Stallings Speaks Out ON "One And Done" - SEC Basketball Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Stallings Speaks Out ON "One And Done"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

NCAA Baseball National Champs 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
http://www.kentucky....ngs-speaks.html
Posted Image

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hogan, we don't link Jerry Tipton articles without warning folks.  Don't give the troll hits.
Posted Image

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This rule has got to change...it is killing college basketball!
Posted Image

Posted Image

possumslayer

possumslayer

Orange & White Supremacist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I say let the guys skip college if they want...if you go tooo college ...3 yr minimum.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Get ready for law suits with this one. Tweak the rule and watch what these one and dones do.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hey Ky...how that one and done working fro ya this season:)  Great job Fla doing it the right way!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We need the baseball rule, plain and simple.
Posted Image

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Imagine if players stayed for the long haul how legit college bball would be. Like the ACC in the 70's and 80's
"It's all about a mindset at Alabama, either you buy into the program or you don't." - CJ Mosley

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kentucky fans definitely want the rule to change.  We'd love to have just graduated John Wall and still have Anthony Davis.
Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Anthony Davis and MKG for a second year? I'd take that
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah, I mean one of the best reasons for kids getting their degree is so they learn what it is to become an adult and be responsible, including being responsible with that instant 7-figure bank account they're about to have; but if they're only staying 1 year they don't learn any of that or take real courses anyway, so it's basically useless.

Every year we hear about multi-million dollar athletes being bankrupt within like 5 or so years from the day of their retirement; and a legit college degree can go a long way toward preventing that, and if an athlete suffers a career-ending injury early in his career and never makes the big money, he'll have the degree that enables him to get a real job.

Every time I hear a coach say that sending these kids along to the NBA right away is for their benefit I just want to slap the taste out of his mouth; because how is it beneficial to send a kid up without first teaching him to handle that kind of money... if that same kid suffers a few ACL, MCL, or Achilles injuries, his next job is asking, "Would you like fries with that?". He can't even go into coaching because even coaches need at least a Bachelor's.

Despite the BS opinions of some Rupp Rafters idiots, BD NEVER holds any kids back if they choose to go pro; but he is very honest with them and tells them what kind of further development they can expect staying AND going.

Having all the information, most of UF's kids choose to stay and develop under Billy rather than in the NBA right away; and consequently, having made an informed choice, they actually enter the league in a much better position to contribute right away, and NBA GM's, scouts, and coaches say it repeatedly about Billy's kids when they come in.

You look at somebody like Patric Young; he could've gone at any time over the last 3 years, but he promised his family he'd be a college graduate and he's grown into a much better all-around, complete player during that time. He's also an Academic All-American with an endless number of options as an adult.

That's what a degree will provide for Pat; he's grounded, a better decision-maker, and is set vocationally because that degree is an insurance policy against minimum wage.

Degrees provide options; and turning boys into responsible men and sending them out into the real world with as many options as possible is really what's beneficial for the players... not just sending them up unprepared.
Posted ImagePosted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Cal's logic is if they're  to get guaranteed draft money going in the top 10-15 picks then they probably need to go.   They can help their families abs aren't likelY to improve their draft stock.   That makes sense. The problem comes with the guys who are looking to get drafted after that.
Posted Image

UK4Life

UK4Life
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 10 March 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

Yeah, I mean one of the best reasons for kids getting their degree is so they learn what it is to become an adult and be responsible, including being responsible with that instant 7-figure bank account they're about to have; but if they're only staying 1 year they don't learn any of that or take real courses anyway, so it's basically useless.

Every year we hear about multi-million dollar athletes being bankrupt within like 5 or so years from the day of their retirement; and a legit college degree can go a long way toward preventing that, and if an athlete suffers a career-ending injury early in his career and never makes the big money, he'll have the degree that enables him to get a real job.

Every time I hear a coach say that sending these kids along to the NBA right away is for their benefit I just want to slap the taste out of his mouth; because how is it beneficial to send a kid up without first teaching him to handle that kind of money... if that same kid suffers a few ACL, MCL, or Achilles injuries, his next job is asking, "Would you like fries with that?". He can't even go into coaching because even coaches need at least a Bachelor's.

Despite the BS opinions of some Rupp Rafters idiots, BD NEVER holds any kids back if they choose to go pro; but he is very honest with them and tells them what kind of further development they can expect staying AND going.

Having all the information, most of UF's kids choose to stay and develop under Billy rather than in the NBA right away; and consequently, having made an informed choice, they actually enter the league in a much better position to contribute right away, and NBA GM's, scouts, and coaches say it repeatedly about Billy's kids when they come in.

You look at somebody like Patric Young; he could've gone at any time over the last 3 years, but he promised his family he'd be a college graduate and he's grown into a much better all-around, complete player during that time. He's also an Academic All-American with an endless number of options as an adult.

That's what a degree will provide for Pat; he's grounded, a better decision-maker, and is set vocationally because that degree is an insurance policy against minimum wage.

Degrees provide options; and turning boys into responsible men and sending them out into the real world with as many options as possible is really what's beneficial for the players... not just sending them up unprepared.
If a player is a lottery pick then it would be a travesty if they didn't go to the draft. No doubt earning a degree is important for their lives but if they endure a career ending injury then that coach should feel like absolute Posted Image. Money or not, these kids dream is to play professionally. It's kind of a double edged sword because sometimes it is in a player's best interest to go pro rather than stay and get a degree.

I don't know what ppl on RR say but I doubt a coach like Billy d holds kids back.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUK4Life, on 10 March 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

If a player is a lottery pick then it would be a travesty if they didn't go to the draft. No doubt earning a degree is important for their lives but if they endure a career ending injury then that coach should feel like absolute Posted Image. Money or not, these kids dream is to play professionally. It's kind of a double edged sword because sometimes it is in a player's best interest to go pro rather than stay and get a degree.

I don't know what ppl on RR say but I doubt a coach like Billy d holds kids back.

Well, Beal only stayed a year, but he was unusual. Despite Billy being a guard himself when he played, his specialty really seems to be building big men, primarily forwards and centers.

Just a glance at the Gator/NBA roster shows some pretty convincing results...

Matt Bonner - 6'10" - 9 years
Corey Brewer - 6'9" - 6 years
Udonis Haslem - 6'8" - 10 years
Al Horford - 6'10" - 6 years
David Lee - 6'9" - 8 years
Mike Miller - 6'8" - 13 years
Erik Murphy - 6'10" - Rookie
Joakim Noah - 6'11" - 6 years
Chandler Parsons - 6'9" - 2 years
Marreese Speights - 6'10" - 5 years

I'm not sure any of those guys would've been ready to enter the league and contribute right away after only 1 year.

Other players, like Cousins, are able to pull it off; but those guys are usually the exception imho... and even he could've benefited from some additional maturation and structure; he's still an asshole thug.
Posted ImagePosted Image

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm done with them as soon as they head to the NBA no matter what year they leave but yeah this rule needs looking into.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users