Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

An Open Letter to Rolling Coal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

msubulldogfan1

msubulldogfan1

Full blown homer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 26 August 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

Those folks like the smell of their own farts. My truck averages 18 to 19 hwy/city. It also has to pull 10 to 15 thousand pound trailers. That battery would need charging after a hundred yards of that. Deal is if they want to drive those cars I'm fine with it. They just don't do the job I need done.
to be fair, who don't like the smell of their own farts?!?

AMIRITE!?!?!

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postmsubulldogfan1, on 26 August 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

to be fair, who don't like the smell of their own farts?!?

AMIRITE!?!?!

Wth?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Look up battery mfg....from mining the materials till completion... Not good for the environment and batteries will have tooo be replaced.

dawgbit

dawgbit

"Liberty isn't a loophole."--nova

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postpossumslayer, on 26 August 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

Look up battery mfg....from mining the materials till completion... Not good for the environment and batteries will have tooo be replaced.
zactly...but so long as they feel good about saving the environment and can still look down their collective nose at all of us savages, big .corp/big .gov will happily and greedily take their $$$.

The Doctor

The Doctor

Wibbly Wobbley Timey Wimey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdawgbit, on 25 August 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Not to be an argumentative bastard, but two out of every three kilowatts charging prius's tonight on our little corner of the the planet come from carbon fuels. I'd say that's a very large percentage...

I was just disagreeing with his post about coal, not fossil fuels as a whole. I know the majority of our energy comes from fossil fuels, and I would love a way to get away from that.
Formerly known as rebelfan91

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBased Potato, on 26 August 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

Jesus what are these small 4 door cars you're talking about? That's pitiful gas mileage. My 240 got 22-23 with the injectors being screwy and me beating the everloving Posted Image out of it.

It's a 3 series. The computer says I get 24.5 on avg but every time I check it manually it's lower than that. And that's with high octane. But I couldn't care less about gas mileage.

Edited by GoldenRebel, 26 August 2014 - 08:40 AM.

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Doctor, on 26 August 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

I was just disagreeing with his post about coal, not fossil fuels as a whole. I know the majority of our energy comes from fossil fuels, and I would love a way to get away from that.
There are- solar and wind.  A plug-in electric car powered from a home fitted with solar panels and a windmill could eliminate the need for fossil fuels. But you can't get some to understand or believe that. Those people will continue to Posted Image up the planet and point fingers at whatever or whomever they can to keep from shouldering any of the blame themselves.

That's why none of the discussion over global warming or green energy will ever mstter. The ignorant majority will always override what's best for the environment. We live in the now, and that's as far as they want to see.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Most of us "live in the now" because all of this green technology isn't cost effective for the average Joe living paycheck to paycheck.
Posted Image

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

The only way we get away from fossil fuels is if fusion (and possibly thorium nuclear) becomes commercially viable.  Those are techs that have enough energy return that you can generate liquid fuels for use in transport applications.  ITER and DEMO are actual working projects to commercialize fusion power so it's something we may see before I'm inhabiting a cemetary plot....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEMO

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 26 August 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

The only way we get away from fossil fuels is if fusion (and possibly thorium nuclear) becomes commercially viable.  Those are techs that have enough energy return that you can generate liquid fuels for use in transport applications.  ITER and DEMO are actual working projects to commercialize fusion power so it's something we may see before I'm inhabiting a cemetary plot....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEMO
or maybe hydrogen...

nova

nova

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSquealliam Fatner, on 26 August 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

There are- solar and wind.  A plug-in electric car powered from a home fitted with solar panels and a windmill could eliminate the need for fossil fuels. But you can't get some to understand or believe that. Those people will continue to :lanekiffin: up the planet and point fingers at whatever or whomever they can to keep from shouldering any of the blame themselves.

That's why none of the discussion over global warming or green energy will ever mstter. The ignorant majority will always override what's best for the environment. We live in the now, and that's as far as they want to see.

And pray tell how exactly do you build those solar panels and windmills without fossil fuels?  The reality is the entire world runs on the energy dense, easily transportable liquid fuels that fossil sources provide, up to and including all those nifty "green" technologies.

Without fossil fuels you don't mine all the rare earth elements that go into solar panels, don't transport those elements from where they're mined to the factory, don't run the factory, don't transport those panels to your door or anything in between.

Without fossil fuels, you don't have all the steel and plastic and wiring and everything else that goes into a windmill.  And when you're talking the big windmills, those are maintained by helicopters, a vehicle I can assure you isn't going to fly on batteries.

The only way the world goes completely green is what I stated above with fusion and/or thorium nuclear or we go back to living like it's 1750.  There is no other viable way to extract enough energy in forms we can use.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Let the libs pay twice as much for a product half as good if it makes their self esteem rise.
Posted Image

nova

nova

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postpossumslayer, on 26 August 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

or maybe hydrogen...

From an engineering standpoint, hydrogen is nothing more than a form of battery, and it's a rather poor one at that.  It's diffuse, hard to store and very volatile.

Then there's the issue of getting the hydrogen in the first place.  There's basically 3 methods.

1.  Electrolysis of water: very inefficient. better off using the electricity directly and avoiding the losses.  In effect the process you set up is - electricity -> hydrogen-> eletricity, with 2 sets of losses for conversion.
2.  thermolysis of water: more efficient, can use waste heat off nuclear plants (thorium or fusion) but by the time you have that much excess heat, you can use various catalyzed reactions to generate liquid fuel with none of the hydrogen problems.
3.  steam reformation of natural gas: this is currently the only way to get hydrogen in industrial quanties.  uses lots of energy to the point you may as well use the natural gas directly.

The "hydrogen" economy is a pipe dream among pipe dreams...

msubulldogfan1

msubulldogfan1

Full blown homer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

i e hear or seen the number at 40% is from coal.  I could be wrong tho.

The Doctor

The Doctor

Wibbly Wobbley Timey Wimey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postmsubulldogfan1, on 26 August 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

i e hear or seen the number at 40% is from coal.  I could be wrong tho.

Close to what I've read. I've read 37%.
Formerly known as rebelfan91

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users