Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Stallings Speaks Out ON "One And Done"

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 10 March 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'll bring some extra rope and see if I can trade someone for their bottle.

In all seriousness here's the list on his site.  http://www.coachcal......-coached/  Of those UK guys Goodwin, Teague, Lamb, and Orton are the only ones who left too soon.  Cal told Teague and Lamb they needed to come back to improve, Goodwin I don't know what convo they had, and Orton flat out quit going to class.  All the other freshmen, despite the misinformation out there, completed their second semesters.  

If just Teague returns last year, we don't disintegrate down the stretch after Nerlens goes down.  If Lamb came along, we're looking at another Final Four last year.  As the roster was, we probably don't go past Sweet 16 with Nerlens healthy.

This years meltdown is obviously our own overblown expectations from this class.  Cal shares some of the blame for those expectations, but if they return, we'll judge them further down the road when their time here is complete.

I wouldn't say this year is just a result of overblown expectations; I'd say there's been a pretty obvious shortcoming at the hc position.

Cal keeps talking about what he expects the players to do for themselves without his assistance, and then when they lose, he says, "Well, they're freshmen and that's what freshmen do.".

Uummm, coach, if the players are expected to do all those things for themselves, like subbing at the right times as just 1 example, then what are you getting paid to do?

Players don't have the right attitude. Well, coach, that's your job to instill it in them.
Players aren't ready to go to start games and we come out slow. Well, coach, that's your job to get them in the right frame of mind.
Players have no passion, heart, or fire. Well, coach, that's your job to provide incentive where none exists.
Players keep making the same mistakes over and over; that's what freshmen do. Well, coach, that's your job to eradicate those avoidable, repeated mistakes.
Players don't shoot FT's well. Well, coach, that's your job to make sure they can in practice all week so they're second nature come game-time.
Players don't exhibit any leadership qualities. Well, coach, teaching leadership is in your job description.

I mean, c'mon, every single excuse/reason I've heard from Cal this season is an example of what other coaches in every sport refer to as "coachable moments", opportunities to teach the game to players.

You don't expect kids from hs programs and often disorganized, unstructured AAU ball to already know what it takes to compete in top-level college ball. You may get lucky as a coach and occasionally get some players who do; but you'll know pretty damn quick if they don't.

And when they don't, it's the coach's job to teach them all those things; that's what he gets paid for, teaching. If you expect players to learn all those things on their own through experience, and the players only typically stick around for 1 year, that sure makes for some rough seasons for UK fans as one freshman class after another learns on the job while the coach just watches the implosions and then blames the losses on shortcomings of players he recruited and that are entirely preventable with even a modicum of actual coaching.

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 10 March 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

I wouldn't say this year is just a result of overblown expectations; I'd say there's been a pretty obvious shortcoming at the hc position.

Cal keeps talking about what he expects the players to do for themselves without his assistance, and then when they lose, he says, "Well, they're freshmen and that's what freshmen do.".

Uummm, coach, if the players are expected to do all those things for themselves, like subbing at the right times as just 1 example, then what are you getting paid to do?

Players don't have the right attitude. Well, coach, that's your job to instill it in them.
Players aren't ready to go to start games and we come out slow. Well, coach, that's your job to get them in the right frame of mind.
Players have no passion, heart, or fire. Well, coach, that's your job to provide incentive where none exists.
Players keep making the same mistakes over and over; that's what freshmen do. Well, coach, that's your job to eradicate those avoidable, repeated mistakes.
Players don't shoot FT's well. Well, coach, that's your job to make sure they can in practice all week so they're second nature come game-time.
Players don't exhibit any leadership qualities. Well, coach, teaching leadership is in your job description.

I mean, c'mon, every single excuse/reason I've heard from Cal this season is an example of what other coaches in every sport refer to as "coachable moments", opportunities to teach the game to players.

You don't expect kids from hs programs and often disorganized, unstructured AAU ball to already know what it takes to compete in top-level college ball. You may get lucky as a coach and occasionally get some players who do; but you'll know pretty damn quick if they don't.

And when they don't, it's the coach's job to teach them all those things; that's what he gets paid for, teaching. If you expect players to learn all those things on their own through experience, and the players only typically stick around for 1 year, that sure makes for some rough seasons for UK fans as one freshman class after another learns on the job while the coach just watches the implosions and then blames the losses on shortcomings of players he recruited and that are entirely preventable with even a modicum of actual coaching.
Doing things on their own means putting in the extra time on your own m  he's big on publicly praising the guys who go above and beyond and hopes the others follow suit

I've said numerous times not making them practice free throws is a huge gripe for me.  He expects them to put in the time.   If they were doing that in practice and they shot an extra hundred on their own,   then I could see it.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 11 March 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Doing things on their own means putting in the extra time on your own m  he's big on publicly praising the guys who go above and beyond and hopes the others follow suit

I've said numerous times not making them practice free throws is a huge gripe for me.  He expects them to put in the time.   If they were doing that in practice and they shot an extra hundred on their own,   then I could see it.

