Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

SEC Tournament Mens Bracket

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
648 replies to this topic

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 10 March 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

SECT is typically an excuse for Kentucky fans to drunkenly overrun downtown Atlanta or Nashville and piss of the handful of the other fan bases who actually show up.

And a great place to find free tickets if Kentucky loses.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
There's always that portion of condescending UK fans down there that make the rest of the SEC hate us. I doubt they'll be makin much noise this year
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 10 March 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

And a great place to find free tickets if  when Kentucky loses.

There ya go.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 10 March 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

There ya go.
If i was Mod i would of temp banned you a long time ago.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Here's an article about Billy that better explains why some teams often prefer not to go deep into their conference tourney. BD says we're going to try and win it, and you can't just leave if you're winning; but I'd be surprised if we wore out Young and Prather doing it.

Billy Donovan: Turnaround too short

Updated: March 10, 2014, 5:00 PM ET
Associated Press

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Billy Donovan renewed his long-standing argument Monday that teams playing in conference title games on "Selection Sunday" should not have to return to the court in the NCAA tournament until Friday.

The top-ranked Gators are a lock to open NCAA play Thursday, March 20, in Orlando.

So if Donovan's team advances to the SEC tournament final this week, which would mean playing three games in three days, Florida would follow with a relatively short week considering it would have to travel back to Gainesville and then to Orlando a few days later.

"One thing the NCAA has to look at is any conference that's playing their conference tournament and it goes into Sunday," Donovan said Monday. "Those teams, in my opinion, should not play in the NCAA tournament until Friday because you have to go up there and you have to have a mandatory opening practice on a Wednesday if you're playing Thursday.

"That's not right for those teams, where you've got a team that all of sudden does a heck of a job, they get all the way to Sunday, they win a championship, maybe they miss 'Selection Sunday,' they've got to travel back, they get back on campus on Sunday, they've got to try to recuperate after playing three straight games and they're on a plane Tuesday night going into a place, Wednesday practice, Thursday playing. That's a lot in my opinion."

It's nothing new for Donovan to complain about, either. Donovan has mentioned the short turnarounds just about every year, even when his team isn't the favorite to win the SEC tournament.

The Gators (29-2) have won a school-record 23 consecutive games and became the first team in SEC history to go 18-0 in the regular season.

Florida will play either eighth-seeded Missouri or ninth-seeded Texas A&M on Friday in the SEC tournament. The Gators haven't won the league tourney since 2007, the year they won the second of back-to-back national titles.

Donovan said knowing his team will open NCAA play next Thursday has no bearing on whether they want to win the SEC tournament.

"Of course we do," he said. "None of that stuff is obviously ideal. We'll have to go out there and play regardless. That was just something I would say we need to look at. But I think our guys will be excited about playing. Regardless where it is, we'll have time to get prepared and ready to play. So if we're playing in Orlando, that's great. But our goal right now would be to try to put three games together and play in a championship game on Sunday.

"There's not going to be anything from our perspective where you sit there and say, 'OK, because it's Sunday, let's bail on this tournament early.' We're not going to do that.

We're going to try to do the very, very best we can if we're fortunate enough to play three days."

http://espn.go.com/m...ort-turnarounds
Posted ImagePosted Image
. _ "Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He's lying. Just trying to maintain his rep. With a team like that you should have your eye on the real prize. Give them a few days rest and screw the SEC tourney. NBA coaches rest their players all the time. No reason for college coaches not to.

They'll be a number one seed regardless.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 11 March 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

He's lying. Just trying to maintain his rep. With a team like that you should have your eye on the real prize. Give them a few days rest and screw the SEC tourney. NBA coaches rest their players all the time. No reason for college coaches not to.

They'll be a number one seed regardless.

He's not lying necessarily; we may very well try to win it... but what he doesn't say is who we'll be using in that quest to "win it".

We'll likely see heavy doses of bench, and using starters sparingly... enough to keep them active and warm.
Posted ImagePosted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Or he's upset that he hasn't won it since 2007. That's shocking
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 11 March 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

I kind of doubt that he's upset about that; the article points out that he's always felt that way about teams having to play on a Sunday in a conference tourney and then turn around and have to play again on Thursday in the NCAA tourney.

