Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Northwestern granted right to unionize

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA. Pilgrim, on 01 April 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

http://grantland.com...thletics-union/

A lot of good stuff in this Grantland column. I strongly recommend checking it out, if you're interested in this subject.

I've kinda made this point before.  Athletics is the one and only area where "amateurism" is held up as some kind of virtue and you're an evil person for wanting and trying to make a dollar off your efforts.

Contrast that to academics, where if you're on a full ride academic scholarship, the university ENCOURAGES you to intern/co-op/summer hire to gain experience and make some cash.  Why the difference?  Why no hand wringing and moaning about "Well you won't be an amateur engineer anymore if you accept pay for your work, and it will be against the rules to keep your academic scholarship!"  On the face it's absolutely absurd....

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA. Pilgrim, on 01 April 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

http://grantland.com...thletics-union/

A lot of good stuff in this Grantland column. I strongly recommend checking it out, if you're interested in this subject.

Found one flaw in their thinking. It would have to do with the difference between private and public schools. Example when a scientist working for the gov't Ag research center ( stoneville, ms) discovers something it's his to take with him. Usually a private company like DuPont, Dow, Bayer or Monsanto hires them and then they own that research. Happens all the time. So if somebody from vandy discovered something then vandy may own the rights but if a volunteer discovered something the state of tenn would not
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

A. Pilgrim

A. Pilgrim
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 02 April 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Found one flaw in their thinking. It would have to do with the difference between private and public schools. Example when a scientist working for the gov't Ag research center ( stoneville, ms) discovers something it's his to take with him. Usually a private company like DuPont, Dow, Bayer or Monsanto hires them and then they own that research. Happens all the time. So if somebody from vandy discovered something then vandy may own the rights but if a volunteer discovered something the state of tenn would not

luckily, all but one SEC school are public schools, so the flaw isn't much of an issue
:D

Posted Image

Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostA. Pilgrim, on 02 April 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

luckily, all but one SEC school are public schools, so the flaw isn't much of an issue
:D

Of course what I mentioned as a flaw has been said before many times. Just that author didn't think about it
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbbqit, on 02 April 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

That's just a general condition of employment and it's generally restricted to things you create in the normal line of your work or would be in the normal line of your work.  If I come up with some whiz bang airplane gadget while at work, then my employer has first rights to it because aero engineering is what they're paying me to do.  If instead on my own time at home come up with a super duper hybrid tomato then they don't have first rights to that because they're not paying me for agriculturual research.

And that even extends to public universities.  One of my old professors developed a new valve for injecting resin into carbon fiber composites during the cure process while he was a professor at the University of Maryland.  He retained most of the license proceeds but the University got a cut as well, again because he was being paid by them to do composite research at the time....

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Imageing yankees gonna ruin it for everybody. Kain Kolter is just pissed that Coach Fitz never liked him so they ran a 2 QB system.

Posted Image