Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

federal judge rules AR-15 style rifles are outside the 2nd amendment protections.

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 14 August 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I've noticed that even when local American Legions want to get artillery or tanks to place on their grounds, they're always decommissioned first; rendered inoperable.

It's hard to find a hard and fast rule about ownership of a tank with its main gun still intact; everything I can find online states it must have the firing mechanism deactivated.

The smaller machine guns are obviously another story, as there are specific laws about their acquisition and registration... the guys at Red Jacket obviously have all their federal ducks in a row because they play with all kinds of full auto weapons.

Whether you take the gun as an integral component or as a separate item, it is legally a destructive device.

http://www.law.corne...de/text/26/5845

(2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and

File your ATF Form 4, pay your $200, wait 27 years for BATFE to process it and go blow something up...

ETA

If you happen to have HE rounds, each of those would also be a DD with it's own tax stamp and transfer paperwork.  AP wouldn't have that issue...

Edited by nova, 14 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 14 August 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

The sheer land area of the US is a deterrent to any sort of martial law.

We've got about 2.2 million people under arms in the US, between active and reserve.  The land area of the US is about 3.8 million square miles.  That's just under 0.6 soldiers per square mile.

OK, so say you don't have to hold all the territory.  Remove the deserts and vast open spaces of the west.  Lets say you only have to control 1/3 of the land area.  That still only just over 1.7 soldiers per square mile.

Then you think, well how many of those troops are suitable for land combat?  Of the 2.2 million people under arms, ~940,000 are navy, air force and coast guard, the vast majority of which are not suitable for land combat.  I'll be charitable and say that half are suitable.  That's 0.46 soldiers per square mile.

OK, so not even all the Army and Marines are combat arms.  The "tooth to tail" ratio of the US ground combat forces has been running about 1/3 in the last decade or so.  That is 1 combat soldier for every 3 support soldiers.  I'll be generous and say it's a 50/50 mix.  That leaves 0.28 soldiers per square mile.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll just leave out the portion that are part of vehicle crews and the like, but it does further reduce the number.

And then all that assumes that you get 100% cooperation when you tell our troops to go kill their friends and neighbors.  Over half the US Army is guard and reserve who may or may not go along when you tell them to go start kicking in the doors of US citizens.

No the only way you control the land area of the US, is if you do it with the help and support of state and local law enforcement.  If you don't have that, then you don't have control, which is part of the reason I worry about the militarization of the police.

Most of those reasons are also why I struggle to compare the UK disarming citizens to the U.S. doing the same thing... Great Britain is about as big as Kansas, and has about as many people as California and Texas combined.

Posted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Liberals are so stupid.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 14 August 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Even the link you provided stated that civilians can only obtain tanks with deactivated weapons. Machine guns are legal; as long as you pay the tax and pass the additional scrutiny by the BATFE... those are also registered.

The deactivated surplus APC I bought for the farm had the starter removed. 250.00 later one was reinstalled. Dermo missile engines are easily obtained. I am part owner of multiple deactivated duece and a half trucks that needed a battery.

Posted Image