Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

playoff final four projection?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hundley is still at UCLA.
tOSU is going to have a nasty D-Line this year.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Ohio St
Alabama
Oklahoma
Florida State

Sterling.jpg

#18 Oklahoma 5-2 (2-2) vs Iowa State 2-4 (0-3) Nov 1st

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 30 July 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Do you think the committee would take an 11-1 Big 12 winner over a 12-1 winner of any of the other Power 5 conferences?

Not only depends on who holds the 11-1 record, as Joe said, but would probably depend also on who the 1 was. If the 1 is also 11-1, then it would be looked on a lot different than if the 1 was 6-7. As was 2011 OSU's 11-1 because the 1 was 6-7 Iowa state.

I would like to think someone on the committee had the balls to tell Lusk (or Condi Rice busted his balls) that a team that lost to a 6-7 team didn't deserve to play for the NC. I am referring to Lusk because he is the one on record as saying the Big 12 champion will be treated the same as any other conference champion.

Edited by ALA2262, 30 July 2014 - 10:43 AM.

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've got $50 that says that no team makes the playoff undefeated.
After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah
Formerly known as Noah.Dreams

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNoah, on 30 July 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

I would but that's my fantasy football money. Lol

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 5-1 (3-1)

Posted Image

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostALA2262, on 30 July 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

Why is it absurd? They play a complete nine game round robin schedule. If they have an undefeated team, that team will have beaten every team in the conference, and will be the undisputed champion.

I agree. Also the Big 12 plays some of the games they think will decide the conference the same week as the conference championship games. It wasnt a championship game last season but Bedlam was played on the same day as the conference title games and it did decide who won the Big 12 last year. It would hurt more if the conference was decided the week before, then the Big 12 would largely be forgotten on conference championship day.
Sterling.jpg

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNoah, on 30 July 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

I hope you bank with Suntrust so the transfer will be easy.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 30 July 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Do you think the committee would take an 11-1 Big 12 winner over a 12-1 winner of any of the other Power 5 conferences?

I think if its OU or Texas they will take them. If its Baylor, Oklahoma State or Kansas State they have less of a chance. No one will admit it, but I think the name still helps in this situation. Also depends on who the conference winner is, say Pac-12 or ACC and how tough their schedule was.
Sterling.jpg

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
All this talk now shows me bowl games are now more important than getting next year preseason love. Now they mean next year conference power ranking love. You best not start the season with folks saying your conference is down. If that does happen the only way to off set that talk is to play ooc games with power conferences during the season and win the games. Now you can see why the sec and acc did the right thing to be sure everybody plays at least one of those ooc games. Playing only in your conference would not rid the stigma of a weak conference.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Speaking of bowl games we still don't play on a level surface when our #5 in conference has to play a #2 from another power conference. The cotton bowl reminds me of that. Of course the last time the big 12 won it mizzou won. Where are they now?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 30 July 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

All this talk now shows me bowl games are now more important than getting next year preseason love. Now they mean next year conference power ranking love. You best not start the season with folks saying your conference is down. If that does happen the only way to off set that talk is to play ooc games with power conferences during the season and win the games. Now you can see why the sec and acc did the right thing to be sure everybody plays at least one of those ooc games. Playing only in your conference would not rid the stigma of a weak conference.

I hope a strong OOC schedule is a cure. Thats better for college football. Everyone would rather watch LSU vs Wisconsin than LSU vs Sam Houston State. I think every good team should have 1 tough non-conference game on their schedule. If they schedule it right, we should have high profile games every week.

I think OU has done a great job at this. Tennessee this year and next and future schedules with LSU, OSU, Nebraska, Michigan and UCLA.
Sterling.jpg

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 30 July 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Speaking of bowl games we still don't play on a level surface when our #5 in conference has to play a #2 from another power conference. The cotton bowl reminds me of that. Of course the last time the big 12 won it mizzou won. Where are they now?

They are looking for eligible WR's for this season.
Sterling.jpg

UAdan

UAdan

Puke, inside-of-a-pumpkin orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostALA2262, on 30 July 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

Why is it absurd? They play a complete nine game round robin schedule. If they have an undefeated team, that team will have beaten every team in the conference, and will be the undisputed champion.

Representatives from the SEC, Big Ten, ACC and Pac 12 will have to have played a 13th game in their conference championship. Consider which teams end up playing for the conference championships. The opponents would likely be ranked in the top 20 or at least top 25. The Big 12 champ doesn't have to play such a game.

Say for example that a team like Alabama or Auburn were to be undefeated at the end of the regular season. Who would they play in Atlanta? Probably a team like South Carolina, Florida or Georgia. All teams that would/could definitely be ranked - possibly as high as the top 10 - if they make it to the SECCG.

Or look at the Pac 12. Let's say Oregon/Stanford is in position. They'd likely face a team like UCLA or Arizona State in the Pac 12 title game. Or the Big Ten...Michigan State/Ohio State would have to face a Wisconsin/Iowa.

Your argument basically says that the Big 12 should get a free pass simply because their conference has fewer teams. Who cares if they have to beat the same team twice to win the conference? It's not like that hasn't happened in the SEC (or other conferences) before.

If we're judging all the conferences equally and using conference championships as a basis for that discussion, then why should OU (or any Big 12 team) be held in the same regard as an SEC Champ or a Pac 12 Champ that had to play a 13th game against a legit top 10-20 team?

Blake "The Snake" Sims

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

6-1 (3-1)

Next Game: @ Tennessee Volunteers

Knoxville, Tennessee

Neyland Stadium

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I get what you're saying but hasn't the Big12 been screwed before by the championship game?

Conferences are forced into a championship game because there are too many teams.

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 30 July 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

I certainly hope that Bama takes the consolation Bowls more serious in the future. I know of at least 4 Bowls in my lifetime that Bama has mailed in. The last two may be debatable as to whether or not they did, but there is no question about the first two.

In 1968 Bama played MO in the Gator Bowl on 12/28. On 12/10/1968 Pat Trammell, QB and captain of the 1961 NC team, died. Pat Trammell was the most beloved, by him, player that Coach Bryant ever had. Loved him as a Son. Said that 12/10/1968 was the saddest day in his life. Paul Bryant could have cared less about playing in the Gator Bowl 18 days later.

In 1990, Gene Stallings mailed in the Fiesta Bowl against Louisville and he and the coaches went recruiting. That decision led to the 1992 NC, and to the current dead period in recruiting during Bowl season.

The last two, Utah and Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl(s) are, as I said, debatable.