Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.


Calling all Progressives!

* - - - - 1 votes

  • Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1
ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,104
  • Age:
    31
  • Joined:
    Sep 2008
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    464
Hey guys, I'd like to have an actual, respectful discussion about politics without resorting to trash talk and name calling. Mainly want to stick to economics, taxes, and welfare because I am generally socially libertarian. I just kinda want to know your vision of an optimized system for the maximum prosperity of the people of this country. If you like, you can address in advance potential arguments with which I may counter. I know this is think tank material but I wanted to capture your attention because I cant remember the names of all the left leaning posters around here. Thanks!!

#2
MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    4,253
  • Joined:
    Jan 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    4,079

View PostARfanNmem, on 10 April 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Hey guys, I'd like to have an actual, respectful discussion about politics

Posted Image
Posted Image
Credit: Justin King

#3
Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

    Disney Dawg

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    10,300
  • Age:
    32
  • Joined:
    Nov 2006
  • Location:
    Greenville, SC
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    6,295
Say what you will about the tenets of national socialism, but at least it's an ethos
Posted Image
Formerly known as gatorhater

#4
ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,104
  • Age:
    31
  • Joined:
    Sep 2008
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    464

View PostMizzouMark, on 10 April 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

Posted Image
lol. Noice

#5
ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,104
  • Age:
    31
  • Joined:
    Sep 2008
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    464

View PostHerschel Talker, on 11 April 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

Say what you will about the tenets of national socialism, but at least it's an ethos

Maybe so.  But I was interested in hearing about the means of achieving national socialism (how do we get there, at what cost, etc.) and what it would look like (would there be a limit to what you can have, would society continue to be allowed to evolve or remain in a stasis, etc.).

#6
Coqui

Coqui

    welp

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    2,706
  • Age:
    26
  • Joined:
    Feb 2008
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    1,121

View PostARfanNmem, on 11 April 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:



Maybe so.  But I was interested in hearing about the means of achieving national socialism (how do we get there, at what cost, etc.) and what it would look like (would there be a limit to what you can have, would society continue to be allowed to evolve or remain in a stasis, etc.).

Woosh


Posted Image

34-17 | 29-7 | 34-13 | 27-17 | 31-17


The Rebels of Oakland


#7
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,885
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,608
@NextYearIsHere
@zartan
@ForwardRebels
@mostpostersunder30

Y'all enjoy.

Posted Image


#8
ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,104
  • Age:
    31
  • Joined:
    Sep 2008
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    464

View Postsmokeyone, on 11 April 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

@NextYearIsHere
@zartan
@ForwardRebels
@mostpostersunder30

Y'all enjoy.

Thanks smokey.  I lol'ed at the last one. I'm 30 FWIW

I couldn't remember who all considered themselves liberal or progressive.  Also, a lot of them are gone from the boards this summer cause, well, nothing is going on in the SEC.  Also is @GatorUnvrsty progressive? @jacobp?

#9
Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,845
  • Age:
    53
  • Joined:
    Jan 2014
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    870

View PostARfanNmem, on 11 April 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Thanks smokey.  I lol'ed at the last one. I'm 30 FWIW

I couldn't remember who all considered themselves liberal or progressive.  Also, a lot of them are gone from the boards this summer cause, well, nothing is going on in the SEC.  Also is @GatorUnvrsty progressive? @jacobp?

Me.
The 2014 Alabama Football Revenge Tour:

West Virginia: W
Florida Atlantic: W
Southern Miss: W
Florida: W
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:
Texas A&M:
Tennessee:
LSU:
Mississippi State:
Western Carolina:

Auburn:

#10
Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,845
  • Age:
    53
  • Joined:
    Jan 2014
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    870
I lied.
The 2014 Alabama Football Revenge Tour:

West Virginia: W
Florida Atlantic: W
Southern Miss: W
Florida: W
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:
Texas A&M:
Tennessee:
LSU:
Mississippi State:
Western Carolina:

Auburn:

#11
L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

    Go Hogs,Pilgrim

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,730
  • Age:
    57
  • Joined:
    Feb 2009
  • Cash:
    500
  • High Fives:
    5,761
Think tank.

#12
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,885
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,608

View PostARfanNmem, on 11 April 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Thanks smokey.  I lol'ed at the last one. I'm 30 FWIW

I couldn't remember who all considered themselves liberal or progressive.  Also, a lot of them are gone from the boards this summer cause, well, nothing is going on in the SEC.  Also is @GatorUnvrsty progressive? @jacobp?

And the Ole Miss posters. And all the female posters. And I am done posting in your Lil thread

Posted Image


#13
ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    1,104
  • Age:
    31
  • Joined:
    Sep 2008
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    464

View Postsmokeyone, on 11 April 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

And the Ole Miss posters. And all the female posters. And I am done posting in your Lil thread

Well, apparently there weren't any takers out there.  Either that or they thought I was trying to set them up for some sort of troll.  It's just I read all these comments at salon, huffpo, etc. and nobody ever explains their position.  It's just anger about how greedy and stupid republicans and rich people are.  And I just wanted someone to explain to me why they feel the way they do.  Yeah I could go read Krugman's books but I wanted a layman's perspective.

#14
L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

    Go Hogs,Pilgrim

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,730
  • Age:
    57
  • Joined:
    Feb 2009
  • Cash:
    500
  • High Fives:
    5,761
No offense,but politics belong in the tank.

#15
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,885
  • Age:
    38
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    1,000
  • High Fives:
    3,608

View PostARfanNmem, on 11 April 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

Well, apparently there weren't any takers out there.  Either that or they thought I was trying to set them up for some sort of troll.  It's just I read all these comments at salon, huffpo, etc. and nobody ever explains their position.  It's just anger about how greedy and stupid republicans and rich people are.  And I just wanted someone to explain to me why they feel the way they do.  Yeah I could go read Krugman's books but I wanted a layman's perspective.

I don't mean to intrude on your thread but for socialism to work in this country you need the church to disappear, most people over 30 to die and a total reliance on government in every aspect of our daily lives. The movement to do away with the church has been doing very well with the idea of freedom of religion morphing into freedom from religion, the educational system moving from the state to the federal level has made the under 30 crowd very open to a central government as the answer and while we are not dropping dead at a rate to avoid conflict we are getting moved further from the mainstream (over 30 crowd).

Maybe the end result will be worth it to someone but the idea of socialism is just unamerican and in polar opposition to the ideals we were taught in school and growing up. Whereas I was taught about the rugged individualist and manifest destiny and inspired to follow that example, it seems that is no longer the case.

Posted Image







0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users