Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

2014 NBA First Round Playoff Predictions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
626 replies to this topic

volimhtown

volimhtown

So sayeth the shepherd...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
When you think about it, the NBA and NHL are really the only sports leagues that get it right in determining their championship TEAM. ANYTHING can and does happen in one game lose and go home situations. The drama makes for great interest but were UConn and Kentucky REALLY the best team this year?? Really?? And even in baseball the ability to stack your pitching in the playoffs goes against what it took to get there in the first place.
Even if you're not an NBA or NHL fan, you have to appreciate what it truly takes to be crowned the Champion in those sports. Upsets happen for sure but over the course of a 7 game series, the cream always rises.
In the NBA, over in the West you can easily make a case for at least 6 of the 8 teams to survive and thanks to the 2nd half season swoons of the Pacers and Heat, the East playoffs now have a luster to them even. So.... here are my predictions:

The East

1. Indiana vs. 8. Atlanta.... The good news for the Hawks is that the Pacers look like a team in complete flux... a team ripe for an upset. The bad news for the Hawks is that they're THE HAWKS. Even with the Pacers struggling like they have the past couple of months, there's NO reason to think that a vastly inferior team like the Hawks has a chance. PACERS IN FIVE

2. Miami vs. 7. Charlotte.... Someone needs to inform Erik Spoelstra that he's no Greg Popovich.  There is value in resting your stars for sure, but mailing it in the way they did the last few games and essentially handing the Pacers the #1 seed (which they seemingly did not want) may have some consequences. The first of which comes in having to face a young, dangerous Bobcats team in the first round instead of the Hawks. Now all of that said I don't give the Bobcats much of a shot at all in this series but an aging Heat team will have to work much harder than they should have to advance to the 2nd round.  HEAT IN SIX

3. Toronto vs. 6. Brooklyn.... This is going to be an interesting series! Can the Raptors back-court outplay the Nets' front-court? Youth versus experience! More importantly (for you conspiracy theorists) will the NBA give team Canada a fair chance to advance? I mean lets face it... who doesn't want to see KG and Pierce get one more shot at the Heat?? NETS IN SEVEN

4. Chicago vs. 5. Washington.... How in the world do the Bullets finish in 5th place? More importantly, how does THIS game get the prime-time slot on Sunday night?? Oh well.... You gotta love Noah's efforts but a Rose-less Bulls team is just brutal viewing for anyone not a Chi-town fan. And outside of John Wall, who actually plays for the Bullets?? A bunch of cast-offs from other NBA destinations. Give them credit for being here, but.... wake me when this series is over! BULLS IN SIX

The West

1. San Antonio vs. 8. Dallas.... 15th verse, same as the first! The Mavs threw everything and everyone they could in that awesome season finale versus Memphis the other night to try to avoid this first round match-up against the Spurs. AND for good reason! The Mavs are just no match for this Spurs team. SPURS SWEEP

2. Oklahoma City vs. 7. Memphis.... The Sonics had to have the league MVP save the day (as usual) against the lowly Pistons the other night to avoid slipping to the #3 spot. Was that really such a good thing? In my opinion the Grizzlies are a MUCH tougher match-up for the Sonics than the Warriors are. Especially a now HEALTHY Grizzly team. Strap your work boots on... this one's going to be fun to watch. In the end though I think KD does just enough to guide his team to the 2nd round. SONICS IN SEVEN

3. LA Clippers vs. 6. Golden State.... The Clips are (in my opinion) the most complete team in the NBA. There is just something about them though that you just can't trust. There's something about them that just keeps you from feeling comfortable about going "all in" with them. On the other side the Warriors are just fun to watch if you're a true basketball fan. Mark Jackson is a jacka$$ but you gotta love his team. That said, no Iguodala, no Bogut, no CHANCE. The Clips are just going to be too much in the middle. It will be an awesome series to watch though! CLIPPERS IN SIX

4. Houston vs. 5. Portland.... Rockets fans are already talking about the Spurs and the 2nd round and that has me VERY worried. That and the way the Rockets seemed to cool off down the stretch. As with all of my predictions, I'm going to assume that there are no un-seen injury problems. The Blazers are a very talented and capable team but I think the Rockets just have too much firepower. Should be a good series though! ROX IN SIX
Phyllis-But it is a big deal. You almost killed Stanley.
Dwight-Yeah right! I filled him full of butter and sugar for 50 years and forced him not to exercise!

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo > all

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
East:
Hawks over Pacers in 7
Hawks are finally somewhat healthy, and are a really bad matchup for the struggling pacers. Every team will win their home game until Jeff Teague goes off in game 7.

Miami over Charlotte in 6
Charlotte is really under rated, and will split the first four to give miami a scare. But Miami has James and experience, and will squeeze this series out.

Brooklyn over Toronto in 6
I don't know what to think of this, but Brooklyn has been the hottest team in the NBA since the halfway point and will carry that momentum through the first round.

Chicago over Washington in 7.
The Wizards have a talented group, but they won't be able to squeeze this one out. Noah will have a huge series, and every game will be low scoring.

West:

San Antonio over Dallas in 5.
Rivalries! Duncan vs Nowitzki. But the Spurs are all around the best team in the NBA and will win this series easily in 5

Oklahoma City over Memphis in 7
This is going to be an amazing series, physical, and full of close games. But I think that home field advantage in a game 7 will be too much for the Grizz to overcome.

Clippers over Warriors in 6.
Another huge rivalry series, with two of the best point guards in the game. All 6 of these games will be high scoring and full of excitement, but the Clippers will squeak this one out and win the series in 6.

Rockets over Trail blazers in 6
The trail blazers are a great story in the west, but the combination of Harden and Howard will be too much.
Posted Image
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo > all

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Disclaimer:
I am a hawks fan :P
Posted Image
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Im so Posted Imageing ready for the Cats game tomorrow night!!
The 2014 Alabama Football Revenge Tour:

West Virginia: W
Florida Atlantic: W
Southern Miss: W
Florida: W
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:
Texas A&M:
Tennessee:
LSU:
Mississippi State:
Western Carolina:

Auburn:

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Thunder in 5. Ready to watch tonight. NBA season is a drag. Playoffs are awesome.
Striker.jpg

#4 Oklahoma 4-0 (1-0) @ #25 TCU 3-0 Oct 4th

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Warriors Vs. Clippers is on right now. I've got Golden State winning the series.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGATORSFAN21, on 19 April 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Warriors Vs. Clippers is on right now. I've got Golden State winning the series.

I've got the Clippers. Good game thus far. Should be a good series, to bad most week night games won't start until very late.

Thunder finally decided to lift the minutes restrictions on Westbrook.
Striker.jpg

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBlackSheep 171, on 19 April 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

I've got the Clippers. Good game thus far. Should be a good series, to bad most week night games won't start until very late.

Thunder finally decided to lift the minutes restrictions on Westbrook.
You cheer for Blake Griffin?

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Go David Lee!

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Steph and Klay are badass
Posted Image

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Paul just nailed a three to get the clippers back in the lead.

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGATORSFAN21, on 19 April 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

You cheer for Blake Griffin?

Yes, unless he is playing the Thunder. However Blake isn't why I picked the Clippers.
Striker.jpg

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Griffin is fouled out.....

Edited by GATORSFAN21, 19 April 2014 - 04:13 PM.

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Warriors win.

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo > all

• Members
  • PipPipPip