Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

NCAA Playoffs - how it should be

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Thank god we finally have a playoff, a big step in the right direction.

The new system is better than what we had, but it needs to be 8 teams

5 - power 5 conference winners

oh, but a conference winner might have 3 or 4 losses...

So the Posted Image what, if a 7 - 9 NFL team can make the playoffs as a division winner, a 9 - 5 ACC conference winner can be an AQ for the playoffs.

THEN take the best 3 available teams.

Seed the teams 1 through 8 and BOOM

perfect playoffs
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The best way would be use the BCS metric, then take the top 4 or 8 and do the playoff.
The 2014 Alabama Football Revenge Tour:

West Virginia: W
Florida Atlantic: W
Southern Miss: W
Florida: W
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:
Texas A&M:
Tennessee:
LSU:
Mississippi State:
Western Carolina:

Auburn:

The Cowboy

The Cowboy
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
4 teams is an awkward number, especially considering there are five conferences- you are guaranteed to leave out a major conference champion, and there are plenty of plausible scenarios in which only 2-3 of the 5 conferences would be represented in the playoffs.

Edited by The Cowboy, 19 July 2014 - 11:59 PM.

thedruebanks

thedruebanks
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Everyone with at least 6 wins is in the playoffs.... extend college football !!!

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This system sure isn't this way to help the SEC its to give everyone a chance. Take year before last for example its messed up in this playoff a team like UGA wouldn't get in although they were clearly one of the best 2 or 3. I don't see two teams from the same conference in whether they deserve it or not.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 20 July 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

This system sure isn't this way to help the SEC its to give everyone a chance. Take year before last for example its messed up in this playoff a team like UGA wouldn't get in although they were clearly one of the best 2 or 3. I don't see two teams from the same conference in whether they deserve it or not.

Bama and LSU would both get in during 2011, but I do think that would be rare.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 20 July 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

UGA wasn't a top two or three team that year. Plus UF would've gotten in, and if I remember correctly they were 4th so they would've played notre dame. But they a probably would've put them as a three seed to make them play Bama and avoid another all SEC championship game.

I agree with dcbl though. 8 teams is the way to go. But just make sure that you don't automatically give the conference winners the top 5 seeds. That will help to make sure each college football game is as important as possible(which is one of my favorite things about the sport). If the big 12 champ has 2-3 losses then put them as the 8 seed and make them play #1.

I'm sure we're moving towards an 8 team playoff, but we have to wait for a few teams and/or conferences to get screwed first so that there is a big push for it.

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Conference champs don't get the top 5 seeds, they just get in

Top team gets the number one seed

let's say that an 11 - 1 Bama misses the playoffs, their only loss being to an 11 - 1 Auburn

Auburn's only loss is to a 10 - 2 Georgia

In that scenario - UGA & Aubbie play a rematch for the SEC Championship and bama, misses the game but MIGHT be the number one seed in the playoffs
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
You can't extend the college football season per NCAA, and this would def extend it. Take out the space between end of season and bowls? Then you lose the extra practice time. There's not a clear cut solution to be had. BCS isn't perfect, this new playoff isn't perfect, but it's better than what we've had before.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostnooneLT, on 20 July 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

You can't extend the college football season per NCAA, and this would def extend it. Take out the space between end of season and bowls? Then you lose the extra practice time. There's not a clear cut solution to be had.

Yes there is. Tell the NCAA to kiss our d!cks.

The Joker

The Joker

Let's put a smile on that face.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 20 July 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

Yes there is. Tell the NCAA to kiss our d!cks.

I agree with Cocky here.

The SEC could leave the NCAA and sort of create their own football league and still succeed by a large margin.
Posted Image

Blu-ray Disc Movie Collection: 906
Newest Purchase: Oculus

"Honor the vision of your founders, and respect the most sublime Constitution devised by human intelligence." - Daniel Hannan - British Member Of Parliament.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Joker, on 20 July 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

I agree with Cocky here.

The SEC could leave the NCAA and sort of create their own football league and still succeed by a large margin.

Sounded like a good idea back in the 1860's too
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

The Joker

The Joker

Let's put a smile on that face.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 20 July 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Sounded like a good idea back in the 1860's too

I'm trying to be serious here. The SEC is one of the largest, most popular brands. Given the attendance records of the SEC, television contracts, etc, you don't think they could go and do it on their own?
Posted Image

Blu-ray Disc Movie Collection: 906
Newest Purchase: Oculus

"Honor the vision of your founders, and respect the most sublime Constitution devised by human intelligence." - Daniel Hannan - British Member Of Parliament.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Joker, on 20 July 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

I'm trying to be serious here. The SEC is one of the largest, most popular brands. Given the attendance records of the SEC, television contracts, etc, you don't think they could go and do it on their own?

Not without the other power conferences. We can't just play each other all the time, and if we break off we wouldn't be able to play the other teams or be eligible for the playoffs.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Gonna turn into the same pussy ass whining that gave us 68 tourney games. Scale it back to 32 and no more than 8 in football.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users