Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Nick Saban fires back on subject of HUNH offenses..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
didn't put this in the trash talk section because I have no interest in trololing Bama fans this morning. It actually can be a serious topic, and I can see both sides. Like Nick Saban said it's not like the HUNH offenses are out there destroying Bama's D, but at the same time it's obviously the one they have the most trouble with.

http://espn.go.com/b...e/morning-links

Don’t call it a tirade, because it wasn’t. But when Nick Saban was asked on Saturday how he and the staff were preparing for hurry-up, no-huddle offenses, he didn’t exactly answer in kind.

“You know, in all honesty, guys, you all make way too much of this,” he said.

Oh, do tell.

“I mean, [Auburn] had 21 points against us with 30 seconds to go in the game, and I don’t think anybody held them to 21 points all year long,” Saban said. “I saw them score 60 in the SEC Championship Game, or whatever. We shut Ole Miss out here. We had four turnovers against Oklahoma that led to 28 points; two [touchdowns] the defense never even got back on the field.”

You know what that sounds like? Excuses.

Before you go ballistic, think about it. Did Alabama play all that poorly against HUNH offenses last season? Maybe not, compared to the rest of the country. But since when does Alabama compare itself to anyone? As Kirby Smart said prior to last season, “A lot of people think our standard is to be first in the SEC, be first in the country. ... We really don't go by that motto. We go by: Be the best Alabama defense there's been.”

From 2009-11, it seemed like no one could score on the Tide. Now, uptempo offenses are having some success poking holes in Alabama’s aura of invincibility. Are they big holes? Maybe not, but they are there nonetheless. Nearly 300 yards rushing by Auburn says so. Oklahoma throwing for 348 yards and four touchdowns says so. Texas A&M racking up 628 yards -- the most ever allowed by an Alabama defense -- says so, too.

When Saban said, “We make it out like we’re horrible when we play a (no-huddle) team,” his argument was essentially that the scheme is sound, the preparation is good, but that the tempo makes it difficult to implement because of the trouble communicating from the sideline. But that sounds like a distinction without a difference. If you study all week for an exam, bring the sharpest No. 2 pencils and then answer most of the questions incorrectly, you still fail.

“We need to improve on it,” Saban said of defending the HUNH. “But I think we need to improve on defense, period.”

Both are true. But what good is one without the other?

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Saban could say hes very happy that his daughter married an upstanding Christian man and everyone would write headlines that:

He hates gays because his daughter married a man
He hates all other religions because his daughters husband is Christian
He is going to Texas
And hes still crying over the HUNH.

Get the Posted Image over it. Just because Saban has to stones to admit when he doesn't like something doesn't mean it should be as blown up as it has.

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 3-1 (1-1)

Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 11 August 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

Saban could say hes very happy that his daughter married an upstanding Christian man and everyone would write headlines that:

He hates gays because his daughter married a man
He hates all other religions because his daughters husband is Christian
He is going to Texas
And hes still crying over the HUNH.

Get the :lanekiffin: over it. Just because Saban has to stones to admit when he doesn't like something doesn't mean it should be as blown up as it has.

Saying you don't like something and saying we should change the rules for some completely made up reason are two different things.

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
How about you play your football and we'll play ours and we'll see who ends up the winner? When you have the ball we try and stop you when we have the ball you try to stop us. Whoever stops the most wins? Stfu about how it's done.

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 11 August 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Saying you don't like something and saying we should change the rules for some completely made up reason are two different things.

They are, but you have to admit, when Saban says something not matter how insignificant, it gets blown outta the water.

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 3-1 (1-1)

Posted Image

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I agree with the article

It's still very very difficult to beat Alabama, but it doesn't seem as impossible as it once did
Posted Image

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA10Rebel, on 11 August 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

How about you play your football and we'll play ours and we'll see who ends up the winner? When you have the ball we try and stop you when we have the ball you try to stop us. Whoever stops the most wins? Stfu about how it's done.

Lol... I think we found out last year when the Rebs came to town...
The 2014 Alabama Football Revenge Tour:

West Virginia: W
Florida Atlantic: W
Southern Miss: W
Florida: W
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:
Texas A&M:
Tennessee:
LSU:
Mississippi State:
Western Carolina:

Auburn:

RodLovly

RodLovly

ehhhhh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Lol, trolls agree with trolls. Shocking.
Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He has already made adjustments.  Why else would Alabama have 19 linebackers on the roster?

Rashaan Evans     6-3 225  4.51
Christian Miller       6-4 215  4.52
Keith Holcombe      6-3 215  4.46

Adrian Hubbard      6-6 252  4.69

HUNH uses speed to burn big pro style linebackers outside with screens and sweeps.  It's a mismatch that has to be accounted for.  I watched teams run around Adrian Hubbard too many times last season.  I do think smaller linebackers and the 4-3 is the way to attack the HUNH.  I think you'll see SEC defenses evolve and do a better job in stopping them.  The real advantage of the HUNH seems to be to get 4-6 yards quickly on 1st down and keep yourself ahead of the chains.  You can continue to go hurry up or you can slow it down on 2nd and 4 and draw up something really nice.  Everybody likes 2nd and 4 - except defenses.

Posted Image

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

You do know that hunhs Take advantage of a recent rule change no?

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHail2TheTide, on 11 August 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

Lol... I think we found out last year when the Rebs came to town...

deflect away.

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think they should make a new rule that the team with the most points at the end of the game should automatically win
Posted Image
Formerly known as gatorhater

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

He didn't try to get a rule changed.....when the Ncaa  had a meeting on the subject, they asked Saban to come to the meeting and embellish on his comments on the hurry up from earlier in the season....his appearance before that committee per their request is what got every hater to start spewing misinformation

Edited by Haymaker, 11 August 2014 - 09:23 AM.

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
OMG...article trying to make Saban look bad.....

Posted Image
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA10Rebel, on 11 August 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

deflect away.

Deflect away?

"We'll find out who wins"

Will you the hype machine that is Hugh Freeze's Ole Miss Rebels keep saying every year until they finally beat Alabama?

I actually believed Ole Miss could give us a game last year but they sure as hell proved me wrong.

Worry about the other team in your state before you think about beating Alabama.
The 2014 Alabama Football Revenge Tour:

West Virginia: W
Florida Atlantic: W
Southern Miss: W
Florida: W
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:
Texas A&M:
Tennessee:
LSU:
Mississippi State:
Western Carolina: