Four Players Arrested Day Before Spring Practice Begins - Page 6 - Georgia Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 6

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Four Players Arrested Day Before Spring Practice Begins

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBooger, on 29 March 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

No, he didn't. That's a 2nd hand quote from a coach. Meaning it's hearsay. As in Coach said Player said "xyz", and the reporters ran with it as a 1st hand quote.

Why would a coach lie about what he said? What does he gain?
Posted Image
MARK RICHT MAKES GOOD HIRE, HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

Booger

Booger

Gump Humper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 29 March 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Why would a coach lie about what he said? What does he gain?

Maybe he lied to frighten other teams away from Honey Badger, lower the draft stock, so he could increase his team's chances of drafting the Badger late & on the cheap.

maybe. but we'll never know, because neither the coach nor the NFL team was never named. Interesting isn't it?

Edited by Booger, 29 March 2014 - 12:10 PM.

When it's 3rd and 10, we shuffle out our secret weapon... he's the only person we ever want calling the next play... some call him the twelfth man.... we call him the whiskey drinker...

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 29 March 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

The man himself said he stopped counting once he hit 10 failed drug tests. He would have been expelled after 3 at Georgia. That's literally the policy. I'm not going to get into arrests etc. I'm just laughing that you're arguing that LSU is the paragon of disciplining players when they take the gutter scum from other schools and have virtually no discipline process whatsoever.

No, he didn't. That's a 2nd hand quote from a coach. Meaning it's hearsay. As in Coach said Player said "xyz", and the reporters ran with it as a 1st hand quote.

This ain't a court of law, the hearsay nonsense is just that, nonsense. No coach is going to lie under those circumstances and set himself up for a libel or defamation of character lawsuit.

The kid not only told NFL teams interviewing him, he confirmed that he told them, saying (and I quote), "I think they know everything already [about my background]. I think they just want you to be honest with them.".

But based on one NFL's coach reaction, it seems Mathieu's honesty really was the best policy.

State and federal regulations require professional athletes to submit to regular drug testing. Because athletes get tested so often, an assistant coach for one NFL team felt Mathieu's statement said just as much about LSU as it did about Mathieu: "If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help," he told USA Today.

But today, Mathieu defended and said the school "has a strong drug testing program and went to great lengths to help [him] in his treatment and recovery," USA Today reports. Mathieu told reporters at pro day, "I think they know everything already [about my background]. I think they just want you to be honest with them." For the time being, his honesty seems to have accidentally deflected the scrutiny from him to his alma mater.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 29 March 2014 - 12:03 PM.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBooger, on 29 March 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Maybe he lied to frighten other teams away from Honey Badger, lower the draft stock, so he could increase his team's chances of drafting the Badger late & on the cheap.

maybe. but we'll never know, because the coach was never named. Interesting isn't it?

That's one adjective; some more appropriate ones are absurd, ridiculous, preposterous, fantastical, unbelievable, silly...
Posted Image

Booger

Booger

Gump Humper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 29 March 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

That's one adjective; some more appropriate ones are absurd, ridiculous, preposterous, fantastical, unbelievable, silly...

TRB asked why I thought the coach would lie. It's funny how neither the NFL coach nor NFL team was named in any of the articles.

But this isn't about 1 LSU player, it's about the plethora of athletes that break the law year after year at UGA.
When it's 3rd and 10, we shuffle out our secret weapon... he's the only person we ever want calling the next play... some call him the twelfth man.... we call him the whiskey drinker...

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 29 March 2014 - 01:25 AM, said:

Logically speaking, I would figure Bama fans would be on my side of the argument after losing to a UGA castoff at Auburn. That cost Bama a likely national title. Yall should want us to keep all of our players away from them.

We shot ourselves in the foot, and certainly fell prey to some season long cheap schemes. I don't really care what Georgia castaways go to Auburn, one guy never really beats a team.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBooger, on 29 March 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

TRB asked why I thought the coach would lie. It's funny how neither the NFL coach nor NFL team was named in any of the articles.

