Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

How do I divorce my family?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
So, here's the situation...

My only brother and his wife are expecting a baby in January and I couldn't be more excited to become an uncle for the first time.  My kids will finally have a cousin!  I can't wait until the kid gets old enough to come spend weekends with us and overall, I'm just looking forward to it.

Here's the problem.  They have scheduled a "Gender Reveal" party for August 30th.  She's a nurse and he's a paramedic, so they have limited options for free days.  But I called them and told them that it wouldn't work since I have tickets to the Clemson game.  But they wouldn't reschedule.  So I called my mom and warned her that I would be the black sheep by not attending and not bringing my kids.  I was told that I would be excommunicated and not allowed to see my niece/ nephew.

So pretty much, I have it worked out so that I can spend an hour at the what-have-ya and make it to the game, but I'll miss tailgating.

Here are my concerns: first of all, what the Posted Image is a "gender reveal" party and is that another Posted Imagety girly event now that I'll have to start attending?  Secondly, does anyone see a solution where I can just ditch the rest of my family but still get to hang out with my niece/ nephew?
Posted Image
Formerly known as gatorhater

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
P.S. This is in the football forum intentionally
Posted Image

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Your mom needs a slap to the face for threatening you over something so inconsequential.
Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Your family is gay...

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Why do people schedule Posted Image on Saturdays in the fall?  My best friend got married on the day of the UGA - Bama game a few years back.  I was the best man and I considered skipping the wedding.

Maybe I need new family and friends.
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Be a man and don't go.  UK is in the middle of a "Big Blue Bahamas" basketball exhibition tour....Sunday Monday Tuesday and then tomorrow Saturday Sunday.  Girlfriends mom wanted to have a family dinner Sunday at noon which conflicted with UK basketball game (they're from New York, but they knew about the game.). I told her to enjoy herself.  To her credit, she stayed home and watched with me.

Last September one of her friends was getting married in Maine on a Saturday, on UK football Saturday, and on my 30th friggin birthday. And I was supposed to suck it up and go.  Not a chance. I stayed, she went.

My sister would be dumb enough to schedule some stuff on a Saturday, but when ever she has it has to be scheduled around the UK game.  Same goes for Bengals Sundays.
Posted Image

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If it's the birth, fine, christening, fine, baptism, fine, a Posted Imageing gender reveal? Posted Image that. Just say congrats bro, I'll be thinking of you when I watch UGA stomp Clemson.
Posted Image

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHerschel Talker, on 14 August 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Here are my concerns: first of all, what the :lanekiffin: is a "gender reveal" party and is that another Posted Imagety girly event now that I'll have to start attending?  Secondly, does anyone see a solution where I can just ditch the rest of my family but still get to hang out with my niece/ nephew?

Almost all baby events are girl events, this sounds like an excuse for the women to get together and activate full "emotional mode" ... Your mom is clearly overreacting and I naturally respond poorly to threats, I make people call their bluffs all the time.  I honestly would go to the game because I'm :lanekiffin:ing grown and I do what I :lanekiffin:ing what and that event sounds extremely minor.  If they don't want me in a kids life because I missed the part in the process where they told everyone the gender. That's on them not you. They should be happy for you being able to go to a big game like this one.

Last year on our Mizzou pay to post board a girl threatened to leave a guy over him going to the Florida game over going to her kid's 2nd birthday party that she had with another guy. The general consensus was that if the person doesn't know you well enough to know how important getting to go see your team in person would mean to you then they're not worth having around in your life anyways. I feel like this applies to this situation too.

^edit:  they refused to reschedule even a few hours to accommodate the game which was an early kickoff.

Tl;dr..... screw the estrogen fest... go watch football

Edited by MizzouMark, 14 August 2014 - 01:28 PM.

2014 SEC East Champions!!!

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm missing a friends' sister's wedding this fall, basically like a little sister. Alabama and Tennessee weekend, yeah. Some people just don't get it, it's not that hard to avoid a Saturday in the fall.

As for a gender reveal party, that's inexcusable. Missing the game completely would be terrible, but at least you'll get there. Hell, tailgate at their place...just drink on the future of a neice/nephew. Poor em out a beer.

Posted Image

GAMECOCK_FAN

GAMECOCK_FAN
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've never heard of a gender reveal party?  I usually say "family first" in most things, but crap, I'd be tempted to tell them to text you what the baby is going to be.

Actually, I think you're doing a good thing by spending an hour with the family and then heading to the game.  You may miss the tail-gating, but you'll make your family happy and also get to see UGA beat the crap out of Clemson (hopefully).

Edited by GAMECOCK_FAN, 14 August 2014 - 01:25 PM.

