Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

2015 SECTalk.com Fundraiser
Progress: $1,100 of $2,570 raised

Predictably Race Called Into Question Regarding Coaching Changes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

volimhtown

volimhtown

So sayeth the shepherd...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Thank You, Pat Forde, for this.... http://sports.yahoo....diacontentstory  (sigh)

I'm really getting tired of these non-stories that are "stories" for the express reason to garner interest and notoriety for the author. Look, I know the SEC has made their own bed with regards to racial overtones and that there are still very small factions of people at every school who take issues with such matters, BUT race had little and/or nothing to do with these coach's decisions. Using that same elementary rationale would also support the assertion that both the NFL and NBA are racist towards white players due to the small numbers of them in comparison to the ethnic makeup of this country. NEWS FLASH... PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS MATTER, FOLKS!! And RIGHTLY take precedence over your ethnicity.

That's where the story begins and ends with regards to the 4 coaches mentioned in the article. If race played a roll at all it was to allow these gentlemen the opportunity to step down as opposed to being fired. Did ANY of these coaches exceed expectations?? No... not at all. So what/where is the problem or issue. Now if you want to make the case that college head coaching positions almost always come with unrealistic expectations and unattainable goals, I'm with you. College coaching positions and responsibilities are not properly valued at all, but that has nothing to do with race.

Let's start with Tubby Smith.... his record of success would garner statues on just about any other campus outside of Lexington, KY. BUT the standard is MUCH higher there and frankly his results on the whole did not measure up. He failed to reach the Final Four on his last Nine years of the job... the longest drought in UK history. This is a results oriented business and at UK, it's Final Four or bust.

To Cuonzo Martin.... look, Tennessee fans are still hung up and in love with Bruce Pearl. Short of winning BIG, the new coach had an uphill climb in order to measure up. And measure up he never did. He did a good job getting talent to the court, he just couldn't coach it up from that point. His run the the Sweet 16 notwithstanding, his teams CONSISTENTLY under-performed and lacked fundamentals. Right or wrong, there's no doubt he felt under-appreciated in Knoxville and I'm quite sure he had made his decision to look elsewhere long before his late season run of success.

To Frank Haith... again a coach that the fans just didn't seem to rally around. AND he gave them very little to do that with. Much like Martin, his teams under-performed. Had a hell of a good inaugural season but it ended with a first round NCAA tourney upset loss. It was all downhill from there. They didn't even make the Big Dance this year and at a place where you are always in Norm Stewart's shadow, that's unacceptable.

And then to Trent Johnson... again an impressive splash to start but then.... TIMBER!!!! A 12-36 conference record over the next three seasons?? Ouch!! Not acceptable by ANY measure.

So.... what's REALLY the trend here? Is the fact that these coaches moved on to "lesser programs" really a sign of anything besides a lack of results by them at the programs they were at? Shouldn't the real story and the real interest be about the fact that black coaches are getting their opportunity to coach at the SEC level? Isn't that what equality's all about? It's still incumbent upon the individual to take advantage of that opportunity and to meet or exceed expectations, right?

So to Mr. Forde and the like.... go away with these stupid stories that do nothing but stir up the simple-minded in our society who take things at face value. The reality is that there is no substance to your article and assertion. There is still REAL racism out there unfortunately. But to assert it where none exists does MUCH more to hinder progress. And to think there was a time that journalism was proceeded by investigation and information gathering. Certainly not the case here!
Phyllis-But it is a big deal. You almost killed Stanley.
Dwight-Yeah right! I filled him full of butter and sugar for 50 years and forced him not to exercise!

ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah, not to mention how mad Arkansas fans were when they fired Pel and hired that black guy!

(obvious sarc)

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah, in these 2 cases that's complete nonsense. A small faction of fans reportedly did some pretty trashy stuff to CM; but you'll find those small factions of white trash on every campus in the country, not just the South or the SEC. Hell, Ohio is one of the few remaining Klan strongholds.
Posted ImagePosted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Racism will always exist because people like Forde will always call it into question. Reminding everyone about it at every turn.
Posted Image

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
MSU fired Stansbury.Where's the outrage?

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 April 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Yeah, in these 2 cases that's complete nonsense. A small faction of fans reportedly did some pretty trashy stuff to CM; but you'll find those small factions of white trash on every campus in the country, not just the South or the SEC. Hell, Ohio is one of the few remaining Klan strongholds.

You just had to throw that last sentence in...

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postzartan, on 19 April 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

You just had to throw that last sentence in...

:lol:  Sorry, the topic just happened to coincide with my watching a special on them the other day.
Posted ImagePosted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Eskimos

zartan

zartan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 19 April 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

:lol:  Sorry, the topic just happened to coincide with my watching a special on them the other day.

Actually I had no idea about it, but it's hardly shocking

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Complete bullPosted Image. Like half of the SEC coaches are black. This article was solely just to cause controversy.

Edited by GATORSFAN21, 19 April 2014 - 07:59 PM.

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Articles like this don't help the cause of these coaches.It can make teams leary of hiring them for fear of the repercussions of firing them.

Though Richardson may have had some reason to complain about his firing here,his actions made him unattractive for other jobs and may have actually hurt other's chance's at jobs.

If a coach gets the job done his race isn't a factor.Why is it that if he don't get it done then race is a factor?

I'm a little tired of walking on pins and needles around these issues when things are clearly heading toward equality in basketball.

When I say equality in basketball I mean coaching,not players.

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Troll article. Posted Image your race card
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Forde is a Louisville homer and trash. Posted Image him and his agendas.
Posted Image

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
There is way to many black athletes in football and basketball I'm offended as a white person its time for affirmative action.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Michael White....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users