Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

is it me or is the ice bucket challenge...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
at ridiculous level 1000?  

I'm all for folks making a donation even making a donation privately if you're that passionate about it. But is it necessary to attention whore yourself out on FB for this?

I've been called out by friends to do this on FB and I want to upper deck their toilet for it.

Yellow

Yellow

Dood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Heard on the radio this morning that ALS had approx 1 million in donations last year.

They are around 21 million for this year since the challenge started.

Edited by Yellow, 20 August 2014 - 10:49 AM.

Formerly known as cocky87

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It's been a very effective way to raise money for a good cause.I think they have raised more money in this short period than they did all last year.
Whatever it takes I guess.

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostYellow, on 20 August 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Heard on the radio this morning that ALS had approx 1 million in donations last year.

They are around 21 million for this year since the challenge started.

I think folks with ALS are ok with you being annoyed.

That's awesome. My question is are people just dumping a bucket of ice water over themselves for the hell of being on FB  or are they actually donating money and dumping a bucket of ice water over themselves?

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I agree it's pretty ridiculous. I donate money to charity, but have never made a post about it and don't even bring it up for the most part. I think it's just people who want the attention. I don't really mind though. If me having to scroll down for a few more seconds to skip past those posts means they're donating to charity then it's worth it. Then again I've never been called out on any of em.

Yellow

Yellow

Dood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA10Rebel, on 20 August 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

That's awesome. My question is are people just dumping a bucket of ice water over themselves for the hell of being on FB  or are they actually donating money and dumping a bucket of ice water over themselves?

I would say based on the numbers a lot of folks are donating.
Formerly known as cocky87

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Getting old but at least it's effective with raising $!
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
You probably already ignore half the articles/videos/links that folks post.  Why not just do the same for these?   I agree it's old at this point, but I just ignore them until someone recommends a particularly funny or interesting one.

Really it's like any other commercial.  No matter how fun it was the first few times you saw it, they always get annoying and overplayed the more successful the campaign.   People donate to charity all the time, but a private donation won't spur on a huge money maker like this free advertising.

As for whether people are just posting the video without donating, I think the ALS organization said they've received money from around 200,000 first time donors (and that was last week's data).  I'm sure there are some just doing the video but a whole lot are donating too.
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think at this point the onus is on the ALS organization far more than the video "challengers."  They've received so much money.   Obviously they're not expected to cure ALS, hah.   However if I were them I'd make a big deal releasing a report this time next year showing everything they've done or scheduled with this $20+ million....focusing in particular on what they wouldn't have been able to afford without this campaign.

Not only would it validate the campaign, but ideally motivate more unique ideas to promote lesser known charities.
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostOmahaBound, on 20 August 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

You probably already ignore half the articles/videos/links that folks post.  Why not just do the same for these?   I agree it's old at this point, but I just ignore them until someone recommends a particularly funny or interesting one.

Really it's like any other commercial.  No matter how fun it was the first few times you saw it, they always get annoying and overplayed the more successful the campaign.   People donate to charity all the time, but a private donation won't spur on a huge money maker like this free advertising.

As for whether people are just posting the video without donating, I think the ALS organization said they've received money from around 200,000 first time donors (and that was last week's data).  I'm sure there are some just doing the video but a whole lot are donating too.

this is a good point.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If you're going to do it at least say why you're doing it. That's my only quibble. If you are raising awareness for ALS, that's fine, but tell us that's what you're doing. Other than that, you're just playing with cold water.

Edited by 1dawgfan09, 20 August 2014 - 12:05 PM.

I'm certain the national media is relieved. They can kiss State's ass and go back to the old "Ole Miss is Waycist" narrative. Meanwhile I hope Gameday has fun in Morgantown. Look out for burning couches!

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA10Rebel, on 20 August 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

at ridiculous level 1000?  

I'm all for folks making a donation even making a donation privately if you're that passionate about it. But is it necessary to attention whore yourself out on FB for this?

I've been called out by friends to do this on FB and I want to upper deck their toilet for it.

this post raised my awareness for upper decking toilets,
though im afraid to find out what it is.

Posted Image

rwspear

rwspear

game recognize game and you lookin kinda unfamiliar right now

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
annoying, pandering, and self-serving but tangibly effective.

also, foo fighters won.

https://www.youtube....bed/XLZOjLv0_6k

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Social media is the driver of fundraising today and it's a brilliant idea based on that. It gets people involved and the way it's implemented keeps it at the forefront for an extended time. Plus it's fun. Am I tired of seeing it? Yes. But I'm perfectly ok with it even if those participating aren't necessarily making monetary contributions. Awareness is the most important thing. With it money will come

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It has gone over better than the "Alabama Tea Bag Challenge"....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users