Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

The Official 2014 SEC Baseball Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2118 replies to this topic

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 09 May 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

I could coach at Florida and make the cws every other year

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

This is my thinking as well. If there's a school that probably should be there more often than anyone, its Florida.

Actually, it's quite the opposite; Sully frequently gets great classes, but they're often so good that half the guys never make it to campus because they were drafted highly enough to skip college.

This year was one of the rare occasions when most of his class actually made it to UF; and they're performing a little ahead of schedule... most of us thought it'd take a year before all these freshmen got acclimated and played top tier ball.

It also says a lot about Sully's development of players; because despite the fact that he usually ends up with some of the lesser players who weren't MLB-ready, he's had 33 players drafted since 2010... that's the most of any SEC program and 3rd most in the country.
Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 09 May 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

That's true; but you just described half the teams in the SEC.

I'd take their stable of arms over anyone in the nation sans Oregon State.  Their biggest obstacle from here on out is Mike Martin.

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 09 May 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Actually, it's quite the opposite; Sully frequently gets great classes, but they're often so good that half the guys never make it to campus because they were drafted highly enough to skip college.

Everyone in the SEC gets hit with this every year. If we had gotten everyone to campus that committed to us the last 2 seasons I'd probably have guaranteed us a CWS championship in a 3 year window.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 09 May 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

take away one bad series and we have done the same, we will fare better in the postseason if we play at our potential, I promise that.

I'm not disparaging what you've already accomplished; OM's a great club.

But I also look at who the 2 teams have faced; and UF is playing the #1 schedule in the country, while OM's is ranked #23.
Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 09 May 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'd take their stable of arms over anyone in the nation sans Oregon State.  Their biggest obstacle from here on out is Mike Martin.
I'd agree with their arms (although I still don't think they will win it all).

They have 4 legit starters. And no, not even half the teams in the SEC have that. Most have 3 lockdown starters and then platoon it from there.
Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
GR, I know you're a numbers guy, but with baseball in general you just need to throw the SOS and RPI talk out the window. Especially the RPI. its a terribly bogus formula.
Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

GR, I know you're a numbers guy, but with baseball in general you just need to throw the SOS and RPI talk out the window. Especially the RPI. its a terribly bogus formula.

I hate RPI. Has way to much influence on important factors.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postadfalcon, on 09 May 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

take away one bad series and we have done the same, we will fare better in the postseason if we play at our potential, I promise that.

That's a ridiculous assertion.

As always.
I can't wait for him to go Bobby Bowden on their asses and burn the program to the ground on his way out.

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

I really get the feeling you're just trying to justify Arkansas being very average.
You've been saying all season that basically every quantitative measure of success is unimportant.

Edited by JoeGator, 09 May 2014 - 01:08 PM.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

I guess Gator fans are just more attuned to what they can and can't do because of familiarity.

UF is in no way, shape, or form a good hitting ball club; but we torched their pitching staff for an 8-0 win, a 4-1 win, and a 3-1 win... away, neutral, and home.

Looking at those numbers I'd have to conclude I'd rather have our staff at this point.
Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 09 May 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

That's a ridiculous assertion.

As always.
I can't wait for him to go Bobby Bowden on their asses and burn the program to the ground on his way out.

I really get the feeling you're just trying to justify Arkansas being very average.
You've been saying all season that basically every quantitative measure of success is unimportant.
We are average this year. its a down year for us sure. We've lost 11 1 run ballgames. That's how close the margin for error is though.

I'm guessing you didn't read the article I posted a couple weeks back. I'm not going to dig it up or try and get the exact numbers, but basically if you took away I believe 4 of our games this year, our SOS would be in the top 5.

And the RPI revamp is so bogus I won't even get into it.

Edited by jacobp, 09 May 2014 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
@jacobp you want the best example in the world why RPI is complete bullPosted Image. Old dominion. RPI of 28. Conference USA record of 14-13.

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
@JoeGator I changed my mind.   http://www.baseballa...-a-closer-look/

s a result, Arkansas ranks 46th in strength of schedule. Remove the three games against MVSU, and its SOS jumps to sixth. Take away the two games against Grambling, and it jumps to No. 1.

read, learn, grow.

Edited by jacobp, 09 May 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 09 May 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Everyone in the SEC gets hit with this every year. If we had gotten everyone to campus that committed to us the last 2 seasons I'd probably have guaranteed us a CWS championship in a 3 year window.

That's right, and none of the rest of you have a title, either; so it's hardly a case of UF or Sully underperforming.

USC was the only SEC team able to put it all together; and we were their victims in the finals in 2011... lost by 1 run and 3 runs.

It ain't easy to win; FSU has been to 36 straight tourneys and 21 CWS and still haven't ever won.
Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've said nothing about UF as a program under performing. I just don't think he's an elite manager. I'm fine if we disagree on that.
Posted Image

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjacobp, on 08 May 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

ESPN's college baseball predictions are always horrible. I wouldn't rely on them. Perfect Game's are always way more accurate.

PG has us as a 3 seed in Tallahassee. We own FSU in the postseason. If we could win that regional we'd have South Carolina in the Supers.

You're assuming we would make the Supers.

Bold prediction thread is over there...

Superman never made any money

Saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man

Like him

Formerly known as bmccall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users