Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

ACC gets it right on champpionship games

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 01 May 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Imagine this:

Permanent Opponents:

Alabama: Tenn ~ AU ~ MS St ~ LSU

Auburn: Bama ~ UGA ~ UF ~ MS St

Arkansas: LSU ~ Mizou ~ aTm ~ KY

Florida: UGA ~ AU ~ Tenn ~ SC

Georgia: UF ~ AU ~ SC ~ Vandy

Kentucky: Tenn ~ Vandy ~ Mizzou ~ Arky

Louisiana State: aTm ~ Arky ~ Ole Miss ~ Bama

Mississippi: LSU ~ MS St ~ Vandy ~ SC

Mississippi State: Ole Miss ~ Bama ~ AU ~ aTm

Missouri: Arky ~ KY ~ aTm ~ SC

South Carolina: UGA ~ UF ~ Ole Miss ~ Mizzou

Tennessee: UF ~ Bama ~ KY ~ Vandy

Texas A & M: LSU ~ Arky ~ Mizzou ~ MS St

Vanderbilt: Tenn ~ KY ~ Ole Miss ~ UGA

PLUS a 9 game schedule

every team rotates the other 9 teams with a home and home with one oddball

make EVERY team schedule TWO teams from the other major conferences (exception being give for the Notre dames of the world)

that is 11 games - everybody gets to schedule ONE crappy cupcake

If you REALLY need another cupcake, set up a game with Maryland, Duke or Iowa State

You would see EVERY SEC team AT LEAST twice every four years

Top 2 teams play for the crown in Atlanta

Tell me this would not be badass....

Oh baby.
"It's all about a mindset at Alabama, either you buy into the program or you don't." - CJ Mosley

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What's going to happen when 12-0 F$U beats 11-1 Clem$on for the second time?
Is the ACC going to be happy about that?
Is that going to get them into the playoffs?

ACC is just pissed they made dumb divisions and that Miami sucks dick now.

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Footnote: ACC football is Posted Imageing awful. Painful to watch.
"It's all about a mindset at Alabama, either you buy into the program or you don't." - CJ Mosley

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm having serious deja vu.
Did we have this topic already?

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 01 May 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Imagine this:

Permanent Opponents:

Alabama: Tenn ~ AU ~ MS St ~ LSU

Auburn: Bama ~ UGA ~ UF ~ MS St

Arkansas: LSU ~ Mizou ~ aTm ~ KY

Florida: UGA ~ AU ~ Tenn ~ SC

Georgia: UF ~ AU ~ SC ~ Vandy

Kentucky: Tenn ~ Vandy ~ Mizzou ~ Arky

Louisiana State: aTm ~ Arky ~ Ole Miss ~ Bama

Mississippi: LSU ~ MS St ~ Vandy ~ SC

Mississippi State: Ole Miss ~ Bama ~ AU ~ aTm

Missouri: Arky ~ KY ~ aTm ~ SC

South Carolina: UGA ~ UF ~ Ole Miss ~ Mizzou

Tennessee: UF ~ Bama ~ KY ~ Vandy

Texas A & M: LSU ~ Arky ~ Mizzou ~ MS St

Vanderbilt: Tenn ~ KY ~ Ole Miss ~ UGA

PLUS a 9 game schedule

every team rotates the other 9 teams with a home and home with one oddball

make EVERY team schedule TWO teams from the other major conferences (exception being give for the Notre dames of the world)

that is 11 games - everybody gets to schedule ONE crappy cupcake

If you REALLY need another cupcake, set up a game with Maryland, Duke or Iowa State

You would see EVERY SEC team AT LEAST twice every four years

Top 2 teams play for the crown in Atlanta

Tell me this would not be badass....

No you gone off and took ark off my schedule. Nope. Gonna argue. 💩
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I like the idea of going back to the pre-92 scheduling format.  I think it was a permanent 5 with 1 and later 2  rotating from the other teams 4 teams.  We always played Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Vandy and Kentucky.

Take the two highest teams not to have played each other go to the championship.  That way you don't end up with a meaningless Iron Bowl to end the season because both teams know no matter what they see each other next week.

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 01 May 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

No you gone off and took ark off my schedule. Nope. Gonna argue.

Really? You can have arky with a 5 game permanent, but which of those 4 that I gave you do you want to lose?
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMatt, on 01 May 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

I like the idea of going back to the pre-92 scheduling format.  I think it was a permanent 5 with 1 and later 2  rotating from the other teams 4 teams.  We always played Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Vandy and Kentucky.

Take the two highest teams not to have played each other go to the championship.  That way you don't end up with a meaningless Iron Bowl to end the season because both teams know no matter what they see each other next week.

it's hard to see UT getting away without Florida on the schedule, and maybe even SC with 5 games...
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 30 April 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

LSU does not have to look like a bunch of whiney little girls anymore
LSU doesn't have to look like a bunch of whiney little girls now; they CHOOSE to do so.
Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 01 May 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

it's hard to see UT getting away without Florida on the schedule, and maybe even SC with 5 games...

Yeah Auburn and Ole Miss are basically lost rivalries at this point.  I would expect people would go crazy in Knoxville if the SEC dropped Florida for Auburn.  If they added a 5th it would have to be UGA or USC at this point.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 01 May 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Really? You can have arky with a 5 game permanent, but which of those 4 that I gave you do you want to lose?

