Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Staying with 8 games and 1 permanent "fixed" opponent from the opposite division

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostALA2262, on 20 June 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

Guess i'm as crazy as Tim Brandeau. He thinks it happens this year, and look who he has 5th that gets left out. :)

Timmy's Picks

If SC only loses one game and wins the SEC they'll finish in the top 4. If SC loses two games but wins the SEC and all the other champs only lose one it'll depend on who the other champs lose against. Plus going into the season our strength of schedule is harder than any of those other teams...yet we only play 8 conference games. We're ranked as the 13th hardest schedule. ucla plays 9, yet they're at 60th and ou plays nine while they're at 93rd. Please tell me how a team playing the 93rd hardest schedule is going to get in over the SEC champ. And ftr the other two are florida state at 47 and michigan state at 55. So actually the two teams who play nine conference games are the ones with the weakest schedules.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
that's right cocky, those that complain about our 8 game load are the ones with the weaker schedule. playing more conference games helps the teams at the top but hurts the middle of the pack and lower tier teams. playing somebody outside your conference from one of the whining conferences is great for comparison of conferences.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 21 June 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

that's right cocky, those that complain about our 8 game load are the ones with the weaker schedule. playing more conference games helps the teams at the top but hurts the middle of the pack and lower tier teams. playing somebody outside your conference from one of the whining conferences is great for comparison of conferences.

Agreed. And playing more in conference games will only add to the loss column for SEC teams, because more often than not we win OOC games. So the SEC team who wins the 9th game still has as many wins as if they had scheduled on OOC matchup in that spot, but the SEC team they beat probably finishes with a loss they wouldn't have had if they could've scheduled an OOC matchup. Now, I'm not saying schedule cupcakes...so yes there will be some losses from OOC games, but it won't be a guaranteed loss to add to the pool like it would be if there is an extra conference game.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 21 June 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Agreed. And playing more in conference games will only add to the loss column for SEC teams, because more often than not we win OOC games. So the SEC team who wins the 9th game still has as many wins as if they had scheduled on OOC matchup in that spot, but the SEC team they beat probably finishes with a loss they wouldn't have had if they could've scheduled an OOC matchup. Now, I'm not saying schedule cupcakes...so yes there will be some losses from OOC games, but it won't be a guaranteed loss to add to the pool like it would be if there is an extra conference game.

I would like the idea of a fixed ooc from one of the major conferences. one so fans can get to know each other and be more routine. OU and texas did this before they killed the swc and we did that with ark for years.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 21 June 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

I would like the idea of a fixed ooc from one of the major conferences. one so fans can get to know each other and be more routine. OU and texas did this before they killed the swc and we did that with ark for years.

Yeah, that's one of the great things about rivalry week around here. Not only do we play clemson, but we also have UGA-gt and UF-f$u...plus Vandy is trying to do the same with wf. And we can add the UK-louisville rivalry to the SEC-acc matchups(though not sure it'll be during rivalry week). I'd love to see A&M play texass every year. Not really sure who I'd like to see the West teams play every year, but I think it definitely adds to the interest if it's an annual thing.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 21 June 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

Yeah, that's one of the great things about rivalry week around here. Not only do we play clemson, but we also have UGA-gt and UF-f$u...plus Vandy is trying to do the same with wf. And we can add the UK-louisville rivalry to the SEC-acc matchups(though not sure it'll be during rivalry week). I'd love to see A&M play texass every year. Not really sure who I'd like to see the West teams play every year, but I think it definitely adds to the interest if it's an annual thing.

I would like for us to be every year with va.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 21 June 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

I would like for us to be every year with va.

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing SEC and acc going ahead and officially announcing matchups between two teams for a good 5-6 years or so(maybe longer). We're already about halfway there between all the East teams and the Chik-Fil-A Kickoff Classic moving to two games.

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Useless to hope the CFP never goes beyond 4 teams. But I can see already from this conversation, that we will never hear the end of the whining from the fifth team left out each year. Will be fantastic! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users