Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Permanent Opponents for Basketball

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

SERDI

SERDI
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
So the big mystery was revealed Friday on this year's SEC Basketball schedule.  

What I want to know is when is Mr. Slive going to announce each of the schools three permanent home and home opponents?

I thought with all the talk that it would have begun this season but obviously with the the continued mickey mouse rotation now in its third season, Mr. Slive still can't pull the trigger.

Kentucky on tradition alone from 1933 to present should have Tennessee and Vanderbilt as two of its permanents and then the recent and mandated ESPN permanent, Florida.  

Surely, Mr. Slive will be able to announce each of the schools three permanents by the beginning of the 2015-16 season won't he?

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Florida, UT, and Arky
Posted Image

SERDI

SERDI
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I would expect a response for Arkansas for someone 25 years old.  

For the entire body of work as they say 1933 to present, Tennessee and Vanderbilt before all else.

Porcine

Porcine
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Would have been easier to stay with divisions.
HelmMap.gif

SERDI

SERDI
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I agree on the divisions...until many of the schools in the league step up their non-conference schedules it does not matter what kind of structure their is for basketball in the SEC, we are not going to get more or less bids to the NCAA tournament because of structure.

Porcine

Porcine
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSERDI, on 16 August 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

I agree on the divisions...until many of the schools in the league step up their non-conference schedules it does not matter what kind of structure their is for basketball in the SEC, we are not going to get more or less bids to the NCAA tournament because of structure.

We did our part. Now let's not choke away opportunities to solidify a spot in the tourny.
HelmMap.gif

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Basketball? The pig skins are flying, ain't nobody got time fo that.

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Tennessee and Vanderbilt should be mandatory with our long historical rivalries.  Arkansas/Mizzou/Florida take your pick for the last spot.
Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 16 August 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

Tennessee and Vanderbilt should be mandatory with our long historical rivalries.  Arkansas/Mizzou/Florida take your pick for the last spot.
Florida and Tennessee will be the definite ones and the last spot I think will come done to Mizzou and Arkansas.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 16 August 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

Florida and Tennessee will be the definite ones and the last spot I think will come done to Mizzou and Arkansas.
Vanderbilt is our second oldest and second biggest SEC rival.
Posted Image

SERDI

SERDI
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 17 August 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

Only charter members of the SEC understand that. If it is a level playing field and all stops are pulled to keep the most precious, historic, and traditional match ups on the football side, then it ought to be done for the flagship/aircraft carrier on the basketball side, and, Tennessee and Vanderbilt will be two of UK's three permanent opponents.  Currently Florida is arguably in that slot for the third; but, in years and decades past it has been State, LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas...they come and go.  Tennessee and Vanderbilt don't come and go...they are our permanent rivals.

Edited by SERDI, 17 August 2014 - 09:19 AM.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 17 August 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

And I don't think Slive cares about that at all. Mizzou/Arkansas/Florida will draw better ratings and be a marquee game for the SEC and one vs Vandy wouldn't.

SERDI

SERDI
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 17 August 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

And I don't think Slive cares about that at all. Mizzou/Arkansas/Florida will draw better ratings and be a marquee game for the SEC and one vs Vandy wouldn't.

It doesn't matter who Kentucky plays it will draw ratings.  If you think that is not a fact, look at at the Super Tuesday line up on ESPN.  Of all the games it is UK vs somebody or Florida vs somebody.  Only one time Arkansas v Georgia, is Kentucky or Florida not part of the Super Tuesday...and prior to Billy building Florida into a national program, the Super Tuesday games were limited to Kentucky vs somebody.  

Slive talks about tradition....then its UK with at least two of its permanent opponents Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSERDI, on 17 August 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

It doesn't matter who Kentucky plays it will draw ratings.  If you think that is not a fact, look at at the Super Tuesday line up on ESPN.  Of all the games it is UK vs somebody or Florida vs somebody.  Only one time Arkansas v Georgia, is Kentucky or Florida not part of the Super Tuesday...and prior to Billy building Florida into a national program, the Super Tuesday games were limited to Kentucky vs somebody.  

Slive talks about tradition....then its UK with at least two of its permanent opponents Tennessee and Vanderbilt.
I know Kentucky will draw good ratings because of BBN regardless of the opponent but a game against Mizzou/Arky/Florida would have national appeal for fans from any team and would draw significantly better ratings.

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've enjoyed our games with Kentucky over the years and I hope we can continue to play yearly.

There have been a lot of great games between the two since we joined the conference and it would be a shame to see it end.Our fans are passionate about basketball,too,of course not to the extent of Kentucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users