Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Official 2014 Atlanta Braves Season Thread

* * * * * 2 votes

2270 replies to this topic

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kimbrel. Is. Fine.

Gonna take a lot more than two rocky outings for me to worry about him.

Don't stir the pot, Neil.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

4-0 (1-0)

Next Game: @ Ole Miss Rebels

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

Oxford, Mississippi

Hail2TheTide

Hail2TheTide
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
17-7 record, I'm happy.
The 2014 Alabama Football Revenge Tour:

West Virginia: W
Florida Atlantic: W
Southern Miss: W
Florida: W
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:
Texas A&M:
Tennessee:
LSU:
Mississippi State:
Western Carolina:

Auburn:

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 27 April 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

I like how you're seemingly making two sides to Kimbrel, giving his usual consistency. You did prove my statement true with your stats, that he's an amazing closer, yet some how with a couple of bad outings you call him a retarded name. L.M.A.O

Get. The. :lanekiffin:. Out. Of. Here. With. Your. Tired. Ass. Arguing. Stupid. Fawking. Points. Bullshat.

I don't give a damn why you called him Posted Imagebrel, your reasoning is laughable. Crucify Uggla or someone easier, not the best closer in baseball.

Given his usual consistent amazingness, wouldn't a string of bad or mediocre appearances be another side compared to his usual greatness? Oh wait, I forgot I'm trying to reason with the unreasonable here. My bad.

You talk to me about "arguing"... You're the one that commented on my post first; maybe you should take your own advice here. I wasn't talking to you when I started posting in this thread; you asked for that yourself.
Maybe you should be the one to GTFO with your BS.

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 27 April 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

Kimbrel. Is. Fine.

Gonna take a lot more than two rocky outings for me to worry about him.

Don't stir the pot, Neil.

I never even criticized Kimbrel or said that something was wrong, I just said he had a few bad outings in a row, which is an observable fact, not criticism. I still want to see a few more good outings before I'm 100% sure he's fine, but he appears to be as of now.

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 27 April 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I never even criticized Kimbrel or said that something was wrong, I just said he had a few bad outings in a row, which is an observable fact, not criticism. I still want to see a few more good outings before I'm 100% sure he's fine, but he appears to be as of now.

I think it was the use of the phrase 'Posted Image-brel' that  was a little overboard. And I think you only used it a second time to get Tider more riled up.

You're both right. It wasn't "normal" pitching from Kimbrel and thus it may be cause for a bit of concern/speculation (I am simply a Kimbrel homer and I refuse to panic), and Tider's right in that there are a hell of a lot more players on the roster to attach to the 'Posted Image' stigma that are far more deserving of it.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

4-0 (1-0)

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

Oxford, Mississippi

MCD

MCD

His initials are Boyd Crowder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Marteen is currently hitting .234 :(  My baby.

Still better than Struggla!
Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 27 April 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Given his usual consistent amazingness, wouldn't a string of bad or mediocre appearances be another side compared to his usual greatness? Oh wait, I forgot I'm trying to reason with the unreasonable here. My bad.

You talk to me about "arguing"... You're the one that commented on my post first; maybe you should take your own advice here. I wasn't talking to you when I started posting in this thread; you asked for that yourself.
Maybe you should be the one to GTFO with your BS.

You don't have another side when you have TWO BAD OUTINGS, and on the 2nd he struck out the side before we WON. Your never ending explaining of your absolutely Posted Image point of views is what makes you unbearable.

Dan wrapped up my sentiments anyway, don't call a player Posted Image when he's obviously the best.

Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMCD, on 27 April 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Marteen is currently hitting .234 :(  My baby.

Still better than Struggla!

D-Backs become sellers and we trade for him at the deadline.

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

4-0 (1-0)

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

Oxford, Mississippi

MCD

MCD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 27 April 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

D-Backs become sellers and we trade for him at the deadline.

I like the way you think, pilgrim.
Posted Image

MCD

MCD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Am I the only one constantly amazed at BJ's play?  Can't hit, drops a fly ball, nearly gets picked off first... good Lord.  At least be good at one thing.

I would say that at least Uggla can still run the bases but we don't really know if he can or not, do we?

Edited by MCD, 27 April 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If Johnson doesn't get back into his swing of last season, Prado coming back would be amazing with this lineup.

Posted Image

HFS

HFS

Everything is so Shakespeare to these Hoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
From David Schoenfeld:

1. Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver -- who knew a thing or two about good pitching staffs -- is widely credited with saying, "Momentum? Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher."

