Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.


Latest Topics



Latest News

Top Bettors


Top High Fived



just saw a couple of stories (all sourcing SOS jr) about SCs recruiting class

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,950
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,633
Saying a third of last years recruiting class is likely not to get in? Including much needed DB help they were counting on. Looking at some of last year's SC games it looked like they were (being polite) lacking at LB and DB and the idea of playing warm bodies in the backfield (unheralded freshman and a former walk on) just doesn't strike me as a way to fix those issues and that got me looking and thinking.

Most preseason services and its this board's consensus is that SC is a top 10 and SEC favorite but with a sorta new QB and holes on D what are people seeing that I am missing? Yes Mike Davis is a top shelf RB and yes the OLine could be very good if everyone stays healthy but none of the WRs are No1 type guys (none over 6 feet an none over 200 pounds) and an injury to the OLine or Davis brings them back to earth quickly. Spurrier is a half step away from being granny Holtz level bat Posted Image crazy and a liability. No one can expect much out of SCs D this year. The DTs should be better than average but everything else looks questionable at this point. The play makers are gone and the heart and soul on O left with Shaw.

So what am I missing? What makes this a top 10 squad? And how in the hell can a third of a recruiting class not make it on campus? SC tends to sign and place a ton of guys but 1/3 of a class seems like it would hurt you in a year or 2.


I didn't put this in trash talk because I hope I am just overlooking something and some on here can clarify it for me. If it turns ugly just move it to trash talk.

Posted Image


#2
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,527
  • Age:
    32
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    13,869
lol....doesn't want trash talk. Says Spurrier is half a step away from being on Lou Holtz' level. Yeahok.


http://collegefootba...ay-not-qualify/


We already knew some probably wouldn't get in, but this is more than expected(obviously).


As far as your question about whether SC is legit..we'll have to see how our D-line comes together. We'll have a great O-line and one of the best backs in the country. Plus we have depth at the RB spot. We also have a QB who has shown flashes of potential who'll have lots of weapons as well as talented back ups. Shaq Roland started coming around last year as a WR. I fully expect to have lots of WR weapons...we have every year Spurrier has been here. Lost Sidney Rice and people said we'd drop off. Kenny McKinley stepped up. Lost him Alshon Jeffery stepped up. Lost him Ace Sanders stepped up. Lost him Bruce Ellington stepped up. Expect Shaq Roland and Pharoh Cooper to have good years. We also have a legit NFL TE, along with depth at that position. We lose Shaw and Ellington on offense but that's it(although those are admittedly big losses).


Defense will come down how well our D-line comes around. Our LBs were 10x better at the end of last season, and looked really really good. We're good to go at that position. Secondary should be pretty good. The D-line worries me. For years it's pretty much been like the WR spot, we'd just plug holes after players graduated or declared and not miss a beat. But with a decent loss of talent it'll be interesting to see. Luckily the people stepping up are all upper classmen who've had time in the weight room and plenty of time to learn the scheme. We also have a great DC.


I think we can take care of A&M. If not there will still be hope, but we'll have to learn a lot in week 2 before UGA comes to town. If our D-line can slown down Gurley and Co. when they come to Columbia we'll be ready for any rushing attack we'll see in 2014. If not there's still plenty of room for improvement as our schedule gets a little easier for a few weeks. If we lose 2 of the first three it'll almost certainly be a disappointing season. If we lose one of the first three we'll have a chance to compete for the East as long as the squad continues to improve and doesn't get too banged up. If we win the first three we'll be in the drivers seat for a shot at ATL and beyond.

#3
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,950
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,633

View Postcocky4ever, on 12 July 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

lol....doesn't want trash talk. Says Spurrier is half a step away from being on Lou Holtz' level. Yeahok.


http://collegefootba...ay-not-qualify/


We already knew some probably wouldn't get in, but this is more than expected(obviously).


