Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

SEC expansion speculation, again.

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
215 replies to this topic

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 16 August 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

no, last year?
We made it to the national championship....and that's all I'll say good sir.

Posted Image

Gidnik

Gidnik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 16 August 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

We made it to the national championship....and that's all I'll say good sir.
no,in the regular season. what happened then?
Posted Image

machineguntiger

machineguntiger

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
only two realistic options are NC State & Virginia Tech. and we'll probably be waiting a long time on either,

UNC & Duke are a package deal you can't have one without the other same as Oklahoma & Oklahoma State.

UVA would probably come if invited but if they bolt the ACC for anyone it'd probably be the Big Ten.

Clemson. FSU. Louisville. Miami. & Georgia Tech won't come at all simply because of their rivals blackballing any admittance.

WVU would be in the same boat as UVA they'd probably come if invited but other than that they're probably stuck in the Big 12   .

SERDI

SERDI

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
First let me say that that I agree that Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina are going to block Louisville, Florida State, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Clemson from coming in and sharing their market.

Next since all of the ACC, SEC (including Sewanne, Tulane, and Georgia Tech) plus Virginia Military, Furman, Davidson, West Virginia, William & Mary, Richmond, VPI (Virginia Tech) etc. were in the Southern Conference, until after Coach K went to Duke, the I think many of the traditionalist would tell you that NC State over time has been a bigger rival to North Carolina than Duke.

I personally hate that South Carolina ever left the ACC.  I understand and remember the departure, and for many years it really hurt South Carolina.  The SEC resurrected Gamecock athletics, but, if you talk to the old timers, they still have heart string pulls to the ACC.  South Carolina is at least in the eastern time zone and southeast.  Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Missouri had no tie to the "Southern Conference" and therefore no tie at all to the original SEC that, which were the schools west of the Appalachians in the Southern Conference.  

I think the best fit to the "Southern Conference" footprint would be to bring in Virginia Tech and NC State. Both Land Grants both have good football in the modern era and both would enhance basketball.  They are competitive in everything else.  They are in the eastern time zone and are land grant institutions.  Currently with the shift to the west, only 5 of the 14 schools in the SEC are in the eastern time zone.

SERDI

SERDI

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 16 August 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

no,in the regular season. what happened then?

The regular season is meaningless in 2014 and beyond, in fact it has been, for that last 10 years anyway.  It is all about the NCAA tournament and playing for as high a seed as you can get or the committee will give you...at least that is what the elite programs in college basketball play for.  When you had to win the SEC regular season to go to the NCAA tournament, the regular season meant something.

Chainsaw Massaquoi

Chainsaw Massaquoi

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Joker, on 11 August 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

Enough with the Oklahoma, OSU, Southern Cal, etc, etc nonsense.

If it were my choice, I would choose two out of the following schools...

NC State - Major TV market. Bring lots of potential viewers. A football school in a basketball conference.

East Carolina - A good, solid competitor in football and baseball. Typical football school.

Virginia Tech - Another major TV market. (Part of the Washington DC market)

Western Kentucky - A small school inside the geographic footprint.

Central Florida - Nice TV market, competitive right at the beginning.

Dat East Carolina thoAttached File  image.jpg   6.54K   0 downloads