If that's the case, the Atlanta Braves are riding a huge wave of it, because the performance of their starting rotation continues to amaze. We're now 24 games into the season, 15 percent of the schedule, and Braves starters have allowed more than two earned runs in a game just twice and more than two runs just four times.

The latest gem was Julio Teheran's eight shutout innings on Sunday. Teheran had no margin for error because Reds starter Johnny Cueto matched him pitch for pitch, zero for zero. The starters handed the game over to the bullpens, and the Braves finally broke through in the bottom of the 10th when Freddie Freeman singled to deep center to with two outs to score Jason Heyward with the walk-off run.

It was Atlanta's fourth straight win, as they improved to 17-7 with a National League-best plus-31 run differential. With a tip of the cap to the 18-7 Milwaukee Brewers, the Braves have been baseball's best team in April.

The Teheran-Cueto duel was maybe a signature game for Teheran, going up against one of the hottest pitchers in baseball. Cueto has now allowed one run in his past 30 innings while Teheran has allowed one in his past 24. One of those was a 1-0 complete game shutout over Cliff Lee. It's time to start acknowledging that Teheran has developed into a No. 1 starter. Over the past calendar year Teheran has made 32 starts and only Clayton Kershaw and Jose Fernandez have a lower ERA than Teheran's 2.58.

"He's proving to people that he deserves to be the ace,” Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmonstold MLB.com after the game. "He normally strikes out a lot of people. But I think he went about his job a little different today. He threw strikes, threw great and went against a guy that was throwing really good. They were head-to-head the whole time they were out there. That's pretty impressive. What more can you ask?"

A big reason for Teheran's success has been an improved slider -- batters are hitting .111 against it (4-for-36) with 14 strikeouts and no walks. While the slider was a good strikeout pitch for Teheran as a rookie in 2013 -- he recorded 51 knockouts in 152 plate appearances ending with the pitch -- he also had a tendency to leave some flat ones up in the zone, and nine of the 22 home runs he allowed came off that pitch.

Against the Reds, he fanned just five but also allowed just three hits -- a testament to the movement on his pitches, but also to a defense that entered Sunday with 27 Defensive Runs Saved, best in the majors. His toughest jam came in the fifth when Ryan Ludwick led off with a double, but Teheran fanned Zack Cozart and Cueto with Ludwick on third to escape. Just like an ace.

Can the rotation -- which might get Mike Minor back on Saturday--– keep this up? Well, of course not. It has a 1.57 ERA, with an opponents' batting line of .201/.261/.279. Basically, they've turned the entire National League into Mario Mendoza (career line: .215/.245/.262). Still, it's one of the great stretches of dominance I can remember a rotation being on, the ultimate example of one starter seemingly feeding off the next, not to dissimilar from the days ofGreg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz.

Going back 30 years to 1985, here are the starting rotations with a sub-2.00 ERA in a calendar month:

2011 Phillies: June -- 1.96 (27 games)
1985 Cubs: April -- 1.94 (18 games)
1992 Braves: July -- 1.92 (25 games)
2012 Nationals: April -- 1.78 (22 games)
1992 Cubs: July -- 1.72 (24 games)
1994 Braves: August: 1.61 (10 games)

That's a short list, and one of those entries came in the strike-shortened 1994 campaign.

The Braves have two games left in April -- Tuesday and Wednesday in Miami -- to finish off their historic month of pitching. Tuesday's matchup: Alex Wood versus Fernandez, a rematch of last week's 1-0 duel when the two pitchers combined for 25 strikeouts and no walks.

I'll take the under on the total runs.

Posted Image
Formerly known as HardFightinSoldier

adfalcon

adfalcon

OMAHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMCD, on 27 April 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Am I the only one constantly amazed at BJ's play?  Can't hit, drops a fly ball, nearly gets picked off first... good Lord.  At least be good at one thing.

I would say that at least Uggla can still run the bases but we don't really know if he can or not, do we?
BJ is actually playing a lot better this year. He is hitting balls 10X harder and has his confidence back, his numbers may not be great, but I bet he will be hitting around the .250 or .260 mark at the end of the year.
Posted Image

BulldawgFan, on 18 August 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

What makes you think Bama is head and toes above MSU?
Formerly known as #ThisisMULLENSstate

The Cowboy

The Cowboy
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
On paper you'd never know it, but BJ is actually hitting the ball with some authority this year.

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
hes hitting the ball hard even if its an out....he and Simba both. Now if we can get Uggly hitting with some authority, we'll be in good shape.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users