It's shocking that he hasn't won a title in 6 years? Most coaches don't win one every 6 years, even the guys at traditional basketball schools; hell, most coaches don't win 1 at all... what's shocking is that he won not 1 but 2 at a football-heavy school like UF.

Coach K won the 2nd of his back2back titles in '92. It was 9 years before he finally won another in 2001. It would be another 9 years before he won again in 2010, and that's at Duke.
Dean Smith won 1 in '82 and didn't win another until 11 years later in '93. He was at UNC for 37 years and still only won the 2 titles.
Rick Pitino won 1 in '96 and didn't win another until 17 years later, last year, and that's at 2 basketball rich programs.
Bill Self has been at KU for 11 years, and he still only has the 1 title in 2008.
Jim Boeheim has been at Syracuse nearly 40 years and he still only has the 1 title in 2003.
Tom Izzo has been at MSU for 20 years and he still only has the 1 title in 2000 (against Billy btw).

There are only 2 current coaches to win titles less than 6 years apart. They are Roy Williams, who won in 2005 and 2009 at UNC. He never even won a title in his 16 years at KU.

The other is Jim Calhoun at UConn, who won in 1999 and again 5 years later in 2004; then he won again 7 years later in 2011.

And those are all basketball schools and HOF coaches; so I'm looking at Billy and his 2 titles at UF, a football school, and thinking he's not doing too bad if he has as many or more titles than all but 2 of the coaches in that group of 8, and hasn't been coaching nearly as long as most of them either.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty, 11 March 2014 - 05:19 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
they will be changing the basketball schedule soon. very few watch in the fall and bowl season. don't know what they will do but you can bet the sec tourney will change accordingly.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 11 March 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

Resentment looks ugly on Kentucky fans.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Whatever the reason, he's right.
More to the point, I don't understand why 1 seeds would play on a Thursday/Saturday instead of a Friday/Sunday.

I really don't understand why Kentucky fans hate Donovan.
Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would hate him.

Edited by JoeGator, 11 March 2014 - 07:34 AM.

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 11 March 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

I kind of doubt that he's upset about that; the article points out that he's always felt that way about teams having to play on a Sunday in a conference tourney and then turn around and have to play again on Thursday in the NCAA tourney.

It's shocking that he hasn't won a title in 6 years? Most coaches don't win one every 6 years, even the guys at traditional basketball schools; hell, most coaches don't win 1 at all... what's shocking is that he won not 1 but 2 at a football-heavy school like UF.

Coach K won the 2nd of his back2back titles in '92. It was 9 years before he finally won another in 2001. It would be another 9 years before he won again in 2010, and that's at Duke.
Dean Smith won 1 in '82 and didn't win another until 11 years later in '93. He was at UNC for 37 years and still only won the 2 titles.
Rick Pitino won 1 in '96 and didn't win another until 17 years later, last year, and that's at 2 basketball rich programs.
Bill Self has been at KU for 11 years, and he still only has the 1 title in 2008.
Jim Boeheim has been at Syracuse nearly 40 years and he still only has the 1 title in 2003.
Tom Izzo has been at MSU for 20 years and he still only has the 1 title in 2000 (against Billy btw).

There are only 2 current coaches to win titles less than 6 years apart. They are Roy Williams, who won in 2005 and 2009 at UNC. He never even won a title in his 16 years at KU.

The other is Jim Calhoun at UConn, who won in 1999 and again 5 years later in 2004; then he won again 7 years later in 2011.

And those are all basketball schools and HOF coaches; so I'm looking at Billy and his 2 titles at UF, a football school, and thinking he's not doing too bad if he has as many or more titles than all but 2 of the coaches in that group of 8, and hasn't been coaching nearly as long as most of them either.
Well I was talking about the SEC tourney.
Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 11 March 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Whatever the reason, he's right.
More to the point, I don't understand why 1 seeds would play on a Thursday/Saturday instead of a Friday/Sunday.

I really don't understand why Kentucky fans hate Donovan.
Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would hate him.
What UK fans hate Donovan?
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 11 March 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

What UK fans hate Donovan?

In the past there have been some on here that haven't cared for him at all.
All the Kentucky fans posting on the ESPN articles, newpaper articles about UF-UK, etc.
I didn't know if that was an actual thing or if those are just the idiots.

Some coaches really do suck.
Like Roy Williams, Thad Matta, George Thompson,etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users