Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

North Carolina school takes a stand on bullying that makes sense

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
A little boy was told his my little pony backpack/lunch box were a distraction and a trigger for bullying and to pick another backpack/lunch box.

This apparently was the wrong thing to do. It seems adults would rather expend the schools time and resources to babysitting the kids non school related my little pony gear.
A) Why would a parent set their child up to be bullied by making them low hanging fruit this way?
B) Is a my Lil pony backpack/lunch box essential for school?
C) Do you agree with the schools decision to ask the parent to not send the child to school with a distraction like this?
D) If it was local I would gladly buy the kid a backpack/lunch box in the school colors to resolve this issue and explain to the kid why that was the best answer to the issue

Posted Image

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't think it was the best way to handle the problem if there is no dress code/accessory policy. I think the best way to handle it would be just institute a policy that all backpacks and other accessories must be generic colors, no branding (other than the brand manufacturing the accessories). That way this one person isn't isolated because now he's not the kid who wore a My Little Pony backpack, he's the kid who was forced not to wear the My Little Pony backpack, which will still cause him to be bullied. The action the school took probably made him a bigger target, honestly, by pointing it out to the world.

Also, kids should be taught not to put so much stock into what other kids/people think. By making this kid (and only this kid) not wear what he wants, it's saying that the opinions of others are more important than his own. With no policy like I stated above in place (that I'm aware of), he should be able to use any backpack he wants as long as it doesn't violate any school policies. Just change the policy to not allow accessories that aren't generic, and the whole problem is solved (for the future. They already made matters worse for this one kid).

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
^

He speaks from experience

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 18 March 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

^

He speaks from experience

Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
When I was in school we had arms tooo carry lunch and books.....

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yes,  let's make everyone else change their backpack style to accommodate one kid.  That makes perfect sense.

Orrrr ,  we could ask the school to do its job and monitor bullying and let the kids wear whatever backpack he wants.
Posted Image

bijoukaiba

bijoukaiba

... or Eimii, that works too.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Is the kid in elementary, middle, or high school? Because odds are, either the kid or his dad (or both?) is a brony.

Posted Image

Colonel Black Bear

Colonel Black Bear
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What color is he?

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 18 March 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Yes,  let's make everyone else change their backpack style to accommodate one kid.  That makes perfect sense.

Orrrr ,  we could ask the school to do its job and monitor bullying and let the kids wear whatever backpack he wants.

There should already be a policy like it in place, though. Generic colors for backpacks makes sense. Having kids with random graphics all over their backpacks can ONLY be a distraction, nothing positive. By forcing only one kid to change his backpack, the school is bullying that kid. Not a great message to send, all in the name of anti-bullying.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What distraction does it exactly create?  I guess I was a real asshole by wearing a Ninja Turtles backpack in elementary school.   And don't start on my MLB Trapper Keeper.   TOTAL ANARCHY AHHHH!
Posted Image

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 18 March 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

What distraction does it exactly create?  I guess I was a real asshole by wearing a Ninja Turtles backpack in elementary school.   And don't start on my MLB Trapper Keeper.   TOTAL ANARCHY AHHHH!

I didn't say they all are distractions, but they can only be a distraction. They can't make you a better student.

What's wrong with saying just get a generic backpack? And I don't disagree with what you said about letting him wear what he wants and the school monitor bullying, which is the reactive approach. I offered a proactive solution, definitely better than making 1 kid change and making him a bigger target for bullying.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbijoukaiba, on 18 March 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

Is the kid in elementary, middle, or high school? Because odds are, either the kid or his dad (or both?) is a brony.

A wild bijoukaiba appears.....

That's what I was thinking too. His older brother is probably a broni so he tought it would be cool to have one.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWadeWilson, on 18 March 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

There should already be a policy like it in place, though. Generic colors for backpacks makes sense. Having kids with random graphics all over their backpacks can ONLY be a distraction, nothing positive. By forcing only one kid to change his backpack, the school is bullying that kid. Not a great message to send, all in the name of anti-bullying.

So remove the parenting aspect of it in favor of dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator. Makes sense to me. I mean because one parent either can't or chooses not to think about the effects of setting their child up to be bullied let's remove the possibility of it happening again.

On the other side of the argument, if the child really wants to show is pony pride at school then let him deal with the consequences of it. If it is that important let him it will worth the taunting he receives. Is it really that much different than a college football fan wearing his teams colors in another schools hometown? A little taunting/bullying might be just what kids these days need to toughen then up if their parents are not going their job. As long as it isn't taken to extremes it usually gets old and kids move on to the next thing pretty quickly. Kids are way too sensitive these days anyway.

Posted Image

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If he's to old to be picking out a My lil pony backpack or a boy and is doing so they should do nothing. He may as well start now and get toughened up because he's probably in for a whole life of getting bullied.

"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 18 March 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

So remove the parenting aspect of it in favor of dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator. Makes sense to me. I mean because one parent either can't or chooses not to think about the effects of setting their child up to be bullied let's remove the possibility of it happening again.

On the other side of the argument, if the child really wants to show is pony pride at school then let him deal with the consequences of it. If it is that important let him it will worth the taunting he receives. Is it really that much different than a college football fan wearing his teams colors in another schools hometown? A little taunting/bullying might be just what kids these days need to toughen then up if their parents are not going their job. As long as it isn't taken to extremes it usually gets old and kids move on to the next thing pretty quickly. Kids are way too sensitive these days anyway.

It comes down to the school to handle bullying accordingly. Teasing and taunting students is against he rules...his lunchbox wasn't.

If this was Arizona and a kid was being bullied for taking his American flag lunchbox would your solutions still be the same?? If not then you're focusing on the wrong aspects of the situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users