Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Official NCAA Basketball Tournament Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1580 replies to this topic

adfalcon

adfalcon

OMAHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 22 March 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

I didn't realize there were any left. Early yesterday ESPN reported there were only 16 left; but by the time last night's games were over, they said there were none left.
That's because there were none left perfect on ESPN's sites, there were still plenty left on other sites.
Posted Image

BulldawgFan, on 18 August 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

What makes you think Bama is head and toes above MSU?
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

adfalcon

adfalcon

OMAHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Let's go Harvard
Posted Image

BulldawgFan, on 18 August 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

What makes you think Bama is head and toes above MSU?
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

Titans4Vols

Titans4Vols
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The SEC(albeit only 3 teams) is proving the rest of the NCAA wrong in regards to how good our level of play is.

This should help all SEC schools going forward for NCAA tourny bids in the future. Tennessee should(I know that's a dangerous thing to say) beat Mercer, meaning 3 SEC teams in the sweet 16.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 22 March 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

That's because there were none left perfect on ESPN's sites, there were still plenty left on other sites.

View Postadfalcon, on 22 March 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

No, they weren't reporting on brackets on their sites; they were reporting on brackets submitted to the Billion Dollar Challenge.

And as the Yahoo article pointed out, the last known perfect bracket wasn't one of the ones submitted to the Challenge anyway; so ESPN was right, as of last night there were none left in the Billion Dollar Challenge.
Posted ImagePosted Image
. _ "Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTitans4Vols, on 22 March 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

The SEC(albeit only 3 teams) is proving the rest of the NCAA wrong in regards to how good our level of play is.

This should help all SEC schools going forward for NCAA tourny bids in the future. Tennessee should(I know that's a dangerous thing to say) beat Mercer, meaning 3 SEC teams in the sweet 16.

You would think so; but we've been performing well in tourneys for the last several years, and it still hasn't gotten us any respect from the committee.

From what I've seen from some of these supposed powerhouse programs and powerhouse conferences, I know damn well UAr and Mizzou would've beaten the snot out of several of them; hell, the "powerhouses" are losing to mid-majors right and left as it is.

If folks don't actually watch these other conferences play, they'll never be able to reliably compare us to other conferences.

One huge disparity I've seen almost across the board is most of these teams play little or no defense at all; they just run up and down the court launching shots back and forth. Pathetic.

Blew Pitt's mind when they actually faced a team that played defense today.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 22 March 2014 - 09:07 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Titans4Vols

Titans4Vols
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 22 March 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

You would think so; but we've been performing well in tourneys for the last several years, and it still hasn't gotten us any respect from the committee.

From what I've seen from some of these supposed powerhouse programs and powerhouse conferences, I know damn well UAr and Mizzou would've beaten the snot out of several of them; hell, the "powerhouses" are losing to mid-majors right and left as it is.

If folks don't actually watch these other conferences play, they'll never be able to reliably compare us to other conferences.

One huge disparity I've seen almost across the board is most of these teams play little or no defense at all; they just run up and down the court launching shots back and forth. Pathetic.

Blew Pitt's mind when they actually faced a team that played defense today.

Yeah.

Well hopefully Florida and Kentucky can keep pushing on. Michigan is most likely the end of our line, but I think Kentucky can get past Witchita State(although I do have them losing to Louisville in the sweet 16), and Florida obviously has a chance to take home the title this year.

I think we can actually make a difference in terms of the NCAA's view on SEC teams this year, though. Especially with Kentucky as an 8 seed taking down an undefeated team and Tennessee making it to the sweet 16 despite almost getting left out of the tournament altogether. Showed at the very least there's no excuse for a team like UMass to make it, much less as high of a seed as they were, over a team like Tennessee, Mizzou and the likes.

Edited by Titans4Vols, 22 March 2014 - 09:25 PM.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If the SEC didn't play like steaming piles of Posted Image during  the non-con, it would get more respect.

Frankly, we barely deserved 3 bids

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTitans4Vols, on 22 March 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Yeah.