But this isn't about 1 LSU player, it's about the plethora of athletes that break the law year after year at UGA.

Not funny or strange to me; coaches almost always speak on the condition of anonymity when referring to players behavior issues leading up to a draft... volatile topic, speak only if anonymous.

The NFL coach may end up with that player on his team or may look to draft other players from his school in the future; they aren't going to burn any bridges.

The college coach has to consider he may still have several of that player's friends still on the team and doesn't want to foster any ill will in the locker room; nor does he want to look like he's throwing players under the bus, and potentially scare off other recruits.

And, like I said, they aren't about to find themselves on the wrong end of a libel lawsuit... only way to win a libel suit like that is if the plaintiff can prove the person lied about him. If I call somebody a cocksucker, the guy can't sue me if I have a picture of him with a mouthful. :D

But you're right, the topic isn't TM's honesty or pipe proficiency, or even how LSU handles situations, except to say it's different than the school that is the topic.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 29 March 2014 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Not to mention the Posted Image that went on at Okie State when he was there, if you think Miles is a disciplinarian then you are in the right state my friend

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 28 March 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

How do you feel about CMR selling out on the punishment? Commit check fraud while stealing cash from the athletic department and you run laps? I guess this means we will never have to hear the phony tripe about CMR being too much of a disciplinarian again.

Hell I hope so

God knows nobody else around the SEC is suspending people, why the hell should we? It puts us at a disadvantage. Hell look at LSU and AU..... taking scraps from those kicked out of other schools to better themselves

I'm just glad it wasn't drugs, because at least in this instance he can use his own discretion for punishment.

Edited by GatorHater24, 29 March 2014 - 01:34 PM.

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 29 March 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

We shot ourselves in the foot, and certainly fell prey to some season long cheap schemes. I don't really care what Georgia castaways go to Auburn, one guy never really beats a team.

The addition of Marshall at qb was huge for au in the bama game and many others. They don't beat bama or Uga without him.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 29 March 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

He failed over 10 drug tests while at LSU and after he was kicked out they were going to let him back in after year - but then he got arrested again. Yeah, Les Miles is really tough on those players.

Your program is letting 4 players that were arrested for commiting check fraud with their university (athletic department) stipend checks run laps as punishment, your argument is invalid

Redacted

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorHater24, on 29 March 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Hell I hope so

God knows nobody else around the SEC is suspending people, why the hell should we? It puts us at a disadvantage. Hell look at LSU and AU..... taking scraps from those kicked out of other schools to better themselves

I'm just glad it wasn't drugs, because at least in this instance he can use his own discretion for punishment.

Not many SEC schools have 4 players commiting check fraud with their stipends.

Redacted

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postsmokeyone, on 29 March 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Your program is letting 4 players that were arrested for commiting check fraud with their university (athletic department) stipend checks run laps as punishment, your argument is invalid

Only you would make that assumption. Very good chance they will be suspended for an actual game or 2, which is something even spurrier won't do.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDJSdawg, on 29 March 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Only you would make that assumption. Very good chance they will be suspended for an actual game or 2, which is something even spurrier won't do.

lolwut

You've had players beat their girlfriend in the middle of the street and stay on the team. We rarely have players get in trouble, but we had a player hit his girlfriend a few years ago and was gone just like that.

Please find examples of Spurrier being lenient on players who get in legal trouble at SC.

DJSdawg

DJSdawg
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 29 March 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

lolwut

You've had players beat their girlfriend in the middle of the street and stay on the team. We rarely have players get in trouble, but we had a player hit his girlfriend a few years ago and was gone just like that.

Please find examples of Spurrier being lenient on players who get in legal trouble at SC.

The last player that was charged with felony assault at Uga ended his career at nc state FYI.

Byron jeriduea heading into 2012 played. Got the ol offseason suspension like Garcia always did.

Edited by DJSdawg, 29 March 2014 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users