2014-15 Basketball (7-3, 0-0)
12/30/14 North Carolina A&T; 1/3/15 vs. Iowa State (in Brooklyn, NY); 1/7/15 Florida; 1/10/15 at Ole Miss; 1/13/15 Alabama; 1/17/15 at Auburn; 1/20/15 Tennessee; 1/24/15 Kentucky; 1/28/15 at LSU; 1/31/15 Georgia; 2/3/15 at Arkansas; 2/7/15 at Vanderbilt; 2/10/15 Missouri; 2/14/15 at Kentucky; 2/17/15 at Georgia; 2/21/15 Texas A&M; 2/24/15 at Alabama; 2/28/15 Mississippi State; 3/5/15 Arkansas; 3/7/15 at Tennessee

2014 Football (6-6, 3-5)
12/27/14 vs. Miami (FL) in Shreveport, LA (Independence Bowl)

2015 Baseball (0-0, 0-0)
2/13/15-2/15/15 College of Charleston; 2/17/15 Furman; 2/20/15-2/22/15 Northeastern; 2/24/15 Davidson; 2/27/15 at Clemson; 2/28/15 Clemson (Greenville, SC); 3/1/15 Clemson; 3/3/15 Charleston Southern; 3/6/15-3/8/15 Miami (OH); 3/10/15-3/11/15 Penn State; 3/13/15-3/15/15 Kentucky; 3/17/15 Winthrop; 3/20/15-3/22/15 at Missouri; 3/24/15 at Coastal Carolina; 3/27/15-3/29/15 Georgia; 3/31/15 at The Citadel; 4/3/15-4/5/15 at Mississippi State; 4/7/15 Appalachian State; 4/8/15 The Citadel; 4/10/15-4/12/15 at Florida; 4/14/15 Presbyterian; 4/17/15-4/19/15 Vanderbilt; 4/21/15 Furman; 4/24/15-4/26/15 at Tennessee; 5/1/15-5/3/15 Auburn; 5/6/15 Wofford; 5/8/15-5/10/15 at Texas A&M; 5/12/15 USC Upstate; 5/14/15-5/16/15 LSU

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
By the way, my post was very tongue-in-cheek.  My mom didn't actually threaten to kick me out of the family or keep me out of the kid's life.  I was just going over the top to highlight the grievous nature of scheduling family functions on Saturdays in the fall.
Posted Image

bamaboy

bamaboy
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
So I called my mom and warned her that I would be the black sheep by not attending and not bringing my kids.  I was told that I would be excommunicated and not allowed to see my niece/ nephew.

Secondly, does anyone see a solution where I can just ditch the rest of my family but still get to hang out with my niece/ nephew?

Let me offer some mature advice while i wait for direct tv to kick in with sec network at 5:00.
1. Don't go.
2. Send a gift... a cheap one.
3. Inform your mother that unless she is the Pope or one of his people/excommunicator  that she can't excommunicate anyone.
4. Get her excommunicated first.
5. Inform her that she can't see YOUR kids unless she brings your new nephew/niece with her.
6. Annoy all of your relatives like I do and you won't get invited anywhere.

On a serious note, I can see where there might be some potential hard feelings but I guess that depends on family dynamics. Just tell them you love them but have other commitments.
Life is short. ROLL TIDE!

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The Gender Reveal party is just another chick made up bullPosted Image event to Ooo and Aww at baby Posted Image.  Everyone is having them now and I have never, nor will i ever attend one.

@Herschel Talker

1. If it were me, I would tell my wife and kids to go and I would go tailgate with my Georgia fans (aka family) at your normal tailgating spot. Its the first game and a huge one. Nut up son... ( Keep in mind, i got married in April ) 18 months after i proposed...why? I told my now wife, that i WOULD NOT be missing ANY Georgia games so August - Jan was out of the picture.
I also attend the Gatornationals Drag race in March and my father and grandfathers birthday is also in March. So that's out. We settled on April.  

She drug me to a friends wedding 3 years ago when UGA played Kentucky. It was a church wedding. I agreed to go, not 5 min into the dudes walking down the isle, i had already hacked the church wifi, asked for forgiveness for committing that sin, and proceeded to insert an ear piece into my phone and watched the game the entire ceremony.  She will never ask me to miss a Georgia game again.

2. IF you get drug to hell on earth reveal party, whose to say you cant tailgate there? I would not miss the game if i had tickets if a sinkhole swallowed everything i know and love leaving me with only a pink bicycle with Posted Imageing ponies on it.

3. IF you dont grow any balls and go to this reveal party, Can i have you tickets?

Edited by Dawgfan4life24, 14 August 2014 - 01:42 PM.

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 8-2 (6-2)

Posted Image

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
UM - tell your mom that if she "excommunicates" you, she won't see her grandkids again

tell your brother that he is a faggot

send a gift and have your wife take the kids

problem solved
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

RodLovly

RodLovly

ehhhhh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What's this world coming to? Gender reveal party? Wtf?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users