Well hopefully Florida and Kentucky can keep pushing on. Michigan is most likely the end of our line, but I think Kentucky can get past Witchita State(although I do have them losing to Louisville in the elite 8), and Florida obviously has a chance to take home the title this year.

I think we can actually make a difference in terms of the NCAA's view on SEC teams this year, though. Especially with Kentucky as an 8 seed taking down an undefeated team and Tennessee making it to the sweet 16 despite almost getting left out of the tournament altogether. Showed at the very least there's no excuse for a team like UMass to make it, much less as high of a seed as they were, over a team like Tennessee, Mizzou and the likes.

Oh, believe me, I agree with you; but we have this reputation as a weak conference because our teams are so competitive between each other that only a few teams break out and distance themselves from the pack.

What folks don't realize is, those teams stuck back in that pack are much better than some of the teams from other conferences regularly getting bids every year.

I've been following it and keeping stats on it for the last 5 years or so; and virtually every year our tourney teams beat these other conferences' teams much worse than they beat SEC teams (if they beat them at all) during the season.

I'll post the figures at some point; eye-opening stuff.
Posted ImagePosted Image

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 22 March 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

If the SEC didn't play like steaming piles of Posted Image during  the non-con, it would get more respect.

I don't blame the basketball world for not respecting this cluster-f of a season in the SEC.

Florida showed our only sign of strength.The rest may survive a little longer but our league is bad for the most part.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Exactly.
Even Kentucky went 1-6 or something against ranked teams.

Porcine

Porcine
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 22 March 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Yep, we weren't ranked seventh in conference RPI for nothing.
HelmMap.gif

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 22 March 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

Exactly.
Even Kentucky went 1-6 or something against ranked teams.

Yeah, but that's also a case of that same perception problem. SEC teams didn't get ranked very often because of that perception, so it was impossible for any SEC teams to beat ranked teams in conference... even UK was out of the rankings by season's end.

But you can see how UAr and Mizzou would have easily been competitive with a lot of these tourney teams; so many of them don't pass the eye test, especially on defense.

That's what's surprised me most in this year's tourney; as bad as some of our teams and games looked during conference play, it wasn't any worse than some of the performances in the tourney thus far.

If Mercer and Dayton can advance past Duke and 'Cuse, then obviously those 2 teams weren't all they were cracked up to be and were just slaughtering creampuffs in their own conferences.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 22 March 2014 - 09:45 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think there's a difference between teams that COULD beat low seeds this year and teams that even deserved a chance.

Georgia was our third place team and had 14 losses? Shameful.
Tennessee underacheived so badly they should fire Cuonzo no matter future results.
Mizzou had 1 good win against several bad losses.
Arkansas had a few good wins against a lot of bad losses.

I think it's weird the A10 got more bids, but it's because they beat power conferences in the non con.

Bubble was ridiculously weak this year. No excuse.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 22 March 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

I think there's a difference between teams that COULD beat low seeds this year and teams that even deserved a chance.

Georgia was our third place team and had 14 losses? Shameful.
Tennessee underacheived so badly they should fire Cuonzo no matter future results.
Mizzou had 1 good win against several bad losses.
Arkansas had a few good wins against a lot of bad losses.

I think it's weird the A10 got more bids, but it's because they beat power conferences in the non con.

Bubble was ridiculously weak this year. No excuse.

Well and that's the rub; there's a difference between how good a team is and whether or not they've earned a bid. SEC teams may not have earned bids; but are quite obviously better than teams that are in.

That's the problem with a team like Wichita State; they're obviously a very good team, maybe even good enough for a #1 seed... but they still didn't earn that seed.

I also don't agree with those who say they can't help their schedule because that's an outright bullPosted Image lie. They can't help their conference schedule, but when you play in a Posted Image conference you know you need to go strong out of conference to make up for it.

In fact, Wichita State themselves did that very thing a few years ago; played a formidable OOC schedule and had a very respectable overall SOS. They didn't do that this year; so while they may be plenty good enough to warrant their seed, they nonetheless didn't EARN it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

GATORSFAN21

GATORSFAN21
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Looks like Uconn is gonna beat Nova