As far as your question about whether SC is legit..we'll have to see how our D-line comes together. We'll have a great O-line and one of the best backs in the country. Plus we have depth at the RB spot. We also have a QB who has shown flashes of potential who'll have lots of weapons as well as talented back ups. Shaq Roland started coming around last year as a WR. I fully expect to have lots of WR weapons...we have every year Spurrier has been here. Lost Sidney Rice and people said we'd drop off. Kenny McKinley stepped up. Lost him Alshon Jeffery stepped up. Lost him Ace Sanders stepped up. Lost him Bruce Ellington stepped up. Expect Shaq Roland and Pharoh Cooper to have good years. We also have a legit NFL TE, along with depth at that position. We lose Shaw and Ellington on offense but that's it(although those are admittedly big losses).


Defense will come down how well our D-line comes around. Our LBs were 10x better at the end of last season, and looked really really good. We're good to go at that position. Secondary should be pretty good. The D-line worries me. For years it's pretty much been like the WR spot, we'd just plug holes after players graduated or declared and not miss a beat. But with a decent loss of talent it'll be interesting to see. Luckily the people stepping up are all upper classmen who've had time in the weight room and plenty of time to learn the scheme. We also have a great DC.


I think we can take care of A&M. If not there will still be hope, but we'll have to learn a lot in week 2 before UGA comes to town. If our D-line can slown down Gurley and Co. when they come to Columbia we'll be ready for any rushing attack we'll see in 2014. If not there's still plenty of room for improvement as our schedule gets a little easier for a few weeks. If we lose 2 of the first three it'll almost certainly be a disappointing season. If we lose one of the first three we'll have a chance to compete for the East as long as the squad continues to improve and doesn't get too banged up. If we win the first three we'll be in the drivers seat for a shot at ATL and beyond.

SOS on and off the field is fading fast, time marches on and while in his prime when he didn't have to recruit he was one of the bes.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect SC to win 7-9 games this year if for no other reason than how bad the east will be again. But is it one of the top 10 in the country good?

Posted Image


#4
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,527
  • Age:
    32
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    13,869

View Postsmokeyone, on 12 July 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

SOS on and off the field is fading fast, time marches on and while in his prime when he didn't have to recruit he was one of the bes.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect SC to win 7-9 games this year if for no other reason than how bad the east will be again. But is it one of the top 10 in the country good?

He has one of the best programs in the country of the last 4 years at SOUTH CAROLINA...not sure how much more you can expect from a coach.

#5
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,950
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,633

View Postcocky4ever, on 12 July 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

He has one of the best programs in the country of the last 4 years at SOUTH CAROLINA...not sure how much more you can expect from a coach.

OK, cool. He doesn't randomly lose his mind in games or interviews. You win.

Posted Image


#6
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,527
  • Age:
    32
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    13,869

View Postsmokeyone, on 12 July 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

OK, cool. He doesn't randomly lose his mind in games or interviews. You win.

Posted Image

#7
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,950
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,633

View Postcocky4ever, on 12 July 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

The difference being when Jones talks to a ref its not to ask what all these people are doing on his fairway.

Posted Image


#8
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,527
  • Age:
    32
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    13,869

View Postsmokeyone, on 12 July 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

The difference being when Jones talks to a ref its not to ask what all these people are doing on his fairway.

And yet every year for the past three seasons Spurrier has won more games than Jones has ever managed to win in a single season.

#9
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,950
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,633

View Postcocky4ever, on 12 July 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

And yet every year for the past three seasons Spurrier has won more games than Jones has ever managed to win in a single season.

Its funny because its not true,

CMU 2009 11-2 HC BUTCH JONES.

Suck my Vols

Posted Image


#10
TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

    United We Stand

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    7,748
  • Age:
    34
  • Joined:
    Jun 2005
  • Cash:
    2,300
  • High Fives:
    5,318
Per twitter -- @BDunnsports: Dillion FB coach Jackie Hayes has confirmed that Joe Blue has qualified & passed the NCAA clearinghouse. Will be at @GamecockFB for camp.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

  

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.


