Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

The Official 2014 SEC Baseball Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2118 replies to this topic

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

We are average this year. its a down year for us sure. We've lost 11 1 run ballgames. That's how close the margin for error is though.

I'm guessing you didn't read the article I posted a couple weeks back. I'm not going to dig it up or try and get the exact numbers, but basically if you took away I believe 4 of our games this year, our SOS would be in the top 5.

And the RPI revamp is so bogus I won't even get into it.

No, I read the article.
I've never said the RPI is faultless because sometimes it is ridiculous.
I don't really think Arkansas is the 51st best team or whatever it has you at.

I've just seen you rail the RPI, say road wins aren't that important, how you aren't worried about _______, the weak offense doesn't matter too much, etc.
At some point it becomes important.

I tend to think we are riding on the right side of luck lately, but I'm fine admitting that.

As far as F$U goes, I would definitely take their weekend rotation over ours.
They threw their midweek guys at us and we threw our 4/5/6 which is almost the same as our 2/3.

Edited by JoeGator, 09 May 2014 - 01:18 PM.

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'll absolutely rail the RPI every chance I get. And I'm not the only one. OM is up in the top 10 and GR will tell you its a BS formula as well.
Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
And yeah I'm probably still bitter than we could go 19-11 in the SEC a year ago and not host a regional because of the RP goddamn I

Edited by jacobp, 09 May 2014 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

GR, I know you're a numbers guy, but with baseball in general you just need to throw the SOS and RPI talk out the window. Especially the RPI. its a terribly bogus formula.

I didn't post any RPI numbers; but SOS is a legit compilation.

And I don't even have to use that, because we've swept FSU, LSU, and @ Bama; and won series against UAr, and @ USC... essentially 5 of the top 10 or 15 teams in the country.

So it's fine with me if you use the eye-test, sniff-test, or whatever else you prefer other than the stats; because those results are facts too, and they definitely passed the tests with flying colors.

Can't imagine what you're using to try and diminish all those facts and figures... are you just asserting that UF has gotten lucky 5 times, on the road, at home, and at neutral locales?
Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 09 May 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

I didn't post any RPI numbers; but SOS is a legit compilation.

And I don't even have to use that, because we've swept FSU, LSU, and @ Bama; and won series against UAr, and @ USC... essentially 5 of the top 10 or 15 teams in the country.

So it's fine with me if you use the eye-test, sniff-test, or whatever else you prefer other than the stats; because those results are facts too, and they definitely passed the tests with flying colors.

Can't imagine what you're using to try and diminish all those facts and figures... are you just asserting that UF has gotten lucky 5 times, on the road, at home, and at neutral locales?
I'm not diminishing anything. UF has done nothing but win games and is deserving of any ranking, position, etc. that they get or have already gotten.
Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

I'll absolutely rail the RPI every chance I get. And I'm not the only one. OM is up in the top 10 and GR will tell you its a BS formula as well.
I think we're like 14 in RPI, after being like 3 last week.
#8 Ole Miss Rebels: 8-2(4-2)
Laquon Treadwell@SuccessfulQuon
Injuries part of the game we love to play, god has a plan for everyone & with that plan come obstacles. Keep your faith & jump the hurdle!
Posted Image
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
You can cheat the RPI system and it kills the smaller schools by doing do. It's essential for programs like ms valley state or Alabama state to play sec teams. Even then those programs are barely scraping by. But by scheduling then you automatically kill your RPI. The logical thing to do is schedule the hardest teams imaginable because even if you lose them your RPI will be high. It's a flawed system and always will be.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'm not diminishing anything. UF has done nothing but win games and is deserving of any ranking, position, etc. that they get or have already gotten.

Believe me, I'm as surprised as anybody; you can go back to my first posts and impressions about our team at the beginning of the season, and see I was pretty pessimistic and hard on us.

But they've come on strong. It's kind of like what UK did in basketball, with all the freshmen, but the UF players just didn't wait until the tourney to start playing big-boy ball.

As for Sully, I've always been a little critical of his micro-managing games; and sometimes think he outsmarts himself.

At the same time, I have literally seen him win some 1-run games this year with some brilliant strategies and that same micro-managing... so it's hard to be too critical. I personally think we're 14-6 in 1-run games largely because of his decisions in tight games.

He'll have our fans scratching their heads sometimes, asking, "WTF is he doing?"; only to eventually see what he was doing all along later in the inning or later innings... like chess, he thinks several moves ahead.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Teams built for deep postseason runs don't have TBA and TBA in their weekend rotation is what I think he means.
It doesn't make much sense.
If we were to lose a game in a regional, I would be very nervous trying to make it out.

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 09 May 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Teams built for deep postseason runs don't have TBA and TBA in their weekend rotation is what I think he means.
If we were to lose a game in a regional, I would be very nervous trying to make it out.

Msu did last year. It's all about who has the most quality arms and y'all have quite a few. Mix and match it anyway you can to use it to your advantage. Sometimes it works to your advantage instead of having a structured setup where guy B pitches game 2 each weekend. What if guy B is a fly ball pitcher facing Kentucky in the regional?  No Posted Image that. Throw him a different game. Play matchups. This is something bianco NEVER does and it always costs him in the postseason

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 09 May 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

When you've got as many freshman as we do, the starting job interviews and assessments are going to be going on right up to tourney time.

We also have a lot of talent on the mound; 5 guys have an ERA of 3 or less... 4 of those 5 are below 2.5.

It's a good problem to have; but it's still a problem from a competition standpoint, to nail down starters.
Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Official: Baxendale out with hamstring injury and Jake wise out with concussion like symptoms because of a moron at Ole Miss.

We are burning a redshirt this late in the season for a catcher, Alex Gosser.
Posted Image

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Official: Baxendale out with hamstring injury and Jake wise out with concussion like symptoms because of a moron at Ole Miss.

We are burning a redshirt this late in the season for a catcher, Alex Gosser.
Yeah, that was a stupid slide. Not dirty, but stupid
Injuries part of the game we love to play, god has a plan for everyone & with that plan come obstacles. Keep your faith & jump the hurdle!
Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What exactly happened?  I wasnt able to watch Friday's...just caught some of it on the radio.  @jacobp @adfalcon

adfalcon

adfalcon

Bo Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 09 May 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

What exactly happened?  I wasnt able to watch Friday's...just caught some of it on the radio.  @jacobp @adfalcon
Someone was rounding third to go home on a single, Arkansas catcher dived to tag him out, runners foot hit his head on a pretty wild slide.
I don't remember well, jacobp might know it better.
Posted Image