Nick Saban fires back on subject of HUNH offenses.. - Page 2 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Nick Saban fires back on subject of HUNH offenses..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 11 August 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

He has already made adjustments.  Why else would Alabama have 19 linebackers on the roster?

Rashaan Evans 6-3 225  4.51
Christian Miller    6-4 215  4.52
Keith Holcombe   6-3 215  4.46

Adrian Hubbard   6-6 252  4.69

HUNH uses speed to burn big pro style linebackers outside with screens and sweeps.  It's a mismatch that has to be accounted for.  I watched teams run around Adrian Hubbard too many times last season.  I do think smaller linebackers and the 4-3 is the way to attack the HUNH.  I think you'll see SEC defenses evolve and do a better job in stopping them.  The real advantage of the HUNH seems to be to get 4-6 yards quickly on 1st down and keep yourself ahead of the chains.  You can continue to go hurry up or you can slow it down on 2nd and 4 and draw up something really nice.  Everybody likes 2nd and 4 - except defenses.

Agreed. SC has had pretty good success against the HUNH while running a 4-2-5. Pretty much the same point you're making as far as having more mobile LBs(our Spur is basically a LB/safety hybrid). You need that speed on the field and you need depth. That seems like an obvious step, but I wonder how much size Saban is willing to give up on the D-line. He loves to use those mammoths in the middle(like every other 3-4), but they get winded fast. At SC we use the more conventional sizes on the line, and even had a rabbit package with 4 DEs on the line at one time. There are different ways to account for the different things you'll see, so it'll be interesting to see how people balance out their roster to accommodate for it all. The many different styles you'll see from week to week is one of the things I love about college football...like I said though it may get more difficult to have packages and lineups that'll allow you to be ready for anything you might see.

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Boy it's hell to be the BIG BOY on the hill. Everyone throwing rocks.

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hell he pretty much nailed it, and everything else has been hashed on already. Let's let the games begin and see if everyone puts their money where their mouth is, I'll still take Nicky.

Posted Image

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

I AM AN OLE MISS REBEL!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHail2TheTide, on 11 August 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Deflect away?

"We'll find out who wins"

Will you the hype machine that is Hugh Freeze's Ole Miss Rebels keep saying every year until they finally beat Alabama?

I actually believed Ole Miss could give us a game last year but they sure as hell proved me wrong.

Worry about the other team in your state before you think about beating Alabama.
Hey man, you got a second to discuss this years's Bama v Ole Miss game?  

:trollface: :trollface: :trollface:

(10) Ole Miss Rebels  3-0  (1-0)

Posted Image

View Postmsubulldogfan1, on 30 August 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

bear$ are legit.
Formerly known as FCNDawg

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 11 August 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hell he pretty much nailed it, and everything else has been hashed on already. Let's let the games begin and see if everyone puts their money where their mouth is, I'll still take Nicky.

Like I said in another thread: I'm tired of hearing about these guys, coaches, players, and whatnot. It's time for toe to meet leather. Let's watch these guys, and see what they can do already.
Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 11 August 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Agreed. SC has had pretty good success against the HUNH while running a 4-2-5. Pretty much the same point you're making as far as having more mobile LBs(our Spur is basically a LB/safety hybrid). You need that speed on the field and you need depth. That seems like an obvious step, but I wonder how much size Saban is willing to give up on the D-line. He loves to use those mammoths in the middle(like every other 3-4), but they get winded fast. At SC we use the more conventional sizes on the line, and even had a rabbit package with 4 DEs on the line at one time. There are different ways to account for the different things you'll see, so it'll be interesting to see how people balance out their roster to accommodate for it all. The many different styles you'll see from week to week is one of the things I love about college football...like I said though it may get more difficult to have packages and lineups that'll allow you to be ready for anything you might see.

I think he plans to use both.  We'll have guys that primarily play against LSU and Arkansas and guys that primarily play against Ole Miss and Auburn.  He has managed to get top talent with both type players.  I don't think we would have gotten Da'Shawn Hand without pitching 4-3.  Kentucky got the big 3-4 NT that we wanted.  I think I'm going to lament missing out on him like I did with Clowney and Fournette & almost did with C. Kouandjio.  Saban has great depth on the DL this year though if we can get our guys back from injury and suspension.

