Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Power 5 Only Scheduling

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
ESPN polled Coaches at the ESPN carwash from the 5 power conferences about being able to schedule from the 5 power conferences only......

I like the idea.

http://espn.go.com/c...-only-schedules
Striker.jpg
#4 Oklahoma Sooners 45
WVU 33

#4 Oklahoma 4-0 (1-0) @ TCU 2-0 Oct 4th

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It will kill lower tier football. East Carolina and Boise st are a harder game than Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Kansa, Texas tech, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Rutgers, West Virginia, Maryland, virginia, and so on.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I do too.  Unfortunately coaches don't have a lot of say and the ADs like those guaranteed cash cow easy wins over SunBelt teams, probably much too much for this to pass.  Also what else are the coaches going to say?  I'm surprised any went on the record against the idea.

GamecockDieHard

GamecockDieHard
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Also, some games are purely political.  We play one or two schools in our state a year to help their program financially.  SC State for example, barely makes budget.  A lot of the smaller schools like Wofford, Furman, Citadel, etc... have big time Gamecock boosters that may have done undergrad work at these smaller schools.  We don't do it as much as we did, but you'd have a hard time taking them away completely, I think.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I didnt think about Tulsa. They would hurt from not getting to play Oklahoma or Oklahoma State every year or every other year.
Striker.jpg
#4 Oklahoma Sooners 45
WVU 33

#4 Oklahoma 4-0 (1-0) @ TCU 2-0 Oct 4th

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've been thinking about it and came up with this solution....

I agree some schools need to get their sh!t together and schedule better games, but I'm against rules saying a team can only schedule OOC games from the other power conferences. For example SC plays 8 conference games, clemson(actually a state law that the two play every year), usually a team from NC(UNC, NC State, or ECU), a cupcake and an FCS school from instate. And we usually rotate the instate FCS school, which drastically increases their revenue and in turn helps people in the state. I think it would be unfair to take that money away...or at least take away the option of schools to do that.

I'd say make an exception for FCS schools if they're instate(so big time programs help keep some of that money instate), and only allow teams to schedule one/year. Also say that no more than 2 OOC games total can come against non power 5 conference teams. So you can still help the small schools, but at the same time teams can't load up on cupcakes any given year. And that fixes the whole "make conferences play 9 conference games." If a conference wants to then fine, and they only have to go find one power 5 conference school to play every year. If a conference wants to stay at 8 they can, but they'll have to find two legit OOC games to play. Small schools still get money, schedules are more equal across the board, and the fans get better games. Win, win, win.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Not sure ow other Kentuckians feel about it, but I'm in favor of it and so is Coach Stoops.  I'd like to see us bring back the Indiana series, keep Louisville, rotate between WKU and EKU coming here each season and leaving that last slot open for home and homes, or if we go to 9 SEC games then that's that.
Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 07 August 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

Not sure ow other Kentuckians feel about it, but I'm in favor of it and so is Coach Stoops.  I'd like to see us bring back the Indiana series, keep Louisville, rotate between WKU and EKU coming here each season and leaving that last slot open for home and homes, or if we go to 9 SEC games then that's that.

How can you be in favor of it but still want to play eastern and western kentucky?

BulldawgFan

BulldawgFan

Merlinistic Point of View

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 07 August 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

How can you be in favor of it but still want to play eastern and western kentucky?

He said rotate so it would be one or the other each year. Matches your keeping the money in state requirement.
Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBulldawgFan, on 07 August 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

He said rotate so it would be one or the other each year. Matches your keeping the money in state requirement.

Ok...that makes sense. I thought he was saying he agreed with it as in "it" referring to the "only play from power 5 conferences".

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If it's going to come to this they need to realign into five 13 team conferences, playing a complete 12 game round robin schedule in each conference.There are 65 teams with ND. ND would have to get in or go Posted Image themselves. Top 4 ranked conference champions in the CFP. No silly ass rule for ND. No silly ass CCGs. Money would be so big on something like that they wouldn't need them. And the conference that got left out of the CFP wouldn't give a Posted Image. Just say wait'l next year and cry all the way to the bank.

Edited by ALA2262, 07 August 2014 - 07:09 PM.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Of course espn fox cbs are pushing this. They want ratings and will step on the little guys to get their way
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Of course espn fox cbs are pushing this. They want ratings and will step on the little guys to get their way
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostALA2262, on 07 August 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

If it's going to come to this they need to realign into five 13 team conferences, playing a complete 12 game round robin schedule in each conference.There are 65 teams with ND. ND would have to get in or go :lanekiffin: themselves. Top 4 ranked conference champions in the CFP. No silly ass rule for ND. No silly ass CCGs. Money would be so big on something like that they wouldn't need them. And the conference that got left out of the CFP wouldn't give a Posted Image. Just say wait'l next year and cry all the way to the bank.

Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Espn wants us to be nfl lite
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users