State Nicknames - Page 3 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

State Nicknames

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostForwardRebels, on 23 March 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

/Opened thread expecting it to be about Mississippi State; had several nicknames to post

/Read PT's OP and left disappoint  :(
Typical of a Sand Lapper I reckon
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostForwardRebels, on 23 March 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

/Opened thread expecting it to be about Mississippi State; had several nicknames to post

/Read PT's OP and left disappoint  :(
I came in expecting it to be about Mississippi State and I too left disappointed.
Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 23 March 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

I came in expecting it to be about Mississippi State and I too left disappointed.

how bout this? when I was a kid before 1st grade they were called the maroons. got the pennant to show for it too. then in the early 60's they changed it to bulldogs for good. some say they called themselves bulldogs before that but they hadn't done anything until an Ole Miss lawyer helped them out.

https://www.youtube....h?v=C_Kh7nLplWo

Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Colonel Black Bear

Colonel Black Bear
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Do any Mississippians know why we were referred to as the "Sand Lappers"?  I honestly have no clue.

Also, while on the subject, MSU folks, why are you called the Bulldogs?

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostColonel Black Bear, on 24 March 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

Do any Mississippians know why we were referred to as the "Sand Lappers"?  I honestly have no clue.

Also, while on the subject, MSU folks, why are you called the Bulldogs?

There is an official story behind it, but I think we were referred to as having the tenacity of a bulldog back in 1905 or something to that effect. I don't think it was until a little later that we actually renamed the sports teams bulldogs, maybe in the thirties.
Posted Image

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Boiled peanuts are the shiz but you gotta have some type Creole seasoning for me. Enough of them and you'll fart like a grown ass man.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 23 March 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

I was a history major in school specializing in the last twenty years before the Civil War and yet have never seen this documentary. I should probably check it out. But Sand Lappers blows my mind. I associate Mississippi more with red clay than I do sand.

If anything, MS should be associated with loess or alluvial soils.  Red clay does have a heavy presence in east/southeast MS.  Then you got sandy soils of gulf coast, black soils of the NE.  I don't know where the heck they got sand lappers.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 24 March 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

There is an official story behind it, but I think we were referred to as having the tenacity of a bulldog back in 1905 or something to that effect. I don't think it was until a little later that we actually renamed the sports teams bulldogs, maybe in the thirties.

It was around 1960 I believe.  Bulldogs was always an unofficial nickname, and came about how you mentioned.  We were the Mississippi A&M Aggies until like the 1920's, then the university was renamed Mississippi State College and we became the Maroons.  Then around 1960 we became MSU and Bulldogs became the official mascot.

FIRE EVERYONE

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Mississippi mud pies. Almost every truck you see has a pair of rubber boots crammed between the cab and the bed.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 24 March 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Mississippi mud pies. Almost every truck you see has a pair of rubber boots crammed between the cab and the bed.

Back when I grew rice I did that. I quit putting the boots there cause it rubbed the paint off my truck in those spots
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJDawg, on 24 March 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

It was around 1960 I believe.  Bulldogs was always an unofficial nickname, and came about how you mentioned.  We were the Mississippi A&M Aggies until like the 1920's, then the university was renamed Mississippi State College and we became the Maroons.  Then around 1960 we became MSU and Bulldogs became the official mascot.

Bulldogs have been associated with the program for a while, tho, like you said. Just not in an official capacity until the sixties. Wasn't Bully I buried under the home bench at the fifty-yard line of Scot Field? I have always heard that urban legend.
Posted Image

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Official recognition of the Bulldog as Mississippi State's mascot arrived when a live pup was placed on a coffin. In the early days of the school's gridiron exploits, newspapers referred several times to A&M's "bulldog" style of play. The description became popular enough that in 1905 the school adopted the bulldog as its mascot.

McMinn, Ed. Mississippi State Daily Devotion for Die Hard fans. 2011. Extra Point Publishers. Perry, GA, 31069. p.58-59

And what was in the coffin that had the pup riding on it? Nothing. The coffin was draped in red and blue and was a mock funereal for the University of Mississippi Flood after an 11-0 whipping handed to them by the "Bulldogs" in Jackson, MS.
Posted Image

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
http://www.nmnathlet...=926236#bulldog

This backs up @JDawg, and since it's the official page for such things MSU, it's the one we'll go with.
Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hey @1dawgfan09 nobody gives a Posted Image

:trollface:

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 24 March 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Hey @1dawgfan09 nobody gives a :lanekiffin:

:trollface:

I do. So I guess that means I'm nobody? Hurtful. And here I thought we was boys. :trollface:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users