Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

What I Learned in the SEC: Week 1

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

BulldawgFan

BulldawgFan

Dak>Bo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I wanted to post a few things I learned from the week 1 games in the sec. In no particular order.

Tennessee: I learned the UT thinks they are an NFL team and need to play on sunday.
Ole Miss: I learned that William Wallace still doesn't know which team to throw the ball to.
Alabama: I learned that their all star filled secondary doesn't worry itself with things like coverage or tackling ,but they sure can run the ball.
Florida: I learned Muschamp does not like getting his hair wet.
Auburn: I learned they might have the wrong qb starting. JJ might wanna plant something in NM's vehicle before the next game.
Mississippi State: I learned my team should never try to kick a fg again.
Arkansas: I learned they love to run the ball...for two quarters anyway.
LSU: I learned that being the number 1 recruit doesn't make you a superstar.
Texas A&M: I learned that they may have a better qb now than that previous manziel guy.
USC: I learned that they need to find 11 new starters for defense.
Vanderbilt: I learned that they returned to being the traditional vandy we all know and love.
Kentucky: I "heard" that they have a pretty good rb this year.
Georgia: I learned that Gurley may be awarded the heisman next week.
Missouri: I learned that Mauk may be a better qb than I gave him credit for.

What did you guys learn?
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

Puke, inside-of-a-pumpkin orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Alabama: Sims is limited in upside, but could serve as a good caretaker of the offense. Running game will have to shoulder the load, which I think it can in *most* games. Defense doesn't look improved vs HUNH and this concerns me.
Auburn: Defense seemed improved over last year, especially on third down. CAP is a beast, as is every RB they trot out there. I feel like they need to get Jeremy Johnson involved on a regular basis at QB, despite Marshall's success. And that new WR is pretty scary.
Arkansas: Strong running game, really good offensive line. Hung with Auburn longer than I thought, so I think they're overall improved from last season. But still lack overall depth to hang with big teams for 4 Q.
Georgia: I'm just glad we don't have to see Todd Gurley in the regular season. He's the best player in the conference. Mason will be fine as a caretaker type of QB who can eventually blossom into a guy that will make plays. Defense for UGA looks significantly better, which makes them the favorite in the East, imo.
Kentucky: Didn't watch hardly any of their game, but the offense seems pretty explosive in terms of its potential. Still a bit of an unknown but I think they will be able to score against most teams.
LSU: Good running game, same physical style of play. But that QB situation could really prove to be troublesome for them if they don't improve in terms of efficiency. They seem similar to us, actually...with us a little more proven at key positions. But I'm impressed at the fight they showed to rally from down 17.
Missouri: Another one of those games you can't take away much from...because of the opponent. I didn't learn much about Missouri because they didn't showcase much. Just did what it took to get an easy win. That Hansbrough back put up a hell of a line, though.
Mississippi State: Southern Miss is pretty awful, so you can't take away too much from this. But Dak is for real and they seem to distribute the wealth pretty good among their skill guys. Defense pitching a shutout is always good, against anyone in this day and age.
Ole Miss: I'm a believer in the Rebel D. It's one of the better units in the conference. But Bo still plays recklessly. Good supporting cast should help him out though. I think this team is good, not yet SEC West contender good.
South Carolina: They aren't as bad as Aggy made them look. I firmly believe that. They'll adjust and play better defensively. I still like the upside of their running game. Offensive line needs to play better for them, though. That was supposed to be a strength yet they got manhandled.
Texas A&M: Yikes. They look SCARY good. Offense has not missed a beat without Johnny Clipboard and the defense looked better than it did at any point of last year. That's the real key. I knew A&M would score points, but I dismissed their potential because I thought their D would get smoked. Instead, it did the smoking. A&M is a West contender and has to be a top 10 team at this point.
Vanderbilt: Lost to Temple by 30 points. Meanwhile, James Franklin is 1-0 at Penn State with a quality win yesterday. Vanderbilt is back to being...Vanderbilt.

Blake "The Snake" Sims

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

6-1 (3-1)

Next Game: @ Tennessee Volunteers

Knoxville, Tennessee

Neyland Stadium

WDavE

WDavE
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I learned that Auburn will have a QB when the 2105 season starts.

How I ranked the west after week #1.

A&M
Auburn, Alabama, LSU
MSU
Ole Miss
Ark.
"If a Laundromat in Tuscaloosa wants to pick Alabama No. 1, we'll claim it." -- Paul W. Bryant

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBulldawgFan, on 31 August 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Missouri: I learned that Mauk may be a better qb than I gave him credit for.

What did you guys learn?
I disagree with you on Mauk. I was very unimpressed. He had no pocket presence and kept running out of the pocket too quickly. I had confirmed what I thought coming into the season, our defensive line won't skip a beat. Golden had 10 tackles, 3 TFL, and 1.5 sacks, Ray had 6 tackles, 1.5 TFL, and 1 sack.

BulldawgFan

BulldawgFan

Dak>Bo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 31 August 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

I disagree with you on Mauk. I was very unimpressed. He had no pocket presence and kept running out of the pocket too quickly. I had confirmed what I thought coming into the season, our defensive line won't skip a beat. Golden had 10 tackles, 3 TFL, and 1.5 sacks, Ray had 6 tackles, 1.5 TFL, and 1 sack.

I only watched the first drive and saw a highlight of another td throw he made so I was working on limited knowledge.
Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I didn't see many bit the few I did had plenty of mistakes. Week 1 is always rough

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

HALLOWEEN is Creeping Up On Us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What I learned yesterday... we have ALL got some work ahead of us. I was lukewarm about the Alabama game. I didn't like the way the D played, but I am okay with the offense. 33 points is fine, but letting them score 23 is NOT. No way.
Posted Image

DjCrenshaw

DjCrenshaw
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I learned that the sec is playing some sloppy ball this year

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Other than an awful Int in the redzone, Dak played like I thought he would. The D is salty, forevermore salty. I know USM sucks beyond belief, but our D is impressive regardless. Jay Hughes is a leader and motivator even if Market is better. It was cool watching him return that blocked kick last night. It was weird watching Dillon Day get manhandled in the 1st q. But he seemed to settle down a little and play better after that. I am totally cool with going for it on fourth down from now on whenever we are in FG range.

Dak only had 22 yards rushing last night. But it was USM. We didn't need him to run, and we won't next week either. When we need him to run, his legs will be there, and he will be way more comfortable that he was last night. After he eased up a bit and started letting it rip in the 2nd and third Qs. he got way, way better.

Edited by 1dawgfan09, 31 August 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I really wanted to see what Florida would do on offense, and I wonder whether UT can beat decent OOC opposition
Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I didn't learn a damn thing
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

BulldawgFan

BulldawgFan

Dak>Bo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 31 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

really? You picked up nothing even from OM's game?
Posted Image

Titans4Vols

Titans4Vols
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBulldawgFan, on 31 August 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

really? You picked up nothing even from OM's game?

Picking up anything from your first game is always a bit fishy. Even if it's against decent to great competition, what you look like in week 1 is usually not what you look like the majority of the year.

I mean, no one expects Bama's defense to suck all year, do they?

One does not simply throw towards Cameron Sutton.

Posted Image

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Someone has cloned mediocre somewhat athletic qbs and lsu is recruiting every one of them

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 31 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Damn straight. Its the weekend. You Posted Imageers can't force your learning on me on Saturdays. Mwahahaha
Posted Image