The big players used to run the 3-4 may be responsible for the rise of the HUNH.  Teams were forced to run around and wear down the big guys to be able to compete.  You have to have a mobile QB to run the HUNH I think.  Otherwise you just have a spread team that plays fast.

I still don't like it.  It makes all that coaching that you did scouting and teaching the defense pointless.

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I can say this as well, Alabama is still the team that can beat anybody. Due to talent and the experienced staff. They're still that one team on the schedule that everyone will ive their best game or say how do we not embarrass ourselves?

Problems or not, and no trash talk here, the Bama thorn is bigger in everyone else's side than the HUNH in theirs.

Let's play some damn football!

Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 11 August 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Let's play some damn football!

Posted Image

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHail2TheTide, on 11 August 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Deflect away?

"We'll find out who wins"

Will you the hype machine that is Hugh Freeze's Ole Miss Rebels keep saying every year until they finally beat Alabama?

I actually believed Ole Miss could give us a game last year but they sure as hell proved me wrong.

Worry about the other team in your state before you think about beating Alabama.

I don't even know what to do with this response it's so incredibly stupid and base. It's got nothing to do with Ole Miss versus Bama. The teams, conference, and division are completely coincidental; it's your team versus my team, whoever they are.

Really with this?

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What beats Bama is outstanding football teams. Bama has lost 9 games since 2007. Only one of them, 2010 SC, was to a team that did NOT win ELEVEN games. And they were the SEC East champion. Here are the 9 teams and their records:

2008 Florida: 13-1
2008 Utah: 13-0
2010 South Carolina: 9-5
2010 LSU: 11-2
2010 Auburn: 14-0
2011 LSU: 13-1
2012 Texas A&M: 11-2
2013 Auburn: 12-2
2013 Oklahoma: 11-2

Edited by ALA2262, 11 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA10Rebel, on 11 August 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

I don't even know what to do with this response it's so incredibly stupid and base. It's got nothing to do with Ole Miss versus Bama. The teams, conference, and division are completely coincidental; it's your team versus my team, whoever they are.

Really with this?

Your team is Ole Miss. My team is Alabama. You run a HUNH. We shut it down.

That is what Nick Saban said...

Then you said stop talking and line up and see who wins...

I pointed out that it already happened last year when OM played Alabama.
"It's all about a mindset at Alabama, either you buy into the program or you don't." - CJ Mosley

Posted Image

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

I AM AN OLE MISS REBEL!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHail2TheTide, on 11 August 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

I'm glad to see you enjoy last year so much.

Although it is tragic that we couldn't beat you bastards, it was enjoyable to see both Auburn and Oklahoma beat you, which according to most of the Bammers, makes last season totally worthless.

TIL: One Bama fan actually enjoyed last season, bc Bama beat Ole Miss.

(10) Ole Miss Rebels  3-0  (1-0)

Posted Image

View Postmsubulldogfan1, on 30 August 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

bear$ are legit.
Formerly known as FCNDawg

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHail2TheTide, on 11 August 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

hmmm...and yet we're still talking about it. It doesn't look like an issue to me unless someone chooses to make it one. Great you stopped the hunh, what's the problem? Why stlll bitch about it?

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostALA2262, on 11 August 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

What beats Bama is outstanding football teams. Bama has lost 9 games since 2007. Only one of them, 2010 SC, was to a team that did NOT win ELEVEN games. And they were the SEC East champion. Here are the 9 teams and their records:

I don't why people can't get this.....every hunh we have lost to, won an nc or heisman or both....the exceptions being SC, Oklahoma and Utah and two of those finished top 5 and SC won the SEC east...

So yeah, we had a problem that everyone had problems with

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostALA2262, on 11 August 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

A 9-4 A&M team put up more yards of total offense than has ever been allowed in the history of Alabama football.

Yes Bama still won, but this thread is about the troubles Bama has against the HUNH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users