Oh, I know you've got some peeves and habits you don't agree with; and I understand his approach of almost shaming other players into following the lead of those that give their all... it's like helmet stickers in football; the coach hopes the other players see the most decorated guy's helmet and will follow his example to get their own decorations. It's the gold star method first instilled in us in kindergarten.

But that method only works if there are consequences for not learning or working hard. If guys see or figure out that they're still going to start or play just as much no matter how they perform or how hard they work, then they have little incentive to be better. Like the Hall example y'all gave; coach put the starters' asses on the bench for an extended period to prove a point... that nobody's spot is guaranteed.

Football coaches do that in preseason all the time if they were unhappy with the previous season's effort; they'll publicly proclaim that nobody's starting position is safe and there are no guarantees going into the first practice... every position is up for grabs.

Makes you wonder if the UK freshmen even fear that with Cal because so far he hasn't really shown that he's inclined to pull a Joe B. on them no matter what happens.

Anyway, there are all kinds of facets to coaching. Recruiting is coaching; in-game X's and O's is coaching; and in-game/halftime adjustments are coaching.

But when I think of coaching, the first thing that pops into my head at this level is practice. I envision the coach being hands-on and teaching the players the finer points of the game and giving refreshers on the fundamentals.

I see teaching spacing, ball movement, defensive responsibility in man2man and zones, breaking presses, ball handling, ball movement, blocking out, hooks, hips, proper use of screens and rubs, everyone's precise, proper position on the floor at any given moment in a variety of offenses and sets, etc., etc..

There are a lot of exceptionally talented players at top programs right now who don't exhibit a good understanding of many of those things; they lack a good basketball IQ if you will.

And if your team is nearing the end of a 30-game season and they're still failing at a lot of those aspects of the game, I don't know who else could be responsible other than the coaching staff.

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't disagree.  Cal has a lot to answer for but if we make a miracle postseason run it'll all be yesterday's news.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 10 March 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

We'll have to see who declares and who returns before we all grab pitchforks, torches and march down Richmond Rd to Cal's front door.

I would push the Harrison's out the door and hit the reset button.

ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Damn @GatorUnvrsty, are you working on an MFA in sports writing? Not that I disagree with anything but you may have set a record for tldr posts!

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

2015 SEC Champs

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
GU can be rather verbose at times

Posted Image

GAMECOCK_FAN

GAMECOCK_FAN
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 11 March 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

GU can be rather verbose at times
Yeah, long winded too. :lol:
2015 Football (0-0, 0-0)
9/3/15 North Carolina (in Charlotte, NC); 9/12/15 Kentucky; 9/19/15 at Georgia; 9/26/15 Central Florida; 10/3/15 at Missouri; 10/10/15 LSU; 10/17/15 Vanderbilt; 10/31/15 at Texas A&M; 11/7/15 at Tennessee; 11/14/15 Florida; 11/21/15 The Citadel; 11/28/15 Clemson

2015-2016 Basketball (0-0, 0-0)
11/14/15 Norfolk State; 11/16/15 Oral Roberts; 11/20/15 vs. DePaul (in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands); 11/22/15 vs. TBD (in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands); 11/23/15 vs. TBD (in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands); 11/27/15 Lipscomb; 11/30/15 Western Carolina; 12/5/15 South Florida; 12/15/15 Drexel; 12/18/15 vs. Clemson (Greenville, SC); 12/22/15 vs. St. John's (Uncasville, CT); 12/30/15 Francis Marion; 1/2/16 Memphis; 1/5/16 at Auburn; 1/9/16 Vanderbilt; 1/13/16 at Alabama; 1/16/16 Missouri; 1/19/16 at Ole Miss; 1/23/16 at Tennessee; 1/26/16 Mississippi State; 1/30/16 Alabama; 2/2/16 at Georgia; 2/6/16 at Texas A&M; 2/10/16 LSU; 2/13/16 Kentucky; 2/16/16 at Missouri; 2/20/16 Florida; 2/24/16 Tennessee; 2/27/16 at Mississippi State; 3/3/16 Georgia; 3/5/16 at Arkansas

2016 Baseball (0-0, 0-0)

UK4Life

UK4Life

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 11 March 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

I would push the Harrison's out the door and hit the reset button.
As great as that sounds, I don't trust our lil 5'7 pg we have coming in. Not for a couple years at least. These kids are freshman. Many ppl forget that and they can't be expected to always be the next D Rose or John Wall.
Kasey Hill was a top 10 recruit in a loaded hs class. Was Wilkaben ever in danger of losing his starting job?
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 11 March 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

As great as that sounds, I don't trust our lil 5'7 pg we have coming in. Not for a couple years at least. These kids are freshman. Many ppl forget that and they can't be expected to always be the next D Rose or John Wall.
Kasey Hill was a top 10 recruit in a loaded hs class. Was Wilkaben ever in danger of losing his starting job?

Never.

They just annoy me with their facial expressions.
It's like they are constantly angry or in pain. I don't know, I just don't like looking at them.
And they do the same stupid stuff that Erving Walker did when he was here. Drive the lane and pray.