SEC Pushing for More Freedom From NCAA - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

SEC Pushing for More Freedom From NCAA

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Via: http://espn.go.com/c...ic-sec-meetings

HOOVER, Ala. -- Autonomy has become a hot topic among commissioners of the five biggest football conferences.
SEC commissioner Mike Slive, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany all said Wednesday during interviews with The Associated Press that they want to ensure the biggest football conferences can decide how their own legislative process works in many areas affecting their athletes. The NCAA board of directors is expected to vote on a restructuring in early August.

The current proposal would require a two-thirds vote by the 65 schools at those power leagues to pass legislation. Slive said that threshold and the interpretation of that legislation are concerns for the SEC, but didn't discuss specific changes.

"Our presidents and chancellors have unanimously supported this effort to create autonomy in these areas that are related to student-athletes, so I anticipate that we will continue to support it," Slive said Wednesday in an interview with The Associated Press. "And I do anticipate that we will also want to see that the proposed model is modified so that that autonomy really means autonomy, that the five conferences can determine how their own legislative process will work.

"This isn't about five commissioners, this is about 65 institutions and their presidents. I'm optimistic that these changes will occur and that we will be able to fully support the model going forward."

The SEC's spring meetings are next week in Destin, Florida, and convene without hot-button issues like expansion and football scheduling to worry about. That leaves plenty of time for the bid for autonomy by the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC.

They're seeking decision-making powers in funding the full cost of scholarships, handling health care and other areas involving their athletes.
Other changes under consideration include providing money for families to travel to NCAA tournaments, more resources for academic and career counseling and creating mandatory break times from sports and overhauling transfer rules.

Scott and Delany spoke out on the topic Wednesday during an event in downtown San Francisco to promote the bowl game at the new San Francisco 49ers stadium.

Scott says there is "broad support" to let schools from the five major conference decide how their own legislative process works in many areas affecting their athletes. Delany said, "I hope we can develop some momentum and act, and act in a way that maybe we haven't been able to act over the last 25 years."

Pac-12 university presidents sent a letter to the other 53 presidents at the five conferences last week formalizing their proposals for sweeping changes that appear to be in line with what their major-conference peers have been supporting.

Slive is adamant about the need to consider overhauling the transfer rules, though he declined to discuss specific changes.
"Clearly it's time for us to have serious conversations about the transfer rule and how it applies," Slive said. "I anticipate that there'll be some spirited conversation about that once we get the autonomy to deal with that.

"We have been dealing with areas that we believe need to be addressed. We have not gotten into any more detail about that."
SEC football coaches who tout their offseason conditioning programs and the voluntary summer workouts that typically draw pretty close to 100-percent participation might be especially interested in the prospect of more limitations on the sports-related demands on athletes in and out of season.

"Every conversation that we have at spring meetings is interesting and spirited," Slive said. "Clearly, everyone has interest in what we're thinking about but the focus is on the student-athlete for the 21st century, so we'll start from there."

The PAC-12 letter also suggested revisiting the idea of making freshmen ineligible in men's basketball, where players can turn pro after one season.

Slive said that topic comes up occasionally "but it's not on any agenda that I'm aware of."

Edited by TrueGCFan, 22 May 2014 - 09:24 AM.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm all for it.  There is a major difference between SEC, PAC 12 etc...and Conference USA.

There should be different rules.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
surprise surprise the secession starts in the South....

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We said we'd rise again, we just didn't say why or in what capacity.
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Image the NCAA
"It's all about a mindset at Alabama, either you buy into the program or you don't." - CJ Mosley

Posted Image

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Closer to pay for play?
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 22 May 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

Closer to pay for play?

That is how it is looking, imo....
Posted Image

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 22 May 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

Closer to pay for play?
I hope so, the players and their families deserve it!
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 22 May 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

I hope so, the players and their families deserve it!

It could be a good thing and could be bad depends on how its set up. Most believe the system we have now is trying to be beat to give teams advantage over others already. How you gonna like it when the Bamas, Texas, and Notre Dames of the world buy the best players because they have the most money?
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 22 May 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

It could be a good thing and could be bad depends on how its set up. Most believe the system we have now is trying to be beat to give teams advantage over others already. How you gonna like it when the Bamas, Texas, and Notre Dames of the world buy the best players because they have the most money?
bamas already paying them (i.e., derrick henry), but this would allow the rest of us to get on the same page legally!  im sure there will be a limit set in place!

Edited by MrGamecockFan, 23 May 2014 - 12:52 AM.

Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 23 May 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

bamas already paying them (i.e., derrick henry), but this would allow the rest of us to get on the same page legally!  im sure there will be a limit set in place!

I won't go into what proof you have of that just more less the point I made. How would it make it a level field when teams like Bama one for sure care ten times more about their football and have ten times the money?

ROLL TIDE!!

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I seriously doubt it will every turn into who ever can pay the highest gets the players.  It will be a flat amount per player and the same at every school.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If we move to pay-for-play I guess I'm going to have to start caring about high school sports.

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 22 May 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

This is certainly true. It would get down to that rather quickly.
Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
They gonna kill my favorite sport
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users