Posted Image


#11
TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

    United We Stand

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    7,748
  • Age:
    34
  • Joined:
    Jun 2005
  • Cash:
    2,300
  • High Fives:
    5,318
From Gamecockcentral.com:

To give some clarity to our subscribers, the aforementioned holdup we mentioned in the past with signees Wesley Green and Chris Lammons having more work to do was that each has to retake the ACT. From time to time, test results can be flagged if there are discrepancies between more than one test score (say, a big improvement). July 11 has been the date for the test there, so that's what everyone is waiting on. Once those results are known, then it will go to the NCAA Eligibility Center/USC admissions. The scores will basically need to be at a certain level. As I mentioned in our last update on this, USC feels that both will ultimately make it but of course that definitely depends on how this plays out going forward.

Also according to sources, signee Darin Smalls will also need to retake the ACT for similar reasons although unlike Green and Lammons who are taking it today, Smalls is not taking it today. I haven't heard a date for him and obviously he will need to have it taken and the results cleared before the deadline to get to USC this fall if he's to make it.

The only other bubble guy at this point, Joe Blue, is expected to be able to enroll without issue on July 31, from what I'm told.

While I don't have any official word on Dexter Wideman, I still would lean towards him spending a semester at prep school (although that's not for certain either). I checked on that situation recently and didn't pick up anything that made me feel any better about his chances of making it in this fall.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

  

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.


Posted Image


#12
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,950
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,633

View PostTrueGCFan, on 12 July 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

From Gamecockcentral.com:

To give some clarity to our subscribers, the aforementioned holdup we mentioned in the past with signees Wesley Green and Chris Lammons having more work to do was that each has to retake the ACT. From time to time, test results can be flagged if there are discrepancies between more than one test score (say, a big improvement). July 11 has been the date for the test there, so that's what everyone is waiting on. Once those results are known, then it will go to the NCAA Eligibility Center/USC admissions. The scores will basically need to be at a certain level. As I mentioned in our last update on this, USC feels that both will ultimately make it but of course that definitely depends on how this plays out going forward.

Also according to sources, signee Darin Smalls will also need to retake the ACT for similar reasons although unlike Green and Lammons who are taking it today, Smalls is not taking it today. I haven't heard a date for him and obviously he will need to have it taken and the results cleared before the deadline to get to USC this fall if he's to make it.

The only other bubble guy at this point, Joe Blue, is expected to be able to enroll without issue on July 31, from what I'm told.

While I don't have any official word on Dexter Wideman, I still would lean towards him spending a semester at prep school (although that's not for certain either). I checked on that situation recently and didn't pick up anything that made me feel any better about his chances of making it in this fall.

So three were flagged for ACT scores? And 1 is cleared for the fall. That leaves 5 to figure out. Not getting in for summer will hurt the 2 expected to contribute early.

Posted Image


#13
TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

    United We Stand

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    7,748
  • Age:
    34
  • Joined:
    Jun 2005
  • Cash:
    2,300
  • High Fives:
    5,318

View Postsmokeyone, on 12 July 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:



So three were flagged for ACT scores? And 1 is cleared for the fall. That leaves 5 to figure out. Not getting in for summer will hurt the 2 expected to contribute early.

CB is the only real concern we have for next year. All of those guys are expected to make it. But we will see. Our coaches have a history of making the right call with borderline academic guys. So I'm not worried about them.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

  

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.


Posted Image


#14
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,527
  • Age:
    32
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    13,869

View Postsmokeyone, on 12 July 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:



So three were flagged for ACT scores? And 1 is cleared for the fall. That leaves 5 to figure out. Not getting in for summer will hurt the 2 expected to contribute early.

2 have already announced they're heading to JUCO...or did you even read the link I supplied??


But we get it. You've already convinced yourself that UGA will finish with a losing record, Vandy will lose to umass, and UF will be as bad as last year. Now if you can just figure out a way to say that SC is in trouble you can convince yourself that UT has a chance. I guess if you can't convince yourself that UT will be good then convincing yourself that everyone else in the division sucks just as bad is the next best thing.

#15
PuddingTime

PuddingTime

    Stoops Does Work

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    40,601
  • Age:
    31
  • Joined:
    Oct 2006
  • Location:
    Lexington, KY
  • Cash:
    2,000
  • High Fives:
    10,378
USC following the UNC academic plan eh? :trollface:
Posted Image






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users