Ha ha look at our record with ark. We ain't scared. Ark is our second biggest rival. We played them long before they joined the sec. It's an awesome game that has had strange things happen. Btw I was just being the first to complain.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've always said that LSU isn't a real rival for us, but this made me think twice.

http://www.andtheval...s-and-tradition

"But it's not a rivalry...
Turning to our good friends Merriam-Webster once again, a rivalry is:

: a state or situation in which people or groups are competing with each other

By this very literal definition, it quite clearly is a rivalry.
The issue here is that our fans somehow don't treat it as such. Rivalries in sports, specifically here, college football, typically emanate from three major sources:
  • Regional, classically in-state, but not exclusively.
    See: Alabama/Auburn, Ole Miss/Mississippi State, Oklahoma/Texas, Michigan/Ohio State, USC/UCLA, FSU/Miami

• Historical
    See: Alabama/Tennessee, Harvard/Yale, Michigan/Ohio State, UGA/Auburn

• Intense Competition
    See: FSU/Miami, UGA/Auburn
According to this standard, LSU/Florida only loosely fits point one, being that they are both in the Southeast.
Number two is the major question. We tend to discuss history in blocks and lump the historical rivalries into a pool of the ones that started back in 1900 or before. LSU's played football since 1893 and the Florida game has been part of that 50% of the time. That's a fairly large chunk of our history, certainly enough to consider something "historical." Comparatively, Florida State and Miami have played 58 times to LSU and UF's 60. Obviously their rivalry is linked moreso to in-state hatred, but I'm not sure the statue of limitations on "historical" should set the bar at 100ish years. We consider Auburn a rival, despite similarly tenuous regional ties and the fact that we've only played them 47 times.
Number three is entirely indisputable. The series sits at a 31-26-3 advantage for Florida. This is enhanced all the more since 2000, at a dead heat 7-7. Since 2003, which would be the first of four National Championship seasons between the two schools, five of the 11 games have been single-digit victories. Nine of the 11 have been within two touchdowns. In that span, one of these two teams participated in the BCS Title Game five times. Seven times one of these teams appeared in the SEC Championship.
This series is not only highly competitive, it's the best that it's ever been. The series not only carries historical depth, it's also presently relevant. Yet, the major opinion here seems to be "meh."
I don't hate Florida...

The last spindly thread in the argument against this being neither a tradition nor a rivalry is that it lacks that good ole fashioned hatred. Michigan/Ohio State come to blows on a near yearly basis. Miami/FSU spit enough vitriol for the bulk of college football. A 54-year-old Oklahoma fan once nearly ripped off the testicles of a 35-year-old Texas fan, because, football. These teams and their fanbases share a blood-boiling, morals-skewing hatred for one another. They may not wish one another would die, but they certainly wouldn't cry about it if it happened.
The question is: Why?
I don't know.
So let me remind you:
In 1958, LSU's lone undefeated season in the modern era, LSU beat Florida 10-7. During pre-game warm-ups, Paul Dietzel told FB/K Tommy Davis to "Warm up that toe, Davis." Florida notched more yards and 1st downs. The game nearly ended in a tie, until Billy Cannon did Billy Cannon things (after doing some un Billy Cannon things), putting LSU into FG position with under three minutes to go in the game. Davis made the kick, LSU won and preserved their undefeated season. More important than all that? For the first time in school history, LSU secured the no. 1 slot in the AP poll.
Steve Spurrier spent half a decade dropping half a hundo on us, embarrassing LSU in grand fashion. There are rumors, to this day, that he despises LSU, because they refused to even interview him when they hired Mike Archer.
Florida beat us nine consecutive years, nine, from 1988 through 1996. The 1997 upset remains a watershed moment in our program's history, even if they rattled off four more consecutive victories after that.
What about Ron Zook? The man who once out-snookered the GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME... on our home turf... during one of our two recent National Championship seasons.
What about Urban Meyer? The guy we made cry in 2005. The guy who defamed our University all in the name of nabbing a recruit. The guy who once allowed a player back onto the team that punched a man, spat on him and THEN SHOT AN AK-47 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE F'N STREET.
What about the 2007 showdown, the one that SPOILER ALERT: every writer on this staff, but one, voted as the single best Game of the Les Miles era?
What about Tim Tebow miming a phone to our student section and running roughshod on our defense for three seasons?
What about Lee-to-Toliver in the Swamp after a botched faked FG to win yet another classic?
Do none of these strike you as perfectly valid reasons to actually hate Florida? To actually give reverence to this rivalry?
It's a Shame...

Here we are, hot in the middle of an SEC schedule debate and all we can do is cast off this great game and series. It's given second run. It's a game we "don't care about," are "indifferent about," and "there's nothing inherently great about." It's most certainly not tradition; you've all made that crystal clear by emphatically and repeatedly reminding me that the only reason it exists is "cause of Bama/UT and their traditions."
Schedule equity be damned, this game is worth preserving.
Because this game is our tradition."

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHail2TheTide, on 30 April 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

This would be kinda cool. Playing the same division gets a little repetitive. Would love to play Georgia, USC, etc. frequently.
id like to see an annual game against Alabama...

View Postdcbl, on 01 May 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

the SEC is not showing itself to be capable of leading

We jumped to 14 teams in a reaction to other conferences expanding

We discussed and voted on a 9 game conference schedule in reaction to other conferences doing so - we made the WRONG decision, that will change if we start seeing strength of schedule hurting us in the new playoff system

Playing every team more often would be better for everyone. having the best 2 teams face off for a championship would be better

The playoff will expand from 4 teams - how long that takes no one knows, but it will happen

WHEN it does happen, we will be hard pressed to get 2 teams in with an 8 game conference slate
you do realize that the committee votes on who the top 4 will be, and that its not necessarily the top 4 in the rankings right.  also, go back and look how many sec teams are usually in the top 10...and youre worried about us not having a spot?  9 games is not necessary in our conference and the last thing we should ever do is follow what much weaker conference is doing!
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users