Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Charter bus carrying Ohio baseball team falls of bridge onto busy interstate in Atl

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
A charter bus filled with college baseball players and coaches travelling from Ohio to Florida went over the side of an over-pass and fell onto I-75 this morning in Atlanta. They are reporting multiple fatalities and pulling the roof off the bus to get the people out. I don't care who you pray to, but say some for these people. Last report says 6 killed.:sad: It was first reported that they were little league players, but now appears to be a team from a school in Ohio.
Posted ImagePosted Image
. _ "Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

WayzUp

WayzUp

Cynical Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Just saw it on CNN...the bus was carrying players from Bluffton University.  The fatality count is up to 8 as far as they know with "several others" suffering serious injuries & taken to hospital.

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?

Gator2753

Gator2753

Going HAM since 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Traffic is a nightmare in ATl today. Fridays are usually bad but with this incident, all I-75 traffic is being diverted to I-285 East and West.

It happened at 5:30 this morning. It was a charter bus carrying a baseball team from  Bluffton University in Ohio. So far they are reporting 6 people have been killed.
Please keep all the kids and their families in your thoughts and prayers today.

Here is a link to the story.
6 Dead In Bus Crash; I-75 Blocked - News

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Gator2753 said:

Traffic is a nightmare in ATl today. Fridays are usually bad but with this incident, all I-75 traffic is being diverted to I-285 East and West.

It happened at 5:30 this morning. It was a charter bus carrying a baseball team from  Bluffton University in Ohio. So far they are reporting 6 people have been killed.
Please keep all the kids and their families in your thoughts and prayers today.

Here is a link to the story.
6 Dead In Bus Crash; I-75 Blocked - News

This is what the little league tragedy thread is about. At 6:30, they were still reporting it was a team of little league players.:thumpsup: I changed the thread, but it won't let you change the title.
Posted ImagePosted Image

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Nothing is real

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

gatorunvrsty said:

A charter bus filled with college baseball players and coaches travelling from Ohio to Florida went over the side of an over-pass and fell onto I-75 this morning in Atlanta. They are reporting multiple fatalities and pulling the roof off the bus to get the people out. I don't care who you pray to, but say some for these people. Last report says 6 killed.:sad: It was first reported that they were little league players, but now appears to be a team from a school in Ohio.

I will pray for them all and hope they find peace somehow. This is a disaster.

KillerNut

KillerNut

Dec. 2007 Member of the Month

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Bluffton University is only about an hour from my house and some kids I went to school with, played baseball there. It's a NCAA Division 3 school which plays a lot of other small colleges around my area and Fort Wayne, IN area. I am unsure as of now if anyone I know was involved in the accident but I don't believe there was. Please send all your prayers to these young men and their families along with the kids from the Alabama School. What a tragedy.

crawfish

crawfish
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This hits home to all of us who have kids playing college sports who travel all over the country week after week.  I'm always holding my breath every week when my my child is traveling to the next away game, usually 5 to 15 hours away.  My heart and prayers go out to these kids and parents.  I can't even imagine the pain.

KillerNut

KillerNut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Image

Bluffton University, a liberal arts university in Ohio affiliated with Mennonite Church USA.

Gator2753

Gator2753

Going HAM since 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Air Tran has offered to fly the families involved down to Atlanta for free. Air Trans stock just went up in my book.:thumpsup:

KillerNut

KillerNut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Gator2753 said:

Air Tran has offered to fly the families involved down to Atlanta for free. Air Trans stock just went up in my book.:thumpsup:

Agreed. Thats very awesome of them to offer that. Like I stated earlier, Bluffton College is only about an hour away from my house and I went to High School with some guys that went on to play football and baseball their though I believe no one I knew was involved. I wonder how long and how far I75 was backed up. Maybe Gator2753 or Gatorunrvsty could answer that since you guys live in Atlanta?

Gator2753

Gator2753

Going HAM since 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

KillerNut said:

Agreed. Thats very awesome of them to offer that. Like I stated earlier, Bluffton College is only about an hour away from my house and I went to High School with some guys that went on to play football and baseball their though I believe no one I knew was involved. I wonder how long and how far I75 was backed up. Maybe Gator2753 or Gatorunrvsty could answer that since you guys live in Atlanta?

I only know what I saw on the news but I understand 75 was and still is shutdown through most of Atlanta. All I-75 traffic has been diverted to I-285 which is basically a bypass around Atlanta. I can imagine 285 will be slammed today.
Ive been sick since Wednesday and still am today so I have not driven in traffic. I can imagine its a nightmare though.

Killer I hope none of your friends were killed or injured in this:thumpsup:

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

KillerNut said:

The traffic right around that area is already as bad as I've ever seen anywhere, and, as you might imagine, shutting down I-75 and diverting around Atlanta has been torture. I live about 2 miles from the interstate, and decided early this morning not to even try getting on it. I was watching CNN at 6:30 AM as the news was first breaking. Absolutely terrible. They just released the names and pictures of the victims on our local news, but I wasn't ready to write them down for you, Nut. I hope none of your friends were hurt, but you should be able to find out now that they've released the info..
Posted ImagePosted Image

KillerNut

KillerNut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

gatorunvrsty said:

The traffic right around that area is already as bad as I've ever seen anywhere, and, as you might imagine, shutting down I-75 and diverting around Atlanta has been torture. I live about 2 miles from the interstate, and decided early this morning not to even try getting on it. I was watching CNN at 6:30 AM as the news was first breaking. Absolutely terrible. They just released the names and pictures of the victims on our local news, but I wasn't ready to write them down for you, Nut. I hope none of your friends were hurt, but you should be able to find out now that they've released the info..

No one I knew directly was hurt, but some of my friends knew some guys on the team and one of them is dead. There are a couple schools around my area that had some losses. Other than that, I haven't heard anything else. Thanks for the info Gator2753 and gatorunvrsty. :thumpsup:

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Zach Arend, another player on the bus, died this morning.:sad: That brings the total to 7. 5 players, the driver, and his wife. 2 players and the coach are still in the hospital. Drop a line to who you pray to, and ask for that to be the last one lost.
Posted ImagePosted Image

KillerNut

KillerNut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

gatorunvrsty said:

Zach Arend, another player on the bus, died this morning.:sad: That brings the total to 7. 5 players, the driver, and his wife. 2 players and the coach are still in the hospital. Drop a line to who you pray to, and ask for that to be the last one lost.

Arend was one of the players that was from a school in my area. I didn't know him personally but I know some people that knew him. What a terrible thing to happen especially on a spring trip that no one would expect anything to go wrong. They had a write up on him in our county newspaper yesterday. :sad: