Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Missouri Soph. WR Levi Copelin suspended for 2014 season

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The Missouri Tigers’ war of attrition at wide receiver continues.

Sophomore Levi Copelin has been suspended for the 2014 campaign due to taking a banned substance.

Here is his quote: “The reason I am suspended is that I recently bought an over-the-counter nutritional supplement from a local store, and used it as part of my workout routine,” Copelin said in a statement released by the schoool. “Unfortunately, I used it without clearing it with my strength coaches or trainers. This supplement is legal and available to the public, but it isn’t approved by the NCAA, and as a result of using it, I failed an NCAA drug test. This was a stupid mistake on my part, and I’m very sorry that I put myself and my team in this situation. This is a hard lesson to learn, as I never had the wrong intentions. I also understand there aren’t any shortcuts to success. There’s nothing I can do except dedicate myself to representing me, my family, my team, and Mizzou the right way going forward. I’m very grateful to my coaches and my teammates for giving me a chance to overcome this.”

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Pretty harsh punishment.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm afraid that our lack of depth at receiver is going to hurt us this year.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Stupid mistake on his part, according to Pinkel, the whole team knew to check with the S&C coach to see what supplements are allowed but a full year suspension for such a minor offense is ridiculous.

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If only it had been something more minor like an illegal drug instead of OTC supplements he might have just gotten a few games as a suspension instead of the whole season.
Posted Image

Pork Rinds

Pork Rinds

Boared Cynic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This is harsh. It's not a stereroid injection.
Posted Image
Formerly known as Pork Rinds

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
That's worse than honey badger got for failing like three drug test. Seems harsh but the kid had to know
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 29 July 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

I'm afraid that our lack of depth at receiver is going to hurt us this year.

He was passed up on the depth chart by otte a walk-on so I'm not really all that concerned but we definitely can't afford to lose anyone else at this point.
Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Probably just a pre workout supplement. Definitely not something that's gonna you an unfair advantage over anyone...but we're talking about the NCAA. The same people who made that UGA kid sit out for years because his blood levels wouldn't return to normal after shots he got in high school.

The Joker

The Joker

Let's put a smile on that face.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think there is a possibility that it wasn't a harmless nutritional supplement he was taking. The links below are the official drug policy and the list of banned substances. It's pretty concise.

http://www.ncaa.org/...ook 2014-15.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/...aa-banned-drugs

Another one in detail.

http://www.drugfrees...ec/rec-home.asp

Login: NCAA Div I.
Password: ncaa1

Edited by The Joker, 30 July 2014 - 04:40 AM.

Blu-ray Disc Movie Collection: 927
Newest Purchase: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Gov. Gary Johnson for President in 2016

"Honor the vision of your founders, and respect the most sublime Constitution devised by human intelligence." - Daniel Hannan - British Member Of Parliament.

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzouMark, on 30 July 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

He was passed up on the depth chart by otte a walk-on so I'm not really all that concerned but we definitely can't afford to lose anyone else at this point.
I know Otte was ahead of him but our depth at receiver just keeps shrinking and shrinking. I'm afraid that we could suffer an injury or something and it would really hurt us.

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Joker, on 30 July 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

I think there is a possibility that it wasn't a harmless nutritional supplement he was taking. The links below are the official drug policy and the list of banned substances. It's pretty concise.

http://www.ncaa.org/...ook 2014-15.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/...aa-banned-drugs

Another one in detail.

http://www.drugfrees...ec/rec-home.asp

Login: NCAA Div I.
Password: ncaa1

From your own links:

• Dietary supplements are not well regulated and may cause a positive drug test result.
  • Student-athletes have tested positive and lost their eligibility using dietary supplements.
  • Many dietary supplements are contaminated with banned drugs not listed on the label.
  • Any product containing a dietary supplement ingredient is taken at your own risk.

Posted Image

The Joker

The Joker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzouMark, on 30 July 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

From your own links:
  • Dietary supplements are not well regulated and may cause a positive drug test result.
  • Student-athletes have tested positive and lost their eligibility using dietary supplements.
  • Many dietary supplements are contaminated with banned drugs not listed on the label.
  • Any product containing a dietary supplement ingredient is taken at your own risk.

I did NOT say he was using "roids" or anything of the like. I just said that he may have possibly been using something other than dietary supplements.

While the NCAA also refuses to have an all inclusive list as to banned substances, it's not out of the realm that this guy wasn't trying to "beat the system". The list that it does include is well documented and notice the term "MAY" is used quite a bit. The links don't say that the supplements "Will" cause a positive, but "May" cause a positive.

This is called "Legal Speak" for a reason. It attempts to absolve the NCAA of liability.

"Honor the vision of your founders, and respect the most sublime Constitution devised by human intelligence." - Daniel Hannan - British Member Of Parliament.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Seems like a harsh punishment for failing due to an OTC supplement. I would assume this isn't the first drug test he has failed, just the first one the public has heard about.
Perine.jpg
Samaje Perine - NCAA Single Game Record 427 Rushing Yards

#21 Oklahoma 8-3 (5-3) vs Oklahoma State 5-6 (3-5) Dec 6th

The Joker

The Joker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBlackSheep 171, on 30 July 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

Seems like a harsh punishment for failing due to an OTC supplement. I would assume this isn't the first drug test he has failed, just the first one the public has heard about.

EXACTLY!!!

Now this guy gets suspended for the year? For one positive test? That's what I'm implying. Something isn't jiving here.

Edited by The Joker, 30 July 2014 - 07:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users