Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Mr. Slive how about Tradition for Basketball Scheduling?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Posthog_heaven, on 01 May 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Has nothing to do with this season. I was only 10 when Ark moved to the SEC but I remember the excitement about getting to play a team like UK every year and the expectation was that when the conference went away from divisions that we would do a home-and-home annually. However, we didn't hold up our end of the deal by not sucking.
I agree actually. If Arky continues to get better i'd like to see a home and home.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 01 May 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

Exaggerating?
Im sure Billy D would love to know a lot of Florida fans consider basketball a second rate sport. The guy doesn't get the appreciation he deserves from his fair weathered fans.
If you mean the SEC when you say "us" then yes, we're the black sheep. It's almost a polar opposite in the ACC or Big East.

Here is a list of D1 schools that think basketball is more important than football:
Kentucky
Duke
North Carolina
Kansas
Indiana
probably UCONN

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yes to Arkansas twice a year.

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 01 May 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Here is a list of D1 schools that think basketball is more important than football:
Kentucky
Duke
North Carolina
Kansas
Indiana
probably UCONN
Louisville

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 01 May 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Louisville

So Louisville is in the same company as Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, UNC, and Duke?

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 01 May 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

So Louisville is in the same company as Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, UNC, and Duke?
And I'm too smart for this.

On a list of schools that care more about basketball than football, they are.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Damn, I just wanted to have it in writing.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 01 May 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Kentucky
Duke
North Carolina
Kansas
Indiana
probably UCONN
Are you talking about fans or the administration? If it's the fans then that list is a joke. Don't let UL fans lie. They love football when they're good. They cared nothing for it when Kragthorp was there.

You must not of put any thought into that list cause Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, NC State, Arizona(maybe), UCLA were left off along with some others
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Louisville only cares about football because they can't say Posted Image to us about basketball.  Kentucky has always cared about and shown up for football, we are just batPosted Image crazy about basketball.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 01 May 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Are you talking about fans or the administration? If it's the fans then that list is a joke. Don't let UL fans lie. They love football when they're good. They cared nothing for it when Kragthorp was there.

You must not of put any thought into that list cause Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, NC State, Arizona(maybe), UCLA were left off along with some others

You're delusional if you think NC State, Arizona, or UCLA fans are more into basketball than football.
No one cares about Georgetown or Villanova, but I'll give you Syracuse.

Point being, basketball is a secondary sport in this country.
It would make sense that it is a secondary sport at most colleges and universities too, which it is.
You can trash every other program all you want to, but the truth is that Kentucky is the outlier (whether good or bad).

Edited by JoeGator, 01 May 2014 - 01:05 PM.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 01 May 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

You're delusional if you think NC State, Arizona, or UCLA fans are more into basketball than football.
No one cares about Georgetown or Villanova, but I'll give you Syracuse.

Point being, basketball is a secondary sport in this country.
It would make sense that it is a secondary sport at most colleges and universities too, which it is.
You can trash every other program all you want to, but the truth is that Kentucky is the outlier (whether good or bad).
For once we agree.  However here its our boosters and administration that have hindered football.  Fans love football here.  But when we're as good at basketball as we are and as bad at football, all of that football passion got transposed onto basketball.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 01 May 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

For once we agree.  However here its our boosters and administration that have hindered football.  Fans love football here.  But when we're as good at basketball as we are and as bad at football, all of that football passion got transposed onto basketball.

And I've never dumped on Kentucky for their basketball following.
But acting like the rest of the world should be as basketball-crazy as UK is just doesn't make any sense.

It is a total joke to say Florida fans don't care about basketball or Billy Donovan.
That's just a bunch of BS made up by UK fans to give themselves another talking point.
Sorry Gainesville is at least 2 hours from every metro area in Florida and we don't "sell out" like Kentucky does.

/end

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Joe's a douche
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 01 May 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Joe's a douche

Probably.
But I'm also right.

SERDI

SERDI
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 01 May 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Give me a break, you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Football is more valued than basketball at 99% of D1 institutions.
Kentucky is the weird school for obsessing over a second rate sport while barely giving the time of day to football.
The rest of us are normal.

With the exception of the last year Joker Phillips was football coach at UK, for not caring football, it is amazing that we were consistently ranked in the top 25 in attendance. Considering the point that as great a job Billy has done there, it is pitiful the lack of solid SRO sellouts and attendance....Who cares more, UK about football or UF in basketball.  Also, if Florida had a losing record in basketball like UK has often had in football, how many people would show up in Gainesville for basketball...exactly.  I have been around way before you were born.  I can remember back in the 60's when UK led the football series vs UF, and I have attended a UF basketball game when Neal Walk played there at Alligator Alley.  When Billy retires, Florida returns to the pack.