smack to Ben Wallace is not advised, especially by a rook even if it is deserved.